Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to reach out in the community. I have a 2013 ST and I've been seeing people who have blown their head gaskets about how much are y'all paying with no warranty. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my local shop (not Ford Dealer) quote me $1800 just in labor. You'll also be looking at the gasket itself, head studs, timing chain and whatever else needs to be replaced while they're in there. There's also the chance that it could just be that the head is warped or cracked, which means a new head too.

It's honestly cheaper/easier to swap the engine, if you're mechanically inclined (I'm doing this next weekend). Since it's the same 2.0T that's in the Fusion and Escape (with a difference in the oil cooler) you can find an engine at your local LKQ with less than 80k miles for around $500-$800.

-Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I appreciate it I'll keep an update on it because the oil isnt milky but we still need to do the compression test to find out for sure.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had my local shop (not Ford Dealer) quote me $1800 just in labor. You'll also be looking at the gasket itself, head studs, timing chain and whatever else needs to be replaced while they're in there. There's also the chance that it could just be that the head is warped or cracked, which means a new head too.

It's honestly cheaper/easier to swap the engine, if you're mechanically inclined (I'm doing this next weekend). Since it's the same 2.0T that's in the Fusion and Escape (with a difference in the oil cooler) you can find an engine at your local LKQ with less than 80k miles for around $500-$800.

-Nick
Damn good idea. Easier too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you I appreciate it I'll keep an update on it because the oil isnt milky but we still need to do the compression test to find out for sure.
No problem! Yeah mine wasn't milky either, though I did notice a very little bit of cross contamination when I last drained the oil and coolant to change the blown turbo (I swear my FOST is cursed)

Damn good idea. Easier too.
I wish I could take the credit, haha. ;) I just happened to find all the info on here!

-Nick

·
Registered
815 Posts
You should be able to find it done for WAY cheaper then 1800 and thats with all the parts and labor. Im going to say around 1200 to 1400 depending on shop and reliability and skill of said shop. The shop that quoted you 1800 just on labor is trying to cut your wallet pocket off and run with it. You can get a timing chain and tensioner done for 600 to 700 and thats labor and parts, so throw another 2 hours of labor to pop the head off and 2(at most reputable shops outside of dealers are around 65 to 75 an hour) hours is slow really, a skilled tech could do it under 2, and all parts should be able to be bought for 200 or so factory maybe 350 to 450 if you go with aftermarket head studs. So 700 plus another 2 hours that takes you to 850 and lets say you buy aftermarket high quality parts and reach maybe 450 or 500, your still only at 1350 or so thats 400 bucks cheaper. Don't get me wrong, you have to have a reputable shop that you know and they respect you as you do them and they treat you well. Now as far as the engine deal, you prolly can do what he suggested just getting a used motor, but obviously with that comes risks of not knowing where the motor came from as far as maintenance wise, was it in an accident, did it overheat, was it beaten on, can you get a compression test result from used engine before you buy it to at least know thats good? Anyways after you cop the motor for 500 to 800? Your going to be back up at prolly around 1400 to 1500 after install, and if you got an asswhole shop they could say 2k after install, so then you aren't saving money and you just accepted a bunch of risks. Its a toss up. Really if you got friends and they are knowledgeable, you can do a headgasket for parts and some beer or honey oil, or both...I am not condoning drinking or smoking illegal drugs, I don't partake in either. But I'd pay for some if it got me cheap labor...hahahaha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts