Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Video is of a third gear pull on my 13 Focus ST. Boosts to 20psi then drops to 14psi, climbs back to 20 and drops to 14psi. Always repeats this cycle when I hit 20psi. I was told I need to upgrade my wastegate actuator, but I already have an upgraded one that came with the ATP turbo kit. I am thinking I should try to adjust the preload on the wastegate, but cant seem to get to it. Not as easily accessed as the stock one. From what I can see I may have to pull my turbo. Before I go any further, I wanted to get some input from you guys. Wastegate issue or boost controller issue?[video]https://www.facebook.com/Jason.deMik/videos/10210997306469237/[/video]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your facebook video isn't set to public or whatever so I can't see it.

But either way, a video isn't going to help... please datalog the issue (full gear pull if able) and post that up.

Who is your tuner, did you bring this up with them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tuner is just a local shop called Simple Performance, he mentioned my wastegate was maxed out. I believe that ATP sets their wastegates at 1 bar. I know the tuner never physically touched my wastegate while tuning, he just said it was maxed out. I have my bumper pulled off in my driveway, have the top part and wipers pulled, and intake pulled. I cannot see how to check adjustment on wastegate without pulling the turbo. At this point I could disconnect all the feed and return lines to the turbo and unbolt my downpipe, which will be a pita to do in my driveway. Other than that, I believe it is just 4 bolts holding that thing on there. I was hoping the wastegate would be accessible at this point :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
My tuner is just a local shop called Simple Performance, he mentioned my wastegate was maxed out. I believe that ATP sets their wastegates at 1 bar. I know the tuner never physically touched my wastegate while tuning, he just said it was maxed out. I have my bumper pulled off in my driveway, have the top part and wipers pulled, and intake pulled. I cannot see how to check adjustment on wastegate without pulling the turbo. At this point I could disconnect all the feed and return lines to the turbo and unbolt my downpipe, which will be a pita to do in my driveway. Other than that, I believe it is just 4 bolts holding that thing on there. I was hoping the wastegate would be accessible at this point :(
Welcome to the forums Rabbit.

As Aaron mentioned please post a datalog of this event occurring, this will enable the bright minds that lurk these forums to see what is going on. I know ATP offered more than one spring for the wastegate and I have seen as low as 9psi on gate pressure. Did you check what pressure the wastegate cracked open at?

I don't see why you would need an upgraded actuator when lots of people on here (including myself) run the stock ATP IWG actuator on the GTX2867r. At most you may need to swap the spring if you can get access into the actuator.

·
Registered
613 Posts
To me this 20 psi, drop down to 14, and then back up and down doesn't really sound like a wastegate preload/stiffness issue. Some other tuning or possibly hardware issue I think. Odds are the wastegate is fine if untouched from ATP.

Do you have a cobb accessport or is the tuner using some other software?

I would try to get a datalog and post here before you start fiddling with the wastegate. That said, you can get to it with it on the car. I did it, it was a royal pain in the butt, but it's possible. Removed the engine bay shroud, intake, maybe more stuff I can't remember exactly. I think getting the little circlip on and off was the worst part for me (I didn't have a spare). I unhooked it and used an air compressor to verify movement and when it was starting to open. I think all said and done I ended up back at the same place....tons of work to verify that it was not the issue.

IF you have the cobb accessport and need help setting up how to datalog, let us know.

edit: for a quick and easy wastegate test with it still on the car.... have the tuner set the WGDC table to 0s and do a pull. It's going to vary a little depending on weather conditions/alt/intake/exhaust setup etc...but will quickly tell you if something is way off or amiss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi bman, I will try to get a datalog soon. My car is in the shop now for a timing cover service, leaking oil out pretty bad. When I get it back, I will do some logs....next couple days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi aaronc,

I believe the wastegate has been untouched, I bought the car with this kit already installed. I have the COBB accessport. As soon as I get my car back I will respond with some data logs. I tried to access that damn wastegate from above and below, and the damn manifold that the turbo is connected to is in the way from above. Cant even see it from below...(on my back in the driveway on ramps) I think I have to unfasten the DP and take the turbo out to adjust. My cowl is currently out and intake was out before I installed it back in to get the car to the shop for timing cover service. I ran out of time to mess with it, with work and all. I will be in touch with some logs soon. I did fix one of my issues, there was a yellow TIAL spring installed in my external BOV, replaced it with the unpainted one and now I am not experiencing compressor surge. I need to find a good tuner, I tuned with a local company by me but they have been hard to get a hold of lately.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
You won't see the wastegate preload with the bumper off. You need to get under the car. Reach up behind the motor to the turbo.
Remove the bolts holding the heat shield on. You won't be able to really see it but you can feel where the jam nuts are sitting.

I've seen a few posts about ATP not setting the pre-load correctly. If you see that you maxed out to one side or another on the threaded portion of the wastegate chances are that is your issue there.

I don't know where you'll want to be on that setup (in relation to the threads and jam nuts) The factory can be maxed out and run safely.

Good luck and get those damn data logs before someone has a coronary in here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update for this post.....I should have tried this before. As a reminder, GTX2867r kit is on the car and I was not able to hold boost on my tune. I updated my Accessport yesterday and noticed new updated maps were installed. I installed the stage 3 91 octane tune and have been running that as of yesterday. No more boost issues, I think my wastegate is fine. I can see up to 22psi now and can hold above 19psi, where before with my old tune would just reach 19psi then drop to 14psi, and repeated this cycle. Anyway, car seems to be holding boost well now. I just need to find a good tuner that knows how to tune these cars.

I did recently have another issue come up though that is making me nervous. I had the timing cover service done at a local shop, not the dealership. Now something seems off. I get a pretty good POP/backfire when letting off the throttle coming out of first gear where I did not have that before the timing cover service. Also, feels like misfire while cruising at 1500rpm (in a parking lot or taking off at a red light...sputters and lag of power, also new symptom. No CEL. I mentioned this to the shop and they said timing was good. They recommended i replace my plugs. I only had 10,000 miles on them but I replaced them anyway. Gaped at .026. Lags on every takeoff unless I blip the throttle/keep the rpm's higher. Should I start a different thread for this topic? Is there a way to see if my timing is slightly off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw those posts as well. With the ATP kit I could not even see a heat shield to uninstall. But there is a shield on the wastegate that prevents me to getting at it up top. I couldnt get good access to it from the bottom either. PITA. Seams like it would be easier to just unbolt the turbo if it comes down to it. I did make an update to the issue, and will wait till I find a good tuner and see if they think I need to adjust it before I go at it. I believe the issue was due to the local company that tuned mine did not quite know this engine. They are subaru tuners ha ha.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Update for this post.....I should have tried this before. As a reminder, GTX2867r kit is on the car and I was not able to hold boost on my tune. I updated my Accessport yesterday and noticed new updated maps were installed. I installed the stage 3 91 octane tune and have been running that as of yesterday. No more boost issues, I think my wastegate is fine. I can see up to 22psi now and can hold above 19psi, where before with my old tune would just reach 19psi then drop to 14psi, and repeated this cycle. Anyway, car seems to be holding boost well now. I just need to find a good tuner that knows how to tune these cars.

I did recently have another issue come up though that is making me nervous. I had the timing cover service done at a local shop, not the dealership. Now something seems off. I get a pretty good POP/backfire when letting off the throttle coming out of first gear where I did not have that before the timing cover service. Also, feels like misfire while cruising at 1500rpm (in a parking lot or taking off at a red light...sputters and lag of power, also new symptom. No CEL. I mentioned this to the shop and they said timing was good. They recommended i replace my plugs. I only had 10,000 miles on them but I replaced them anyway. Gaped at .026. Lags on every takeoff unless I blip the throttle/keep the rpm's higher. Should I start a different thread for this topic? Is there a way to see if my timing is slightly off?
WTF are you doing? are you telling me you don't have a proper tune for the GTX2867r? if so your boost fluctuations are probably caused by throttle body closures trying to limit your lbs/min flow.

DO NOT USE COBB OTS TUNES ON A GTX TURBO.

I have a funny feeling we are about to see a post in the blown motor thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All right, new engine!!! Just playing. I did uninstall the tune after reading on the cobb website to NOT run their tune with big turbo. BUT YES! I have a ****ty tune and need a new one. I had Simple Performance in SLC tune my car. They were aware of all the modifications.

Do you have any input on the other issue?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
WTF are you doing? are you telling me you don't have a proper tune for the GTX2867r? if so your boost fluctuations are probably caused by throttle body closures trying to limit your lbs/min flow.

DO NOT USE COBB OTS TUNES ON A GTX TURBO.

I have a funny feeling we are about to see a post in the blown motor thread.
I agree with some of his statement, DO NOT use cobb's OTS tunes for an GTX turbo, it can be bad news.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts