Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...

I owned a 2016 ST1 for about a year and traded it in on a new 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback with the CVT transmission so the wife could drive it if need be. Bad mistake. :)

Wanted to trade for a new daily driver to accompany my 16k mile '02 Corvette Convertible and my highly modified '04 Corvette Z06 that has dyno'ed at 555 HP and 520 TQ.

I drove a new '17 Focus RS and a new '17 Focus ST back to back, and while I really love the RS, I just could not justify the price differential of nearly $15,000. One can do a lot with the extra $15k (including updating the master bath, according to my wife). :(

I paid $23,000 for my Magnetic Metallic ST2 that had an MSRP of $29,330, and a comparable RS with the sunroof, etc. would cost about $38,000 given the discounts available here in Nashville.

In my opinion, the ST is nearly 90% of the car the RS is, and seems more fun to drive at least for a daily driver. On a track, I'm sure the RS would kill it.

Glad to be back in the Focus ST fold, and am really loving the ST I bought yesterday.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A little background...

I owned a 2016 ST1 for about a year and traded it in on a new 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback with the CVT transmission so the wife could drive it if need be. Bad mistake. :)

Wanted to trade for a new daily driver to accompany my 16k mile '02 Corvette Convertible and my highly modified '04 Corvette Z06 that has dyno'ed at 555 HP and 520 TQ.

I drove a new '17 Focus RS and a new '17 Focus ST back to back, and while I really love the RS, I just could not justify the price differential of nearly $15,000. One can do a lot with the extra $15k (including updating the master bath, according to my wife). :(

I paid $23,000 for my Magnetic Metallic ST2 that had an MSRP of $29,330, and a comparable RS with the sunroof, etc. would cost about $38,000 given the discounts available here in Nashville.

In my opinion, the ST is nearly 90% of the car the RS is, and seems more fun to drive at least for a daily driver. On a track, I'm sure the RS would kill it.

Glad to be back in the Focus ST fold, and am really loving the ST I bought yesterday.
Welcome back! I think many people here will agree with most/all of your points.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a similar story. I have had my ST3 since 13 and have loved every minute. A deal came up for an RS and I took the plunge but I couldn't bring myself to let go of the ST.

In the end, the RS just didn't do it for me considering how much more expensive it was to my beloved ST. I ended up trading in the RS on a used Durango Limited and am back in my ST and really have no regrets.

I earnestly feel the ST is a better DD as my kidneys are still getting settled after 3k miles in the RS.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Same story here. I had a 2014 ST that gave 60,000 trouble free miles. Thought seriously about a 17 nitrous blue RS. Stood in the showroom lusting after it but instead decided to dance with who brung me. Left with a new ST and enough money in the bank to do a lot of different things.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
First off, post some photos of your new ST

Secondly, did you ever end up selling that set of Enkei wheels you had with your first ST?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, post some photos of your new ST

Secondly, did you ever end up selling that set of Enkei wheels you had with your first ST?
I sold the Enkei wheels a few months ago. Now that I bought a new ST, I wish I had kept them.

Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome back, like everyone else here I agree with your summary of the situation. A new master bath is much better than a little extra grip for most of us!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had two reasons, although updating the master bath is a pretty good idea. I also couldn't justify the cost, and the wife consistently gets car sick in all wheel drive cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts