Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought a really screwed up focus st for an “ok” price. I likely overpaid because the car is essentially worthless as it stands. It’s totally modified, has an oil leak, aftermarket turbo, makes weird noises when initially shifting and accelerating, almost like a creaking noise in the frame but I doubt it’s that. No accidents on carfax. Other than that it’s NOT TOO BAD.. a ford dealer is looking at it and told me about -no cat (causing CEL), -oil leak... I’m waiting to hear back about “the rest”

Now I’m prepared to put some money in this thing to make it workable. It’s a 2014 with 42k miles. Now my only question is do you think it will be worth it to put money into it, or do you think it’s so beat up that wouldn’t be worth it. I’m bringing it to a reputable performance shop next week for a quote on rebuilding it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What are the mods, got a part list? If you are unsure, start posting pictures of varius parts and we can tell you what they are. Did it come with a tuner or who is/has done the tuning on it? Oil leak could be minor, where is it coming from and how much is leaking. The CEL is expected with a catless dp (tune will turn it off and tune for it.) Are you in an emmisions state and/or do you plan on adding a catted down pipe?

You sound like you are venting a bit/buyers remorse. Did you drive the car prior to buying or get it looked over by a mechanic? How much did you spend and how much are you willing to spend? Big turbo ST can be reliable and more importantly extremely fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate your response thank you very much. I rushed into it big time, and yes, this post is a result of some buyers remorse. BUT I knew it was a cheap deal and I figured there would be issues. The goal is a fun car that is built up a bit. I have the money to build it up
I did not have a mechanic look at it. And I now realize i screwed up there. Which might be a really bad thing if this goes south.
It seems that it has
-intercooler
-exhaust
-turbo
-no suspension mods
I am not sure about the rest. I will update after the performance shop looks at it.
I am very inexperienced with cars and am starting this thread to keep it updated and/or ask for advice as this plays out... I appreciate any input. If I can put 5-7k and bring this car back to life, I am very happy. i will update after I hear from the dealer today and then the performance shop next week.

As soon as I get the car back I will try to take some pics, but unfortunately I don’t have anything to look under the car ..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the mods, got a part list? -answered above.
If you are unsure, start posting pictures of varius parts and we can tell you what they are. -I will do that when I get the car back from the dealer

Did it come with a tuner or who is/has done the tuning on it? -no it didn’t come with a tuner. And that I am not sure about.
Oil leak could be minor, where is it coming from and how much is leaking.- waiting to hear back from the dealer about this.
The CEL is expected with a catless dp (tune will turn it off and tune for it.) Are you in an emmisions state and/or do you plan on adding a catted down pipe?
Yes I am in Illinois. Depending on the quality of the exhaust they put in, I may keep it if possible. Otherwise if the performance shop recommends changing it I will.

-I spent 10k on it. I drove it but no mechanic. It seems to drive nicely but a few odd noises. I’m willing to spend another 5-10k on it to get it going.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
If there is nothing hugely wrong with it, I doubt you'll need 5 to 10k to get it running decently.
Oil leak could be anything, from a $5 seal to looking at a new oil pan. But even that should be less than $400.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad for $10k. Like others have said... The cel and the oil leak should be straight forward fixes.

Beyond that, get the tune situation figured out and get a full inspection to see if anything needs attention. Do all the usual used car things- fluids, brakes, tires and just drive it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
definitely get an access port or SCT4 or something and a tune from a good tuner - see some advice here in the "archives" ... once you know WHAT turbo is on the car, what intake and cold side and hot side pipes are on it - you may have gotten lucky! with saving some $$$ with the mods already on there. Like really lucky... if a Garret turbo you'll find an external blow off valve (BOV) - usually on the cold side pipe going into the throttle body. if EFR turbo kit, it will have the BOV on the turbo most likely (accessed thru the pass side wheel well)... which should narrow the options down some. The oil leak lends me to thing EFR turbo kit, maybe a mountune or Full Race set up... again you may have stepped into some good luck there...

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Hmm modded turbo, intercooler & exhaust? Depending quality of mods this could easily be $2k in mods alone. At 42k miles that is fairly low too. Idk $10k does not sound bad at all for a handful of small issues. You just need to become more confident with addressing problems, then you will see these are relatively small things.

The Ford Focus is surprisingly user-friendly & durable. I am sure things will work out.

If you had more serious problems, you would probably know by now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey guys I bought a really screwed up focus st for an “ok” price. I likely overpaid because the car is essentially worthless as it stands. It’s totally modified, has an oil leak, aftermarket turbo, makes weird noises when initially shifting and accelerating, almost like a creaking noise in the frame but I doubt it’s that. No accidents on carfax. Other than that it’s NOT TOO BAD.. a ford dealer is looking at it and told me about -no cat (causing CEL), -oil leak... I’m waiting to hear back about “the rest”

Now I’m prepared to put some money in this thing to make it workable. It’s a 2014 with 42k miles. Now my only question is do you think it will be worth it to put money into it, or do you think it’s so beat up that wouldn’t be worth it. I’m bringing it to a reputable performance shop next week for a quote on rebuilding it.

Is it worth it? You really have no choice now since you already purchased the car. I’ve said it before, but I’d never buy an ST or RS that has had any mods whatsoever. Both cars are fast enough out of the box & very reliable if you just leave them alone.

The Ford Dealer is going to cost you more than the cars worth with by the time they diagnose all of its issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Don't be so pessimistic. Some people especially look for modded cars. And no, they aren't fast enough out of the box. Nearly no car is :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well maybe my point came across the wrong way or a bit harsh, however mods reduce reliability & that is why they eliminate 99% of buyers & also why major dealerships will not sell any modded cars on their lots. They can not guarantee them nor do they want the headache of putting their reputations on the line.

So asking these questions now, after the purchase, is an example of what not to do. Know what you’re getting yourself into & if the car is or was for sale at a non-major Dealer, then make sure you study that carfax report because they can be very informative timelines on the history of a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The carfax was completely clean aside from a repossession. I am taking it to a performance shop after the dealer looks at the oil leak, and I will go from there. I will keep this thread updated as soon as I hear some of the issues today from the dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update from dealer. the oil leak is coming from around the oil pan. Supposedly the oil pan is held up by some type of putty? they don’t want to say they can fix it because they don’t know what they will find after taking the oil pan off.
Other than that they didn’t have much for me other than obviously bringing the car back to stock. I will be bringing the car to a performance shop on Wednesday and hoping for an honest quote to bring the car to good condition.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Update from dealer. the oil leak is coming from around the oil pan. Supposedly the oil pan is held up by some type of putty? they don’t want to say they can fix it because they don’t know what they will find after taking the oil pan off.
Other than that they didn’t have much for me other than obviously bringing the car back to stock. I will be bringing the car to a performance shop on Wednesday and hoping for an honest quote to bring the car to good condition.
yeah get the car away from the dealer.... the dealer doesn't want to do anything with a modded car... but put it back to factory form so their "Ford techs" know how to read out of a book to fix it, aftermarket parts aren't in their books so they freeze up and don't know how to fix basic problems on a car.

" some type of putty" YUP! these oil pans are NOT gasket sealed, they are sealed via RTV, along with the rest of the motor. but the Ford tech looking at it likely doesn't know that because he just replaces the whole motor and hasn't a clue how to work on them.

"coming from the oil pan" well that narrows it down to half the engine :rolleyes:

I am willing to bet the oil pan leaks because the former owner did a balance shaft delete and didn't take his/her time cleaning the mating surfaces when sealing up the pan again. Super easy fix, drain oil, drop oil pan, clean surfaces, RTV seal, bolt back up oil pan, let cure before adding oil or starting car.

sounds like you got a good deal on a modded car with a bunch of free parts on it. stick with it and it could be a great car for only a little more money

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love your guys positivity. I am really excited to take it to a shop where they know what they’re doing. Another thing she mentioned was “aftermarket pulleys” but at this point now that someone explained the putty I realize I can just stop listening to them.

Anyways, I’ll be getting my car back, will post some pics of engine bay and anything else I can “see”. Without going under the car am I able to post pics of the turbo etc?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
About this Discussion
106 Replies
24 Participants
GotAFoSTnSpeed6
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing