Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So I have searched and searched for someone who has had this issue that I am having but no luck. I have found people who had some symptoms that were the same but I am still having problems. A little back ground on my car and myself. My car has been tuned by Cobb accessport. I have a downpipe, FMIC, K&N air filter, after market BPV (no name), Cobb turbo back exhaust. I work as a mechanic full time and have access to tools and diagnostic equipment that your average person doesn't have.

Now to the problem. I have a 2013 ford focus ST 3.5. Right now, I am unable to build more than 6psi and my BPV doesn't work. The only time that the BPV mode will activate is when I have completely let off the throttle and I'm pulling 11.5 to 12 IN/HG of vaccum. When it is activated, I am unable to hear any kind of noise coming from my BPV. So I can say that it isn't working. I have switched to stock BPV but it didn't change anything. I also removed the tune but it is still doing the samething. I have smoked tested my car with no show of leaks. The vaccum lines going to my BPV are good. I have replaced the boost controller solenoids on the top on my valve cover and by my turbo. When I go to drive my car, I have to be very easy with her. If I got to do a normal shift or take off normal (where I build about 5 psi at 1/4th throttle taking off or shifting) then she will backfire and loose power even though boost builds stupid quick. Now, if I ease into the boost then I can build up to 6 psi and if feels like it is restricted power wise. I have several data logs when I did these tests but I can't get that to work right. Plus I haven't had time to try to make them work. This all happened after I installed my FMIC. After I first installed my FMIC, I did leave the Charge Air Temp sensor plugged in but not installed into the intake system. I'm going to make a custom fitting for it tonight. Everything was working great until I installed my FMIC. There is not any leaks in my intake system but I'm going to double check just to make sure. I am thinking my wastegate might have taken a poop on me but idk how that would happen after installing my FMIC. I have seen stranger things tho so it wouldn't surprise me.

This issue is something that I am stumped on. I am turning to this community because y'all have helped me out since I got this car. I am needing anither opinion because I have worked on this issue too long and need more ideas of what it could be. I don't mind to make this a learning experience for those who might have had the same issue.

Thank you for taking the time to read my novel lol.

P.S. - I have the logs on my computer at my house and would be more than happy to share them with someone who knows what they are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
7,562 Posts
Hello all. So I have searched and searched for someone who has had this issue that I am having but no luck. I have found people who had some symptoms that were the same but I am still having problems. A little back ground on my car and myself. My car has been tuned by Cobb accessport. I have a downpipe, FMIC, K&N air filter, after market BPV (no name), Cobb turbo back exhaust. I work as a mechanic full time and have access to tools and diagnostic equipment that your average person doesn't have.

Now to the problem. I have a 2013 ford focus ST 3.5. Right now, I am unable to build more than 6psi and my BPV doesn't work. The only time that the BPV mode will activate is when I have completely let off the throttle and I'm pulling 11.5 to 12 IN/HG of vaccum. When it is activated, I am unable to hear any kind of noise coming from my BPV. So I can say that it isn't working. I have switched to stock BPV but it didn't change anything. I also removed the tune but it is still doing the samething. I have smoked tested my car with no show of leaks. The vaccum lines going to my BPV are good. I have replaced the boost controller solenoids on the top on my valve cover and by my turbo. When I go to drive my car, I have to be very easy with her. If I got to do a normal shift or take off normal (where I build about 5 psi at 1/4th throttle taking off or shifting) then she will backfire and loose power even though boost builds stupid quick. Now, if I ease into the boost then I can build up to 6 psi and if feels like it is restricted power wise. I have several data logs when I did these tests but I can't get that to work right. Plus I haven't had time to try to make them work. This all happened after I installed my FMIC. After I first installed my FMIC, I did leave the Charge Air Temp sensor plugged in but not installed into the intake system. I'm going to make a custom fitting for it tonight. Everything was working great until I installed my FMIC. There is not any leaks in my intake system but I'm going to double check just to make sure. I am thinking my wastegate might have taken a poop on me but idk how that would happen after installing my FMIC. I have seen stranger things tho so it wouldn't surprise me.

This issue is something that I am stumped on. I am turning to this community because y'all have helped me out since I got this car. I am needing anither opinion because I have worked on this issue too long and need more ideas of what it could be. I don't mind to make this a learning experience for those who might have had the same issue.

Thank you for taking the time to read my novel lol.

P.S. - I have the logs on my computer at my house and would be more than happy to share them with someone who knows what they are looking for.
Charge air temp sensor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charge air temp sensor?
You are correct! I just got done making a custom mount for the sensor. Once I got it into the intake system, everything works like normal. I am currently taking the eco tune off and going to a stage 2 93 octane tune to test everything. I will update once I get done with my testing. I am so happy it was just that sensor. Thank you for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
7,562 Posts
You are correct! I just got done making a custom mount for the sensor. Once I got it into the intake system, everything works like normal. I am currently taking the eco tune off and going to a stage 2 93 octane tune to test everything. I will update once I get done with my testing. I am so happy it was just that sensor. Thank you for the reply!
Which sensor are you talking about? Theres no charge air temp sensor specifically. Theres MAP sensors with additional function, and regular air temp.

Are you talking about the sensor on the cold side of the fmic?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.
Which sensor are you talking about? Theres no charge air temp sensor specifically. Theres MAP sensors with additional function, and regular air temp.

Are you talking about the sensor on the cold side of the fmic?
Yes, that is the sensor I am talking about. The only reason I said charge air temp sensor is because when I left it out of the intake system the charge air temp on my accessport showed ambient air temp. That's the only reason I thought that is what it was. Which i kinda thought it was weird that an air temp sensor has 5 wires going to to. So now I know that sensor does more than just air temp lol. Everything is back to normal on my car now. You live and you learn I guess 😂.

·
Super Moderator
7,562 Posts
Yes.

Yes, that is the sensor I am talking about. The only reason I said charge air temp sensor is because when I left it out of the intake system the charge air temp on my accessport showed ambient air temp. That's the only reason I thought that is what it was. Which i kinda thought it was weird that an air temp sensor has 5 wires going to to. So now I know that sensor does more than just air temp lol. Everything is back to normal on my car now. You live and you learn I guess 😂.
Yeah thats a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor in its most important function.

What did you plug the hole in the fmic with? That would have been a boost leak, and a good sized one, lol

Well, now you can scour these forums with diligent searching, to better prepare yourself before you install parts, and to help prevent these situations, lmao

·
Registered
411 Posts
With the MAP sensor swinging in the atmosphere, you have no boost reference. You're building boost but your PCM Is not adjusting fuel and timing control for it because it does not see it. It also doesnt actuate the BPV since it sees no boost that it would need to relieve. Glad you didnt drive it around any longer like that.

Im assuming you built your own FMIC kit, hence not having a place to put the sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts