Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Sorry for the newb question, but I figured its relevant to this thread, so I'm gonna ask away here.

I do not have an aftermarket bov/bpv, but I have a rousch intake (and depo intercooler) and im currently running the cobb OTS stage 2 tune. My car seems to "blow off" so frequently it drives me nuts. Its hard to just try to maintain speed while driving, and not sound like a ricer. Literally every time I let off the gas I hear it blowing off or fluttering. Thats also my other problem, is I get a LOT of turbo flutter when I am being very light on the throttle. I know its not necessarily bad, but it drives me crazy.

So my real question is, does changing the vaccuum source for the BPV make all of this go away? Is it even possible with the stock BPV? Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to get rid of this? I plan on upgrading my exhaust in the spring and then getting a better tune...not sure if a better tune will take care of it or not.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all help.

It actually works well with the stock BPV because its not blowing to atmosphere but back into the intake tract. It will stop it from constantly bypassing but will not fix the surge. Its not flutter. the stock turbo surges really bad at low rpm light throttle

·
Registered
163 Posts

It actually works well with the stock BPV because its not blowing to atmosphere but back into the intake tract. It will stop it from constantly bypassing but will not fix the surge. Its not flutter. the stock turbo surges really bad at low rpm light throttle
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. I'll probably just leave it as-is then.

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts

The stock turbo doesn't surge like you think it does. The factory control for the valve is computer controlled. So the valve acts a bit differently than a true vacuum controlled one. I noticed a difference with my TiAL when I switched to the updated cp-e components. This allowed me to run off the manifold and not the factory source.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Quick update. The GFB valve is in the car off the oem solenoid as my maptap is still in the mail. It is not venting erratically or too often so I am happy with it so far. I set it pretty quiet. ~75% recirc 25% vta. Will try the maptap when it arrives.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts