Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m relatively new here and would love some incite. I recently got my Ford Focus ST (ST3) and did some bolt ons and an exhaust and got it tuned (stratified). I got the car at 36,xxx. and have 41,xxx miles on it. Long story short I melted a hole through one of my piston heads and am looking into buying a new built short block. I need some help figuring out who sells the best built short blocks. Would love to hear what people have heard and what people are running. Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just an FYI because you sound like you might be a bit green with cars, if you melted a piston because of a bad injector, bad tune whatever that won't be corrected by a built shortblock. If you are looking to go bigger on power by all means a built shortblock is a step in the right direction. If you just want a good running tuned car I would be looking for a low mile stock longblock for like $1k-2k. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,567 Posts
Hello, I’m relatively new here and would love some incite. I recently got my Ford Focus ST (ST3) and did some bolt ons and an exhaust and got it tuned (stratified). I got the car at 36,xxx. and have 41,xxx miles on it. Long story short I melted a hole through one of my piston heads and am looking into buying a new built short block. I need some help figuring out who sells the best built short blocks. Would love to hear what people have heard and what people are running. Thanks!
I would agree with @Stardog, first find out what was the cause of the piston failure, then make an informed decision on how to proceed. A used long block will save you much money, but, if you are looking to add big power like with a big turbo, look into building a motor or buying one. In any case, in answer to your question about where to buy, check out Speed Perf6rmanc3.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What were you doing when the engine went? did you happen to give it full throttle in a high gear, at low rpm?
Racing some buddies goin to get food. I was around 3.5k rpm every pull. I parked got my food n then about halfway home I got 2 codes (misfire cyl 4, misfire under 1k rpm)and engine ran rough and misfired a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an FYI because you sound like you might be a bit green with cars, if you melted a piston because of a bad injector, bad tune whatever that won't be corrected by a built shortblock. If you are looking to go bigger on power by all means a built shortblock is a step in the right direction. If you just want a good running tuned car I would be looking for a low mile stock longblock for like $1k-2k. Good luck.
I work for a tuning company and am getting a custom tune by them. Going big turbo In the future so I thought to myself might as well built my motor now since I’ll have it apart. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would agree with @Stardog, first find out what was the cause of the piston failure, then make an informed decision on how to proceed. A used long block will save you much money, but, if you are looking to add big power like with a big turbo, look into building a motor or buying one. In any case, in answer to your question about where to buy, check out Speed Perf6rmanc3.

Thank you!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 2.0 built long block on a stand in my garage. Not sure what I am going to do with it. Mahle pistons and Manley rods. New stock every thing else. So just adding it up in my head I have $4k in it. Let me know what your market research shows for your situation.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
692 Posts
Racing some buddies goin to get food. I was around 3.5k rpm every pull. I parked got my food n then about halfway home I got 2 codes (misfire cyl 4, misfire under 1k rpm)and engine ran rough and misfired a lot.
Few questions for my own enlightenment (and so I don't do what you did):
What gear were you starting the pulls in?
What oil are you using and how long had it been since it was changed?
Were you running a non-factory intercooler, and if so, which one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few questions for my own enlightenment (and so I don't do what you did):
What gear were you starting the pulls in?
What oil are you using and how long had it been since it was changed?
Were you running a non-factory intercooler, and if so, which one?

Thanks.
Starting pulls in second and third gear. Full synthetic oil Changed the week prior, and running factory intercooler.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
692 Posts
Thanks. How many pulls did you do and do you have any idea what your charge air temps were on the final one? With the factory intercooler, I bet it was 160+.

Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This sounds so incredibly wrong.
I shift my ST at 5k and do burn outs at every possible opportunity.
My car has 50k + miles and I beat it Lomé it owes me money.
The whole piston / hole thing has me suspecting some not admitted tune or gas octane omission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts