Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....anybody running this knob - is the shift pattern rubbing off at all? I see it's not etched into the knob, it's painted on...wondering if that would be a problem down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have their 270 gram knob and it's etched in there good, I can't see any situation except literally having sandpaper hands, removing the shift pattern. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: thechriskarel

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had my boomba shift knob for about 6 months now. I will say that the pattern seems significantly more dull than when I first purchased it. The knob feels completely smooth to the touch to me, doesn't appear to be much if any 'etching' at all.

Not to say I'm terribly disappointed with it, overall I like the knob. To answer your question tho, yes my pattern has faded somewhat over time. I've attached a picture I just took for reference.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my boomba shift knob for about 6 months now. I will say that the pattern seems significantly more dull than when I first purchased it. The knob feels completely smooth to the touch to me, doesn't appear to be much if any 'etching' at all.

Not to say I'm terribly disappointed with it, overall I like the knob. To answer your question tho, yes my pattern has faded somewhat over time. I've attached a picture I just took for reference.

ugh oh no...my fear!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Also what I thought lol. It was somewhat matte when I first got it. I mean I use it every day since this is my daily driver. I will say although it looks slick, my hand tends to grip it well enough.

I don't get your picture. That doesn't look like mine at all as far as material. Mine is a rubber compound that there is no way would ever get that shiney. I would talk to Boomba about that

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't get your picture. That doesn't look like mine at all as far as material. Mine is a rubber compound that there is no way would ever get that shiney. I would talk to Boomba about that
Well I ordered it straight from boomba...I can take another pic showing the logo at the base. I will also say thag my shift pattern absolutely did not line up. I literally had to stuff a crap ton of plumbers tape down inside in order to get it to tighten down correctly where the pattern would line up.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well I ordered it straight from boomba...I can take another pic showing the logo at the base. I will also say thag my shift pattern absolutely did not line up. I literally had to stuff a crap ton of plumbers tape down inside in order to get it to tighten down correctly where the pattern would line up.

You really need to reach out to them. Mine went on perfect first try without any issues. That wear doesn't look right either. I'd email them or PM them on here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You really need to reach out to them. Mine went on perfect first try without any issues. That wear doesn't look right either. I'd email them or PM them on here.
I guess it's worth a shot...I don't want to seem like I'm complaining because I do like it but I agree it has not been the ideal experience. I remember being pretty pissed about it not lining up and having to rig it up like that. But once I fixed it I kinda forgot about it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How long have you had yours? Think you could post a pic for reference?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
How long have you had yours? Think you could post a pic for reference?

Just went and took a picture, not worth uploading. With the lighting it looks similiar to yours although not AS shiney. Only had it for like 3k miles too, so it might get to yours, now I'm worried! I planned on going to a heavier knob, but still, your picture now has me worried.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just went and took a picture, not worth uploading. With the lighting it looks similiar to yours although not AS shiney. Only had it for like 3k miles too, so it might get to yours, now I'm worried! I planned on going to a heavier knob, but still, your picture now has me worried.
Yeah it was a hard picture for me to take as well lol. I mean I know it appears shiny but it's really not overly slick feeling. My hand rarely ever slips. I mainly just wish my shift pattern still looked as good as new. Oh and that it also lined up and I didn't have to stuff 100 yards of tape down in it to line up...

·
Vendor
3,281 Posts
A few things about our knobs:

They are made out of Delrin which makes them temperature neutral. This means they are not super hot in the summer nor super cold in the winter. They come as a matte black finish but depending on dirt and oil from your hand, they can on a shiny finish over time.

Our "engraved" knobs have the shift pattern etched on top using our laser engraving machine. It is not milled on there using any type of CNC machine.

Any of our engraved knobs are meant to be installed using heat as demonstrated in this video:

This eliminates the need for a set screw or stop-nut. How this works is that the Delrin shell is pressed over a brass core that has two o-rings on it. When you heat the knob, the shell expands and allows the shell of the knob to rotate on the core until the pattern is lined up. Once the knob cools down, the orings secure the shell onto the core, keeping everything centered.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
A few things about our knobs:

They are made out of Delrin which makes them temperature neutral. This means they are not super hot in the summer nor super cold in the winter. They come as a matte black finish but depending on dirt and oil from your hand, they can on a shiny finish over time.

Our "engraved" knobs have the shift pattern etched on top using our laser engraving machine. It is not milled on there using any type of CNC machine.

Any of our engraved knobs are meant to be installed using heat as demonstrated in this video:

This eliminates the need for a set screw or stop-nut. How this works is that the Delrin shell is pressed over a brass core that has two o-rings on it. When you heat the knob, the shell expands and allows the shell of the knob to rotate on the core until the pattern is lined up. Once the knob cools down, the orings secure the shell onto the core, keeping everything centered.
That's actually an insanely creative way of doing it. Well done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts