Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Any owners want to chime in. I’m looking for a loud exhaust, is this the one for me?
I wouldn't want my car loud all the time. I'm happy with the cat back I have now okay. I plan on adding an e-cutout directly after the downpipe.
But I don't have a borla catback so I can't comment on how loud it is. I've heard the awe track edition is pretty loud. There was just a 20% off sale I don't know if it's still going on or not.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I wouldn't want my car loud all the time. I'm happy with the cat back I have now okay. I plan on adding an e-cutout directly after the downpipe.
But I don't have a borla catback so I can't comment on how loud it is. I've heard the awe track edition is pretty loud. There was just a 20% off sale I don't know if it's still going on or not.
Sorry voice to text just adds words in there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Borla is throaty and deeper sounding, I have the FRPP exhaust (which is Borla with an extra resonator) and I enjoy it. Its quiet enough when you arent hitting throttle, and loud when you get on it.

Its definitely not as loud as some exhausts like AWE.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am seriously interested in buying a Borla exhaust but am only concerned about the 2.5 inch diameter, is 2.5 good enough when goal is 300-350 hp ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I purchased and installed a Borla system recently, and it's literally perfect for this car. Not too loud. not too quiet. I had initially planned to purchase a used cat back exhaust from another member, but everything I looked at looked like hell, and many of them were only a few years old. That convinced me that a 304 stainless system is the way to go. Most other brands use 409 stainless that corrodes a lot more.

By the way- there's a used Borla / Ford Performance exhaust on eBay. It's been on for a long time, so it may be worth making an offer, especially if the seller is nearby, and you can puck it up:

·
Registered
311 Posts
@Mzdrati that exhaust is smashed to hell from an accident. I looked at it a while back.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah- I didn't look at it closely. Maybe it'd be worth $100, so someone would perhaps be willing to spend a few bucks straightening out the dents in the muffler.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ah- I didn't look at it closely. Maybe it'd be worth $100, so someone would perhaps be willing to spend a few bucks straightening out the dents in the muffler.
The over axle pipe is bent along with the pipes exiting the muffler as well as the tips. Its pretty bad. I'd imagine the muffler is bent internally as well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any owners want to chime in. I’m looking for a loud exhaust, is this the one for me?
If you want LOUD, this is not your exhaust.

If you want something that is reasonable and doesn't draw tickets, allows conversations in the cabin at highway speed, and has no drone, then yes. It meets very stringent noise levels (e.g. <90 db measured @ 50 ft from centerline of direction of travel) at WOT, yet is substantially louder than the stock exhaust. Like all after market exhausts, you'll want to disable the sound symposer or it will be absurdly noisy in the cabin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
AWE track edition is the best sounding and is loud.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree with Gemery. If your goal is loud- buy something else. Since in this case louder is better, you could probably use the stock exhaust, and remove the front resonator, and rear muffler and replace them with straight-pipe and tips respectively. Not sure how that would sound, but I think it would be loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a AWE track with a down pipe and it’s loud!! You can hear me coming and it’s a very distinct sounding exhaust. I personally don’t care about drone and all that other stuff because if your going to have a performance car with aftermarket exhaust and other mods isn’t the point to turn the radio off and hear her talk to you??? Just saying!! Check out YouTube for AWE Track you will love it

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am seriously interested in buying a Borla exhaust but am only concerned about the 2.5 inch diameter, is 2.5 good enough when goal is 300-350 hp ?
2.5 inch is plenty for 300-350hp
However if you want loud get the roush 3”exhaust I have it and I like the tone but it is obnoxious. If I wasn’t building an actual race car in my shop I’d change out my exhaust but it’s not really that big of a priority right now. And then do a catless downpipe then you’ll be extremely loud and obnoxious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Gemery. If your goal is loud- buy something else. Since in this case louder is better, you could probably use the stock exhaust, and remove the front resonator, and rear muffler and replace them with straight-pipe and tips respectively. Not sure how that would sound, but I think it would be loud.
That’s what I have now and it’s very loud but a lot of drone in cabin also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want LOUD, this is not your exhaust.

If you want something that is reasonable and doesn't draw tickets, allows conversations in the cabin at highway speed, and has no drone, then yes. It meets very stringent noise levels (e.g. <90 db measured @ 50 ft from centerline of direction of travel) at WOT, yet is substantially louder than the stock exhaust. Like all after market exhausts, you'll want to disable the sound symposer or it will be absurdly noisy in the cabin.
I just love the sound of the borla, does it scream when you step on it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn’t say scream. At least in stock downpipe. More like a nice growl. It’s a good mild exhaust. Too loud for me (in CA) with depo catted pipe, so had to add a massive resonator. The tone is good but not the best, but the noise level is much better. Still sounds insane when you run the crackle tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn’t say scream. At least in stock downpipe. More like a nice growl. It’s a good mild exhaust. Too loud for me (in CA) with depo catted pipe, so had to add a massive resonator. The tone is good but not the best, but the noise level is much better. Still sounds insane when you run the crackle tune.
You know of an exhaust kinda like a median between the Borla and the AWE

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not really. Honestly they all sound the same to me. If I was buying new I'd get one of the flowmasters for the warmer, wet sounding tone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts