Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a bnr turbo this spring. Anyone have this? What am I all going to need to get this swap done? Like what am I all going to need for parts?

· Registered
2017 ST3, Accelatec catted DP, 3" cobb cat back, 91 Tuned by Stratified
102 Posts

· Brian Tyson, Tuner/ Owner @ JST
2015 Ford Focus ST
182 Posts
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a bnr turbo this spring. Anyone have this? What am I all going to need to get this swap done? Like what am I all going to need for parts?
There turbos are great! we used to sell mainly ATP kits, but we sell far more BNR kits now than ATP. Mostly due to price and simplicity to install.

If your car already has the basic bolt ons, you simply need the BNR turbo kit, and a charge pipe setup that has a BOV mounting spot, and the BOV to mount on it. The factory BPV/BOV is mounted on the factory turbo, and most upgraded turbos do not have this mounting spot. The CPE exhale kit is generally what i recommend paired with either an HKS or Tial Blow off valve.

If you dont already have one, you will need a sound symposer delete that has a vacuum nipple as well. You will be running a vacuum line from this nipple to the nipple on the BOV that you choose to go with.

other than that, you should be covered.

· Registered
1 Posts
Brian with JST is who I went with and I am currently running datalogs with him. I was a little intimidated about installing the turbo, but I had done everything else to the car myself so I decided to tackle it. I went with BNR71 as my goals are 450whp. Install was super easy. Hardest part was taking off everything around the turbo to install it. The kit went on great with really good fitment. I did it on jackstands and took about 8 hours. I have the cpe exhale with tial BOV. You will also need a 6 inch long 3 inch diameter coupler for the intake. If you don’t have a downpipe or rmm yet you might as well get those and change them while your there because they will need to be taken off to install. If you change your downpipe, Get a defouler for the downstream o2 sensor because tuners can no longer turn that sensor off and you will get CEL p0420. Brian is quick with sending revisions and getting back with you on datalogs. He even helped me out during his Christmas break. Fully recommend him. The BNR71 is pulling hard now I’m on the 3rd tune from him. Believe it’s 20psi at 3600rpm and full boost by 3900-4000rpm. You won’t regret going big turbo. Good luck and have fun 🤙

· Registered
2017 OW ST1 unknown aftermarket FMIC & Exhaust, upgraded to Sync3 + full Recaro leather seat pkg.
161 Posts
I'm in the process of installing mine now. I will have a write up on the bnr st71 install with all parts. Including the little things like the Ford parts.. v band, little yellow filter, gaskets, fire ring etc.
I was waiting to see if someone said to watch for your post. Though I'm miles away from any such fun I'm curious as George to see what it all entails. Still got those floor mats? :cool:

Reactions: colewhateva

· Registered
2018 Focus ST1 BT, BNRST67 FBO
68 Posts
I will say with the BNR Turbos I had mine installed by a master mechanic and he had to kind of tweak the oil feed line cause it didn’t quite sit flat on one side after you finish tightening the other side it just depends on what side u tighten first

· Registered
2018 Focus ST1
341 Posts
BNR3071

I have a beta version of the turbo. The install was a god damn nightmare. Thanks to those issues, my future BNR brethren will not have to deal with these things. The newer versions Bryan has been producing eliminated 90% of the issues I encountered. Fitment, having to grind, sand some areas. They’re definitely easier to install now than it was 3 years ago. There is a video on YouTube of someone installing a ATP kit. Everyone references that for a turbo install and has great results. It’s easy to do - but some blood, sweat, and tears will go into it lol.

You will need a hot side & cold side charge pipe. An external blow off valve. BNR is internal waste gate so no need to get an external. Other than that the car should be FBO before getting this far.

Stock fuel system will support 360/380 to the wheels based on location/sea elevation.

When I went the Guinea pig route for Bryan at BNR a lot of people talked ****. “It’s a Chinese eBay turbo - it’s going to break - my name brand kit will put out more power - it’s journal bearing not even ball bearing turbo” 3 years later. 20K+ miles on this setup. No issues but parts breaking because of the power level.
Rectangle Slope Font World Line

1 - 10 of 10 Posts