Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was cruising at 60 mph uphill in traffic, and noticed temp going up and sweet smell. i then looked in rear view and saw white smoke. fighting with ford, and might be going to court. has anyone swapped out the engine from the top? i was told you need to remove it from the bottom. HELP:haha:

·
Registered
219 Posts
was cruising at 60 mph uphill in traffic, and noticed temp going up and sweet smell. i then looked in rear view and saw white smoke. fighting with ford, and might be going to court. has anyone swapped out the engine from the top? i was told you need to remove it from the bottom. HELP:haha:
Best to remove from bottom and front, may be a cracked head, we had one the had a crack in the headifold between 2 & 3

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Why do you say "#2". Are you implying this has happened before? Just curious why not details or clarification around an important detail that you clearly mentioned on purpose? If it is your second time having a critical failure due to plain bad luck (not your fault) then you really are very unlucky.

Sincerely sorry about your trouble, hope it works out for the better. Fill us in with the details brother.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One blown engine is understandable, when we start talking about TWO blown engines, i'm thinking it's more than bad luck....aka driver error. Tell us more about cruising up this hill. If your RPMs were too low then you might have caused it. Also, are you modded/tuned?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
3 posts, no response for a full day. Hopefully OP is gathering data for us....

·
Registered
1 Posts
One blown engine is understandable, when we start talking about TWO blown engines, i'm thinking it's more than bad luck....aka driver error. Tell us more about cruising up this hill. If your RPMs were too low then you might have caused it. Also, are you modded/tuned?
What RPM is suggested to be at when cruising up hill? This post just scared the ****e outta me since I just took my car up the canyon recently and was wondering what RPM's I should be at.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
What RPM is suggested to be at when cruising up hill? This post just scared the ****e outta me since I just took my car up the canyon recently and was wondering what RPM's I should be at.
Don't be scared by this, as long as you're not redlining around town in 5th and 6th you should be okay. I don't want to give you bad advice, but in general, you can rev higher in lower gears (2-4) and once you are cruising you can use 5-6th. Also the shift light tells you to shift at like 2k rpm, which is way too soon and a lot of times it will shift you so the car is using like 1k rpm and would almost stall if you actually listened to it's shifting suggestions. 3-5k is a good range for shifting depending on the aggressiveness of the ride.

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where i live its completely flat, i stay at 2500rpm, i shift between 3000 to 3500 rpm on normal driving, i dont cruise below 2000 rpm which is hard on the clutch at times. Not worried about blowing the engine, white smoke generally means you blew a head gasket, much better then a cracked block though, lets hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't be scared by this, as long as you're not redlining around town in 5th and 6th you should be okay. I don't want to give you bad advice, but in general, you can rev higher in lower gears (2-4) and once you are cruising you can use 5-6th. Also the shift light tells you to shift at like 2k rpm, which is way too soon and a lot of times it will shift you so the car is using like 1k rpm and would almost stall if you actually listened to it's shifting suggestions. 3-5k is a good range for shifting depending on the aggressiveness of the ride.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about in the first part of your post. how would you be redlining around town in 5th or 6th, you would be way over the speed limit lol. I think what he is asking about is the LSPI issues on turbo cars.

Basically, don't lug the car in higher gears and hit boost. I think people make it out to sound like if you don't drive your car a certain way it will blow up. Just use common sense. i have driven my cobalt ss/tc for almost 6 years now and i have never blown it up from driving it wrong. if i am in a high gear just cruising along, i just don't hit boost. if i need to pass, i down gear. It's a very easy problem to avoid if you are not an idiot. It's nothing that should be keeping you up at night.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are talking about in the first part of your post. how would you be redlining around town in 5th or 6th, you would be way over the speed limit lol. I think what he is asking about is the LSPI issues on turbo cars.

Basically, don't lug the car in higher gears and hit boost. I think people make it out to sound like if you don't drive your car a certain way it will blow up. Just use common sense. i have driven my cobalt ss/tc for almost 6 years now and i have never blown it up from driving it wrong. if i am in a high gear just cruising along, i just don't hit boost. if i need to pass, i down gear. It's a very easy problem to avoid if you are not an idiot. It's nothing that should be keeping you up at night.
Your second paragraph was what I was getting at. However if you aren't redlining in 6th in 35mph zones you obviously don't drive your car right and need a minivan:wink:

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
26 Posts
Again, how would you redline your car in 6th at 35mph? the car literally would not let that happen unless you had a horribly worn clutch, in which case you have more problems than you thought. Do you mean flooring it in 6th at 35 mph?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Again, how would you redline your car in 6th at 35mph? the car literally would not let that happen unless you had a horribly worn clutch, in which case you have more problems than you thought. Do you mean flooring it in 6th at 35 mph?
I think Locke is more so saying "Flooring it" not red lining it lol.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was making a joke. Obviously if you are redlining it in 6th you are getting arrested in a 35mph zone. Obviously my joke wasn't delivered well because no one got it so I'ma just go back to lurking on the thread lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its really not that big of a deal. Just don't be an idiot. Don't lug the engine. If you try to go fast and you don't, you should probably downshift.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I was making a joke. Obviously if you are redlining it in 6th you are getting arrested in a 35mph zone. Obviously my joke wasn't delivered well because no one got it so I'ma just go back to lurking on the thread lol
I thought it was funny...and even funnier that no one took it as a joke. BTW, I'd love to redline 6th it in a 35 mph zone. Maybe I'll try it when the roads are really icy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts