Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another BOV thread from me. Anyone running a blow off valve on stock hot side charge piping? I have came across a total of 1 picture so far on the forums, and it was just of the flange with the pipe off the car. I'd like to see some installed pics if anyone has them, to see how the various valves fit/work, etc.

I'm looking at a Tial Q or some other small turbosmart options. That Tial is big, want to make sure it will fit OK before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need to get the exhale kit from cpe if you want to run a bov like that. the stock charge pipes are rubber.
have you looked at the intercooler piping? The hot side has a section of metal/steel piping. I really don't feel like paying $200+ for a small alum pipe like the exhale kit for minimal benefit at best. Plus I don't really have plans to upgrade the RMM, and they recommend one with the pipe due to the area being super tight already.

I need a blow off valve and there should be space on the stock hot side metal pipe, trying to not make it any more complicated or expensive than it needs to be. Only drawback I guess is I will permanently modify a stock part. But they make cheap block off plates too I guess.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
have you looked at the intercooler piping? The hot side has a section of metal/steel piping. I really don't feel like paying $200+ for a small alum pipe like the exhale kit for minimal benefit at best. Plus I don't really have plans to upgrade the RMM, and they recommend one with the pipe due to the area being super tight already.

I need a blow off valve and there should be space on the stock hot side metal pipe, trying to not make it any more complicated or expensive than it needs to be. Only drawback I guess is I will permanently modify a stock part. But they make cheap block off plates too I guess.
Bumping this thread.. did you put a bov on the stock hot side? I'm going big turbo soon and thinking about putting a tial on the Hotside

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Bumping this thread.. did you put a bov on the stock hot side? I'm going big turbo soon and thinking about putting a tial on the Hotside
big turbo on stock charge pipes? that sounds like problems waiting to happen.

OP: also interest if this got done. it can be done if you can weld a Tial flange to the stock pipe. it isn't idle for the BOV to be on the hot side but it should work all the same.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Another BOV thread from me. Anyone running a blow off valve on stock hot side charge piping? I have came across a total of 1 picture so far on the forums, and it was just of the flange with the pipe off the car. I'd like to see some installed pics if anyone has them, to see how the various valves fit/work, etc.

I'm looking at a Tial Q or some other small turbosmart options. That Tial is big, want to make sure it will fit OK before I pull the trigger.

Thanks
I will take a photo of whatever you want just let me know.

you need to get the exhale kit from cpe if you want to run a bov like that. the stock charge pipes are rubber.
no you don't, and not all of it is.

I have.

big turbo on stock charge pipes? that sounds like problems waiting to happen.

OP: also interest if this got done. it can be done if you can weld a Tial flange to the stock pipe. it isn't idle for the BOV to be on the hot side but it should work all the same.
I've been running a Tial Q on hotside pipe, big turbo since February of 2015

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I will take a photo of whatever you want just let me know.

no you don't, and not all of it is.

I have.

I've been running a Tial Q on hotside pipe, big turbo since February of 2015
Yeah I know you can ... just never seen anyone do it... surprised more people don't because there is a lot more room on that side. I have the Exhale TIAL kit and it is smashed in its location

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Yeah I know you can ... just never seen anyone do it... surprised more people don't because there is a lot more room on that side. I have the Exhale TIAL kit and it is smashed in its location
There's quite a few of us running it exactly like I have mine. I am not a fan of the exhale kit at all. AT. ALL. <--for clarity

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
There's quite a few of us running it exactly like I have mine. I am not a fan of the exhale kit at all. AT. ALL. <--for clarity
what is wrong with it?

Do you have pictures of your setup? I have been around and I have yet to see anyone with a hot side BOV... I know no one makes a "kit" for a hot side BOV

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
what is wrong with it?

Do you have pictures of your setup? I have been around and I have yet to see anyone with a hot side BOV... I know no one makes a "kit" for a hot side BOV
I just have the one photo the OP referenced, I intend to snap a few for him so I will post em up this evening or tomorrow

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up getting a vband flange welded onto the 2.5" Depo cold side pipe, purely so it would be ideally positioned to be close to my symposer delete vacuum source. My big limiting factor was finding a good, trustworthy welder/fabber around here, but I got that figured out.

If you had a full cold side piping kit, theres a few good options on the hot side as well. On the stock small hot pipe, there's not a lot of places to put it, but yes you could make it work.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
what is wrong with it?

There is nothing wrong with it. Why spend the extra money when you don't have to and there's no clear benefit from having it closer to the throttle body? Ms DHM car had it mounted on the stock hot side.

Unless you have a problem locating a decent welder then maybe going with a "kit" from the three or four vendors they sell them might be the best thing for you. LA has no shortage of talented welders just flaky.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I will be installing a Greddy type S this weekend, using the stock hot side rubber charge pipe. I will document my install.
I would love to see and heard that!!!

There is nothing wrong with it. Why spend the extra money when you don't have to and there's no clear benefit from having it closer to the throttle body? Ms DHM car had it mounted on the stock hot side.

Unless you have a problem locating a decent welder then maybe going with a "kit" from the three or four vendors they sell them might be the best thing for you. LA has no shortage of talented welders just flaky.
yeah didn't think there was an issue with it but just sounded like much hate just because it is a expensive, but not very many people want to spend the time or money fabbing something up... most people wont and easier to just buy.

I am planning to get the Depo charge pipes and welding on a Tial flange. sounds like a fun project if nothing else :) I have a welder and can weld it on very easily

·
Registered
736 Posts
Exale kit sits way to close, and the cold side pipe sucks to put on, never wanna take mine off again...A

What spring do we run on the Tial? I'm stock turbo for now, and will probably upgrade to the 2863 or something.

TB Performance is making a new Hot Side kit, I will be waiting for his kit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts