Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST, big turbo, built motor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I only have the WG solenoid hooked up to the wastegate, the compressor side of turbo, and vent to the intake.
It has a brand new WG solenoid, and new lines for the WG solenoid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I doubt there is a controls issue, I had a friend with this issue and he hunted everything for awhile. He finally just went through and reseated all of his charge pipes and it took care of the problem. If one pipe came off another one could have came loose. Cause and effect here is the way I would look at it rather than jumping into other areas.
Pressure tested the system to 45lbs of air from a compressor. No leaks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
The PCM isn't calling for 29 PSI.
Check to see what your Barometric pressure is on the AP and use it to determine what the PCM is commanding.

When you say to boost leak tested the system what PSI did you check it to? You want to shoot for above your target boost pressure.

Your old logs were hitting 29.46 PSI @ 15.34% WGDC so I know it was working.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Check to see what your Barometric pressure is on the AP and use it to determine what the PCM is commanding.

When you say to boost leak tested the system what PSI did you check it to? You want to shoot for above your target boost pressure.

Boost leak was done to 45psi, from a air compressor.
Ill check the barometric pressure now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
Pressure tested the system to 45lbs of air from a compressor. No leaks
But the PCM is only calling for 38.94 PSI (24.4 PSI).

Have you reset the KAM?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Pressure 14.39

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
could it just be tune related at this point? JST will get back to me tomorrow with something.

The other possibility could be deep in the electronics something is wrong.

Or the brand new controller I bought is bad?

All things that could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
The PCM isn't calling for 29 PSI. Was it an overboost condition that blew the charge pipe off? Have you checked WG function?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The PCM isn't calling for 29 PSI. Was it an overboost condition that blew the charge pipe off? Have you checked WG function?
It may have been, WG does function, have pulled it off the car multiple times since this started. It could just be a hole was in the WG lines causing the "overboost". But if it were overboosting why would JST say the logs looked good? Im not sure.

Charge pipe blew off, did not make any boost pressure. Put the pipe back on, made the 16psi of boost. Then replaced the WG lines, then the solenoid, then pressure tested the system.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
It may have been, WG does function, have pulled it off the car multiple times since this started. It could just be a hole was in the WG lines causing the "overboost". But if it were overboosting why would JST say the logs looked good? Im not sure.

Charge pipe blew off, did not make any boost pressure. Put the pipe back on, made the 16psi of boost. Then replaced the WG lines, then the solenoid, then pressure tested the system.
by good did you mean the negative corrections on 1 (-2.94) & 4 (-2.49)?

• Haha
Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I will just wait to see what he has to say about what is going on. could just have been a tiny leak in one of the WG lines causing it to overboost to 29psi. but that would not explain after fixing the charge pipe leak on the cold side the boost pressure to still be low even before changing out the WG lines. I am just lost at this point, and apricate the help. Ill keep everyone updated with what comes of this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think its all tune related at this point. Put my stratified tune on from previous turbo, car made 20psi. when on the internal gate it made 17 or so. (on pump gas).

Hopefully will hear back from JST tomorrow, and they will say the same thing. If it is tune related one of the lines may have been leaking or just a combination of all reasons listed above.

Like said before I will keep updated with the things going on with the car.

Very special thank you to SSgtjrobertson

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update, tuner increased the WGDC and now it is making more boost. The only thing that could cause this was a combination of the factors listed before.

When all the issues were fixed, the tune was only for a certain amount of WGDC, and with no leaks in any of the lines, it was making the actual amount of boost the tune was requesting. Thus making less boost than before, and giving me the sensation something was broken when in reality it was not.

I appreciate the help, and input from everyone, I will call this issue solved unless something else comes up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
So you were making 29 PSI with only 13% WGDC on the original logs. Now you're only makes 11 PSI (PCM commanding 25) at a 65% duty cycle and the tuner is adding more?

Something is definitely not adding up here.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,031 Posts
So you were making 29 PSI with only 13% WGDC on the original logs. Now you're only makes 11 PSI (PCM commanding 25) at a 65% duty cycle and the tuner is adding more?

^^^^ What he said. No way was that thing making 29 psi at 13% WGDC unless something was hooked up incorrectly/you had a part failure causing an overboost problem. On my 2867, when Brian had it set to 15% or so WGDC, it wasn't making much boost at all (like 16 psi maybe?), but I also had everything hooked up correctly and didn't have any parts failures. At 75% it was hitting around 28.5 psi before the tires broke loose in 3rd, so I could see 29 psi at 75% WGDC... but 13%... no way... something is screwy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,409 Posts
It hit 29 PSI and the TIP Desired was around 43 so it was dead on target.

The second was only commanding TIP Desired around 25 and it was hitting 11 which is correct.

Hope you get it all straightened out. Don't forget to keep an eye on those negative corrections.

J

Reactions: Gray_ST

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

So the only thing that I can say is that one of the wastegate lines had a hole, or the controller was bad. So that the boost level was way over the wgdc. When I took the line off the wastegate. Just letting it do what it wants to do it made 29. So something was broken with the boost lines or the controller.
Thus making 29lbs at 14% duty cycle.

So yes something was screwy. With the previous controller and wastegate lines. But I will say they were always hooked up correctly.
The system seems to be making proper boost for the WGDC.

I am sure I am not explaining everything properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It hit 29 PSI and the TIP Desired was around 43 so it was dead on target.

The second was only commanding TIP Desired around 25 and it was hitting 11 which is correct.

Hope you get it all straightened out. Don't forget to keep an eye on those negative corrections.

J
Thanks again for the help.

I hope the car is all good, and keep this thread updated with the updates of my tune.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts