Ford Focus ST Forum banner
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,181 Posts
i thought there would be quicker ramp up and hold a little more up top on e30, but they virtually mirror each other
Boost was unchanged between the 93 and e30 map with the 2860. Just timing
Also, he allowed it to naturally drop a little bit. My WGDC is fairly low, he could pound high boost all the way to 7k. But Alans tuning style is less boost/more timing which is what I like. @rob99rt Is currently having a gtx tuned through JST and he runs a lot higher boost, with the tradeoff being lower timing. There are pros and cons to both tuning styles.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
783 Posts
Also, he allowed it to naturally drop a little bit. My WGDC is fairly low, he could pound high boost all the way to 7k. But Alans tuning style is less boost/more timing which is what I like. @rob99rt Is currently having a gtx tuned through JST and he runs a lot higher boost, with the tradeoff being lower timing. There are pros and cons to both tuning styles.
Can ya do a summary of pros and cons for tuning with adding boost vs timing? I knew this differed per tuner but never thought past that lol.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,912 Posts
Yeah, I'm currently on the ~75% wgdc map and I've seen it hit 28.24 psi when I was trying to get a log in 3rd, but with the skinny snow tires on it keeps breaking loose...

Brian can also get away with more timing at my altitude than he can closer to sea level. On the stock turbo when running wmi, he had it pushing over 22 degrees of timing advance in the upper rpm range.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
Can ya do a summary of pros and cons for tuning with adding boost vs timing? I knew this differed per tuner but never thought past that lol.
So ill preface that i am biased, but ill try to make this as unbiased as possible. Also this is going to be generally speaking, not necessarily specific to the focus st

More boost/less timing:
Pros: Make the most of the compressor map of your turbo (assuming its sized to your engine properly). Because of this its possible to overcome short comings of an engine (like a power limiting restriction point) through forced volumetric efficiency

Cons: increased heat at any given power level, increased drive pressure (backpressure into the cylinders), which heightens the possibility of knock. Increased load on the turbo operating at higher RPMs, potential reduced life, nearly maxing out MAP sensor on the ST platform well before other thresholds are met (like engine power limits)

Less boost/more timing:
Pros: decreased time to reach boost threshold (both because the threshold is lower and because your engine is producing more power on its own with atmospheric pressure, therefore spooling turbo faster during this transient timing change (or at least the sensation of the turbo spooling faster), less heat, less drive pressure, lower turbo RPM and presumably longer life

Cons: depending on the vehicle/ turbo setup could potentially succumb to downfalls in natural engine restrictions and not make as much power under the curve. This doesnt apply to the ST in my opinion, though, even though the exhaust port in the head is pretty small and considered a restriction in the very high horsepower builds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so will you be dyno ing this beast now, and even though the boost graphs are close, is there a smile inducing difference in power between 93 & E30

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
so will you be dyno ing this beast now, and even though the boost graphs are close, is there a smile inducing difference in power between 93 & E30
Nah, I'm not worried enough about dyno numbers to spend money having it done. It does exactly what i want it to do now on both fuels.

And there is a noticeable difference between the 2 fuels. But both bring a smile to my face.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts