Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my girls 2016 Mini apart over the weekend to clean the valves and install a CC. I was surprised to say the least at the lack of carbon build up on a direct injected motor. I then noticed the injectors are located on top of the motor by the spark plugs and angled towards the intake valves. You can see a small spot on the back of the valve stem but manifold and IC were oil free. The car has 15000 miles on it and is tuned with a JB4.

IMG_20170708_140746.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Must be nice. I guess I have a reason to be slightly more fond of MINI's and BMW

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saw a vid of an earlier Mini getting the crushed walnut treatment on the intake valves to clean them.

My guess is they got something right in the 2016 head design to fix it.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must be nice. I guess I have a reason to be slightly more fond of MINI's and BMW
Yeah I'm not really a fan but my ole lady just had to have one. Trust me I wasted no time tuning it and doing beta on E30 (Burger tuning is local and a friend) LoL. It's fun to drive but to me a total chick car

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Must be a German thing. Ive taken off a few direct injection Mercedes heads. The valves i have seen are fairly clean up until the 40k mark and then you start seeing the gunk. The reason I have had to take them off is typically due to causes from lack of maintenance so there may be other factors involved as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i know VW is starting to build motors with twin injectors. them mail in combustion chamber. and additional one in port. just to clean the stuff.
so it can be something in this direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts