Ford Focus ST Forum banner

2101 - 2118 of 2118 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had small issues with my 2013 model. It had a full exhaust/dp, drop in filter and a small tune. It blew a rod at 28k miles. Original owner. Warranty: Nope. non- Ford tune which violates federal EPA and copy write laws.

I highly doubt the first few on this list with those tons of mods got covered under warranty. Dealers are getting fined $10-50k for honoring modded vehicles under warranty. Plus, it doesn’t matter if you return the car to stock, the ECU has been unlocked and there is no way to go in and lock it back up, plus various sensors have been pushed past Oem parameters when tuned and those sensors will stay in an altered condition. There’s no such thing as a undetectable tune once removed.
i got covered under warranty here to by ford with all my mods at the time it depends on the dealer really if they want to help you out or not my dealer is so in to cars same as us for modding that they will try everything to help plus if you can get the parts there it a bonus for that too for my experience anyways

·
Registered
3 Posts
106 pages of this s#!t? Wow. Anyway:

Username: mwm2.0
Car and Year: 2013 Focus ST
Mileage: 70K miles
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Cylinder 4 oil soaked plug, 20 psi compression (waiting for borescope, then maybe dealership assessment, will update)
Modifications and tune: MBRP cat back, K&N intake, COBB Stage 1 91oct (that's it, MILD!!!)
Under what circumstances did it fail: Cruising at 40-45 mph, 5th gear I think
Any signs prior to failure?: Everything normal, then BAM shaking, trouble light flashing, COBB AP code read "Cylinder 4 misfire"
Warranty?: Oh hell no

