Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 13 fost, full bolt on , solid motor mounts & stratified crackle tune, stock bov. let’s start off with my car has a slight exhaust leak this might be major but I’m trying to make sure, I usually hit peak boost at around 22-23psi in 3rd & up, now recently I noticed I’m peaking right around 18psi & I feel a little lack in power.. I did a compression test & it’s 162 in all cylinders.. my plugs are gapped to 0.025 (recommended by stratified) so i have no idea what’s going on , any ideas ? Opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey I have a 13 fost, full bolt on , solid motor mounts & stratified crackle tune, stock bov. let’s start off with my car has a slight exhaust leak this might be major but I’m trying to make sure, I usually hit peak boost at around 22-23psi in 3rd & up, now recently I noticed I’m peaking right around 18psi & I feel a little lack in power.. I did a compression test & it’s 162 in all cylinders.. my plugs are gapped to 0.025 (recommended by stratified) so i have no idea what’s going on , any ideas ? Opinions? Thanks.
Sorry forgot to mention the leak is not right at the turbo , it’s right at the back side of the downpipe.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts

“ We, at Stratified, choose load based tunes based on their reliability, driveability and the consistent torque delivery which is virtually independent of ambient conditions in the majority of cases. However, some cars and setups are better suited for boost-targeting tunes than others and if we know the user’s goals from the get-go we can choose a strategy that suits them best.”

Not sure where you’re located but are you driving in colder temperatures?
If so, maybe reach out to Stratified to see if your tune is boost based?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

“ We, at Stratified, choose load based tunes based on their reliability, driveability and the consistent torque delivery which is virtually independent of ambient conditions in the majority of cases. However, some cars and setups are better suited for boost-targeting tunes than others and if we know the user’s goals from the get-go we can choose a strategy that suits them best.”

Not sure where you’re located but are you driving in colder temperatures?
If so, maybe reach out to Stratified to see if your tune is boost based?
It’s about 40° out , but even on the stratified tune I hit those 23psi numbers but when I did my exhaust I guess I’m just now realizing I’m peaking at 18psi .. I was thinking it’s the exhaust but I wanted to hear other suggestions, my intake piping is secure & my intercooler piping I haven’t checked but I wouldn’t be hitting 18psi if I had a ic leak or intake leak would I lol? That’s why I was looking at the exhaust being the issue but I wanted to be 100%

·
Administrator
12,663 Posts
It’s about 40° out , but even on the stratified tune I hit those 23psi numbers but when I did my exhaust I guess I’m just now realizing I’m peaking at 18psi .. I was thinking it’s the exhaust but I wanted to hear other suggestions, my intake piping is secure & my intercooler piping I haven’t checked but I wouldn’t be hitting 18psi if I had a ic leak or intake leak would I lol? That’s why I was looking at the exhaust being the issue but I wanted to be 100%

Theres a specific test for boost leaks. It's a BOOST LEAK TEST at 26 psi.

Not yelling at you, but we get this alllllllll the time, and like nobody ever wants to do the PROPER and SPECIFIC troubleshooting test that literally finds any leak in the charge piping, intake manifold, fmic, wastegate actuator, bpv/bov, throttle body, all VAC LINES that see boost, and sound symposer at the SAME TIME. It eliminates all doubt. All of it. No questions. Just results.

People love coming back with the "Well I tightened all the clamps real good" Lmfao! It's a 25 plus PSI system, that's a lot of pressure that's going to exploit anything it can.

@20focusSTdriver17 , you know what to link, lol

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Theres a specific test for boost leaks. It's a BOOST LEAK TEST at 26 psi.

Not yelling at you, but we get this alllllllll the time, and like nobody ever wants to do the PROPER and SPECIFIC troubleshooting test that literally finds any leak in the charge piping, intake manifold, fmic, wastegate actuator, bpv/bov, throttle body, all VAC LINES that see boost, and sound symposer at the SAME TIME. It eliminates all doubt. All of it. No questions. Just results.

People love coming back with the "Well I tightened all the clamps real good" Lmfao! It's a 25 plus PSI system, that's a lot of pressure that's going to exploit anything it can.

@20focusSTdriver17 , you know what to link, lol

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
761 Posts
You could try the Scotty Kilmer method, pull of a hose and blow down it with a mouth full of cigar smoke. 😁

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts
Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts

·
Administrator
12,663 Posts

·
Administrator
12,663 Posts
I built a beast tester for my GTX. In retrospect, i wish I bought a premade one. Just easier and complete.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Pokey???

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,586 Posts
After searching for current prices, i sold a pancake compressor on craigslist for 20 dollars. They seem to be going in that range, its worth a look.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
231 Posts

·
Administrator
12,663 Posts
The "why" is in fact already answered in what you quoted....

Because I don't mind drilling a few holes on pvc endcap and create my own boost leak tester?
Lol, don't mind him. If you keep telling people how to make their own, then I wont be mentioning him to post the amazon link. Which would remove the single most satisfying part of his life. Then he'd be a saaaaaaaaaadd panda.

Watch, that fox probably has it as an affiliate link, lol!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts