Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
that's early to have a turbo fail assuming you're stock but good thing you're covered under warranty

·
Registered
148 Posts
If this is a pretty common this I can see Ford extending the warranty on the turbo itself for an additional length of time. I know that Volkswagen did it with the turbos in their cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm fighting ford about the same problem with my 13 st. i just replaced it myself for $600, plus a weekend. had 26k miles on it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm fighting ford about the same problem with my 13 st. i just replaced it myself for $600, plus a weekend. had 26k miles on it.
Did you have a tune on yours? If so, did you return to stock before visiting the dealer?

Mine is back at the dealer again. Turbo lost boost again after about ten miles. Hopefully just a hose they didn't tighten properly. It wasn't smoking this time, so I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you have a tune on yours? If so, did you return to stock before visiting the dealer?

Mine is back at the dealer again. Turbo lost boost again after about ten miles. Hopefully just a hose they didn't tighten properly. It wasn't smoking this time, so I hope that's all it is.
Was it just a hose?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was it just a hose?
I haven't picked it up yet but dealer says it was the high-pressure fuel pump! Huh? Doesn't make sense as it ran fine except for no boost... unless the computer shuts the boost down if the hpfp fails perhaps? And why would the fuel pump go out within ten miles after replacing the turbo? Dunno... but they fixed it free of charge, so I can't complain.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
isn't the hpfp mechanical?

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
isn't the hpfp mechanical?
The HPFP is electromechanical. The electric components of the pump assembly include a solenoid that controls fuel flow into the pump assembly. The mechanical components of the pump include a cam-driven piston that pressurizes the fuel, and a bypass valve that sets maximum pressure.

More details, including diagrams, may be found here: Blog : Upgrading your Ecoboost Fuel System ? Part 1 ? How it Works : Stratified Automotive Controls

1 - 17 of 17 Posts