Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Do you have numbers off your old one? Have you done any cross referencing?
Yup. Made double and extra sure.
Actually just pulled the upper bearing off of the old ones.
Gas Shipping box Machine Metal Artifact

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Bit the bullet and ordered another OEM bearing from jacks transmission. 55$
It said in-stock so hopefully I'll get it in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
In case anyone was wondering, jacks transmissions is on the ball.
Selected the cheapest shipping option. Ordered around lunch today and the part was in the mail with a tracking number in less than 2.5 hours. Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
For got to update this discussion. Got all my gears swapped and everything is good to go for the gearstacks that's going in the car.
Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Jewellery Coil

Also,
Fiinnaallyyyy got a shipping update from MAP. The diff should be here before next week!
I've got everything ready to go. Can't wait till it gets here. I think I'll go ahead and install the gear stacks and shift forks and everything soon. That way when the diff gets in, it's gametime.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Lil update. As par with the course, Diff didn't get here last week like it was sposed to. As of the time of this post, it is sitting in an UPS distribution center in Illinois after catching a plane from California. Estimated arrival date is Monday.

In preparation for it getting here, i started putting everything back together so all I'd have to do when it got here was shim the diff.
Put all the stacks in and final checked everything and it looked like someone dropped something on my 5-6-R gearstack.
Grrrr
Gear Gas Auto part Nickel Metal

Chipped a ***** out of the upper collar.
I checked everything else veerryy thoroughly, that's the only damage.
Luckily i had another one. Went ahead and swapped those tonight.
Public space Gas Souvenir Human settlement Engineering

Cost me another 50$ bearing from jacks transmissions.
That's on the way currently.
Side note: broke the gear puller set from harbor freight pulling the last bearing. It'll be replaced per their warranty, just something to note.
The threads for the little towers stripped out of the grabber for the bearing clamp piece.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
583 Posts
I’m going to send you my transmission for synchros and LSD install. You had became a master transmission guru!

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
I’m going to send you my transmission for synchros and LSD install. You had became a master transmission guru!
He's getting real good at taking them apart, no proof that it'll work yet!! LMFAO!!

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
583 Posts
Reactions: Skykri

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Woot! It's here! Will be taking a trip over to a buddy's shop to press the bearings on shortly. Will be getting the ring gear mounted shortly as well.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got the bearing in from Jack's transmissions yesterday so I went ahead and Installed it on the gearstack this afternoon. Got everything in the case and got it flipped over in preparation for doing the Diff shimming!
In the process, the input shaft bit me!
Hand Gesture Finger Nail Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Got the bearing in from Jack's transmissions yesterday so I went ahead and Installed it on the gearstack this afternoon. Got everything in the case and got it flipped over in preparation for doing the Diff shimming!
View attachment 399807
#BattleWounds Gotta love ‘em!!

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
View attachment 399807
Also, nobody shims anymore. Just use OEM installed shim, and fully seat the diff bearing races. Make sure your diff has the bearings all the way to the shoulder, its a smidge past flush iirc.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Also, nobody shims anymore. Just use OEM installed shim, and fully seat the diff bearing races. Make sure your diff has the bearings all the way to the shoulder, its a smidge past flush iirc.
If I leave the OE shim in, then put the case together with a couple of bolts. Would it be a good idea to push on it with my aluminum piece to make sure it doesn't move?

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
If I leave the OE shim in, then put the case together with a couple of bolts. Would it be a good idea to push on it with my aluminum piece to make sure it doesn't move?
Huh?

Geez, and here I am starting drinking at 9am, when you're already cracking open another fifth!!

We have a whole shimming procedure. It sucks, and isn't necessary. The more common and accepted practice is to just slap in new bearings and races. No measuring, no 9001 shims to buy, no torqueing the case together to use a measuring shim.

So idk what you are trying to convey right now.

New shimming? Or OEM shimming. There is no in between.

Reactions: W4R

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Huh?

Geez, and here I am starting drinking at 9am, when you're already cracking open another fifth!!

We have a whole shimming procedure. It sucks, and isn't necessary. The more common and accepted practice is to just slap in new bearings and races. No measuring, no 9001 shims to buy, no torqueing the case together to use a measuring shim.

So idk what you are trying to convey right now.

New shimming? Or OEM shimming. There is no in between.
OE shimming and then just making sure nothing is moving.

·
Administrator
13,753 Posts
OE shimming and then just making sure nothing is moving.
Well youd half to install and Torque properly at least half the trans case bolts.

That diff bearing has preload from the case halfs, which means you wont notice much. So yes you are trying to do the right thing, but in this particular circumstance, it wouldn't tell you much, and should be fine.

Heck, I don't think I even seen a focus st Diff bearing fail. Ever. You have like 50 ther things that are going to actually fail, before the diff bearing causes any issues, lol

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Whelp, everything's sealed in now.
Automotive tire Gear Font Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Torqued all the bolts to 30 ft-lbs.
Anyone know what the torque spec for the input shift is? Did 15 ft-lbs just preemptively. They don't have many threads.

Attachments

41 - 59 of 59 Posts