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canton Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Wheezer...are you still in possesion of some motors? My '17 popped a Cylinder 4 misfire and I want to be prepared for the worst lol. I'm in VA so if shipping is a problem I would probably drive up a get it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey Wheezer...are you still in possesion of some motors? My '17 popped a Cylinder 4 misfire and I want to be prepared for the worst lol. I'm in VA so if shipping is a problem I would probably drive up a get it.
You're still under powertrain warranty - if worse comes to worse, why not try that first?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thought id keep the thread going.
Username: candyred.obs
Car and Year: 2018 Focus ST
Mileage: 17,7xx
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Piston - Cylinder 1 (No compression at all, appears to be melted piston on borescope)
Modifications and tune: Stratified 93 Flashtune, CPE Charge Pipes, CPE Intercooler, CPE Intake, AWE Touring Edition Exaust, unknown blow off valve, boomba symposer delete, Radium catch can on crankcase side (it never had oil in it, car prolly needed the pcv side one....)
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): Came up to a stop light, slowly let clutch out to inch forward car bogged more than usual light turned green gave it a little gas slowly let the clutch out rpms dropped to 500 even when I gave it gas flashing check engine car went back to driving with a dead miss my ap said cylinder 1. By the time I got home crankcase blew 3 quarts over the engine, bottom end is still good.
Any signs prior to failure?: Bought the car full bolt on burning a bit of oil on intake side from ford dealership at 15.2k miles they said it wasn't tuned so I assumed it was stage 0 because they said it wasn't beat on. I didn't check the tune on my test drive because I didn't smell anything on my test drive and I didnt want the dealership questioning what I was doing. The 200 mile drive home under any acceleration I smelt oil but car ran good and wasn't burning a huge amount. Get home check the tune and find all the owners paper work and was excited because original owner said he never beat on it in a phone call. I was afraid at the time I bought a time bomb. The week after I bought it I noticed idle issues like idle hunting along with excessive bogging with ac on so I was going to take it to a local dealership and I ordered a new tune because the a/f ratio on the original owners dyno sheets scared me and the cobb showed a/f wouldn't drop below 12:2 at wot. Also smoke out the exaust under load was also something I noticed, car blew the piston on a weekend a day before I was taking it to a dealership and a day before my new tune came in.
Warranty?: Nope, My dealership told me motor was fine, Ford needs to fire every "mechanic" they have, and then the dealership I bought it from said I excessively wore the front tires and that I put too many miles on it in the month I owned it. So im 19 with a 24k loan and a blown motor and everyone just laughing cause they got their money. Ford said my cars motor was fine when the crankcase is filling with pressure and smoke and my compression tester said 0 on 1 and 170 on 2.... So im back to driving my 94 f350 with 160k miles that I have done everything too myself..... Dont buy a used focus st when they say it wasn't beat on also don't go to Quarryville ford or Parrish ford.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thought id keep the thread going.
Username: candyred.obs
Car and Year: 2018 Focus ST
Mileage: 17,7xx
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Piston - Cylinder 1 (No compression at all, appears to be melted piston on borescope)
Modifications and tune: Stratified 93 Flashtune, CPE Charge Pipes, CPE Intercooler, CPE Intake, AWE Touring Edition Exaust, unknown blow off valve, boomba symposer delete, Radium catch can on crankcase side (it never had oil in it, car prolly needed the pcv side one....)
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): Came up to a stop light, slowly let clutch out to inch forward car bogged more than usual light turned green gave it a little gas slowly let the clutch out rpms dropped to 500 even when I gave it gas flashing check engine car went back to driving with a dead miss my ap said cylinder 1. By the time I got home crankcase blew 3 quarts over the engine, bottom end is still good.
Any signs prior to failure?: Bought the car full bolt on burning a bit of oil on intake side from ford dealership at 15.2k miles they said it wasn't tuned so I assumed it was stage 0 because they said it wasn't beat on. I didn't check the tune on my test drive because I didn't smell anything on my test drive and I didnt want the dealership questioning what I was doing. The 200 mile drive home under any acceleration I smelt oil but car ran good and wasn't burning a huge amount. Get home check the tune and find all the owners paper work and was excited because original owner said he never beat on it in a phone call. I was afraid at the time I bought a time bomb. The week after I bought it I noticed idle issues like idle hunting along with excessive bogging with ac on so I was going to take it to a local dealership and I ordered a new tune because the a/f ratio on the original owners dyno sheets scared me and the cobb showed a/f wouldn't drop below 12:2 at wot. Also smoke out the exaust under load was also something I noticed, car blew the piston on a weekend a day before I was taking it to a dealership and a day before my new tune came in.
Warranty?: Nope, My dealership told me motor was fine, Ford needs to fire every "mechanic" they have, and then the dealership I bought it from said I excessively wore the front tires and that I put too many miles on it in the month I owned it. So im 19 with a 24k loan and a blown motor and everyone just laughing cause they got their money. Ford said my cars motor was fine when the crankcase is filling with pressure and smoke and my compression tester said 0 on 1 and 170 on 2.... So im back to driving my 94 f350 with 160k miles that I have done everything too myself..... Dont buy a used focus st when they say it wasn't beat on also don't go to Quarryville ford or Parrish ford.
There were quite a few red flags before you bought it, like the oil burning, and why someone would have sold the car to a dealership with such low mileage. Sales department will tell you anything you want to hear to get a sale.

Sounds like previous owner knowingly caused engine failure to be eminent and then sold it before it could blow.

Also, you bought a used car with no warranty at all?

·
Registered
15 Posts
There were quite a few red flags before you bought it, like the oil burning, and why someone would have sold the car to a dealership with such low mileage. Sales department will tell you anything you want to hear to get a sale.

Sounds like previous owner knowingly caused engine failure to be eminent and then sold it before it could blow.

Also, you bought a used car with no warranty at all?
To be honest I will never know what original owner did and it had warrenty the ford powertrain warrenty and original dealer said they would warrenty it when I bought it. I called them and they said no. Original owner said it wasn’t beat on but then it wouldn’t have been burning oil if it wasn’t beat on. I also am used to oil burning didn’t think it was a big deal but I guess it’s different for new motors.

·
Registered
859 Posts
To be honest I will never know what original owner did and it had warrenty the ford powertrain warrenty and original dealer said they would warrenty it when I bought it. I called them and they said no. Original owner said it wasn’t beat on but then it wouldn’t have been burning oil if it wasn’t beat on. I also am used to oil burning didn’t think it was a big deal but I guess it’s different for new motors.
Yeah, these motors generally don't burn oil terribly. If you see that occurring, somethings wrong. Did they explain why they won't warranty it? You just bought it. You didn't mention it was tuned, correct?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ugh, 24K?!!?? A new engine is under a grand but please, work on your negotiating skills or something.

You can use basically any turbo 2.0 from ford.

Www.car-part.com for finding an engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, these motors generally don't burn oil terribly. If you see that occurring, somethings wrong. Did they explain why they won't warranty it? You just bought it. You didn't mention it was tuned, correct?
I actually bought the car under the terms it wasn’t tuned I found out it was cranked all the way up, not on stage 0 as I thought, then issues arose. I didn’t modify this car at all I bought it stage3. I call original dealer and said dude you sold me a tuned and abused car as I have order numbers and dates. Dealer guy goes friends of friends owned the car and it was not abused and was sold in perfect condition. Dealer had my local dealer measure the tires said and I quote “ you excessively wore the tires and how did you put 2000 miles on the car in the month you abused the car have a nice day”. Thats how he got out of it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I actually bought the car under the terms it wasn’t tuned I found out it was cranked all the way up, not on stage 0 as I thought, then issues arose. I didn’t modify this car at all I bought it stage3. I call original dealer and said dude you sold me a tuned and abused car as I have order numbers and dates. Dealer guy goes friends of friends owned the car and it was not abused and was sold in perfect condition. Dealer had my local dealer measure the tires said and I quote “ you excessively wore the tires and how did you put 2000 miles on the car in the month you abused the car have a nice day”. Thats how he got out of it.
I'd contact your state AG, if you have documentation, they can't deny your warranty.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The dealership will always win man... I’ll try but they gonna make up some ****.
I get how you feel, but from a legal standpoint, if they sold you a modified car and said it was covered by a form of warranty, they legally have to honor it. If you did nothing to cause the engine to blow, its not your fault.

Do you have papers/proof it was tuned before you bought it? If so, and the dealership said it wasn't tuned, you're in the right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get how you feel, but from a legal standpoint, if they sold you a modified car and said it was covered by a form of warranty, they legally have to honor it. If you did nothing to cause the engine to blow, its not your fault.

Do you have papers/proof it was tuned before you bought it? If so, and the dealership said it wasn't tuned, you're in the right.
dealership said it wasn't tuned but I have original owners order number from stratified and its all date stamped same with the dyno sheets and work papers. I filed a claim with my attorney general and hopefully he comes through.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dealership said it wasn't tuned but I have original owners order number from stratified and its all date stamped same with the dyno sheets and work papers. I filed a claim with my attorney general and hopefully he comes through.
So they told you it wasn't tuned but it actually was.
My question is why did it blow? Did you run low octane fuel on a higher octane tune?
I am thinking of tuning my car but this thread has me a bit nervous.
My car is my daily driver. Don't get me wrong an excuse to put a 2.3L in would be nice but during this pandemic I would like to keep my savings where it is at for if/when work gets shut down because of a COVID-19 out-break.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So they told you it wasn't tuned but it actually was.
My question is why did it blow? Did you run low octane fuel on a higher octane tune?
I am thinking of tuning my car but this thread has me a bit nervous.
My car is my daily driver. Don't get me wrong an excuse to put a 2.3L in would be nice but during this pandemic I would like to keep my savings where it is at for if/when work gets shut down because of a COVID-19 out-break.
So they said it wasnt tuned when it was which it had the cobb in there but I didnt think the dude had it cranked up as dealer said it wasnt abused. I bought it burning oil so I dont think the stratified tune was at fault I believe it was more so the cobb tune he ran for 4 months before the stratified one that that damaged the motor. I always ran 93 in the car as thats what the tune called for and it knew it was a turbo car so 87 octane wasnt even in my head as usable. As for why did it blow I have no idea tbh the borescope showed piston 1 was deformed right under the plug but I couldn't see an actual hole or damage to the edges of the piston ima go back and look again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bought it and it burned oil.... From what I have read these cars don't seem to burn oil. That's a red flag right there. Seems like something was definitely wrong when you bought it.

2101 - 2118 of 2118 Posts