Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there everyone! To make light out of an unfortunate event, here's a meme for you all.
Head Plant Font Sharing Smile

Anyway, now that that is out of the way.
I seem to have an issue. After bombarding our wonderful administrator and a mechanic friend it has been determined that my bearings, specifically on the drivers side, are messed up.
Output shaft and potentially the differential bearings.

Car is a 16' ST3 with 102,54x miles at the time of posting
Car still shifts buttery smooth but you can hear the bearing whine under load in gears 1-3

Because I like to try new things and I may be slightly insane, I've decided to attempt this repair on my own.
There are several things that I would like to do "while I'm in there"

Assuming I can sell my 3 sets of wheels and tires, my budget is around 1,300$

My list of wants are
LSD (Mfactory)
Synchros(Mfactory)
Clutch(St/RS OEM)
Slave cylinder
Braided clutch line

My questions for you all are:

• 1. There seems to be a debate on the differences between the RS Clutch and ST clutch, any thoughts/reccomedations?

• 2. Anyone have recommendations on aftermarket clutch/flywheel combos similar on price point to the ST OEM?

• 3. I can get the LSD and synchros for 970$ shipped to my door, LSD by itself is only 680$ Are the synchros really worth that extra cost?

• 3a. If the syncros are worth the extra cost, what's the difficulty of install?

• 4. Did epstein kill himself?

• 5. Do you all have any other "while I'm in there" upgrades/preventative maintenance ideas?

• 6. Does anyone have the MMT6 parts diagram/exploded views?

• 7. If there is someone that had done an LSD install and is willing to let me bounce questions off of them, I'll find some way to pay you for putting up with me.

I've also found these links which are proving to be very helpful.

Thank you all so much for your help!

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,083 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having issues. Couldn't hear it in the video.

I've never had an MMT6 apart, but shifting hard with high power mods, would be false economy to put in an LSD and not replace some synchros IMHO. At least 1 thru 3.

Be sure the shift forks still have nylon pads in good condition.

No idea about Epstein; truth is stranger than fiction I would say.

Calling @Duece McCracken for the resident MMT6 expert 🙂.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Don't forget to possibly add a flywheel in there if your looking into a stock-ish clutch replacement. My stock DMF had a lot of play in it with about 48k-ish miles when I did the LSD, (granted a lot of those miles where auto-x) but still pretty worn considering most don't see that kind of play til they reach the current mileage you are at.

Reactions: Skykri

·
Registered
569 Posts
1. I wanna know this too...

2. I want to go ACT Clutch and Flywheel but they've been out of stock of their flywheels for months...

3. My buddy has Quaffe LSD and Mountune Carbon Synchros and it's BUTTTERRR dude.

3a. Probably pretty difficult if you have ADHD. I've heard if you're organized and detail oriented it's not too bad...

4. Absolutely not

5. Stainless Clutch line from Clutch Masters Also get ARP Flywheel Bolts

6. Probs but idk where.

7. No, everyone here is super unhelpful 🥲 (sarcasm)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear you're having issues. Couldn't hear it in the video.

I've never had an MMT6 apart, but shifting hard with high power mods, would be false economy to put in an LSD and not replace some synchros IMHO. At least 1 thru 3.

Be sure the shift forks still have nylon pads in good condition.

No idea about Epstein; truth is stranger than fiction I would say.

Calling @Duece McCracken for the resident MMT6 expert 🙂.
hah, duece is who I've been bothering with "so many questions"

Don't forget to possibly add a flywheel in there if your looking into a stock-ish clutch replacement. My stock DMF had a lot of play in it with about 48k-ish miles when I did the LSD, (granted a lot of those miles where auto-x) but still pretty worn considering most don't see that kind of play til they reach the current mileage you are at.
Yup, the Flywheel is getting included in the clutch replacement.
46X$ from ford. Yikes. Lol

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
Just slap bearings on the LSD, bolt the ring gear on, new races and seals. Done.

Do all the synchros, but you'll need countershaft bearings, countershaft bolts and horseshoe ring pliers. Added cost/hassle

Hopefully your trans case isnt deformed, causing the bearing issue.

Overall, not terrible to do, pulling the trans is the worst of it.

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
Oh, and you'll need new ring gear bolts, and flywheel bolts for the clutch.

You need torque wrenches. These parts need to be torqued properly. Especially the pressure plate and trans casing.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and you'll need new ring gear bolts, and flywheel bolts for the clutch.

You need torque wrenches. These parts need to be torqued properly. Especially the pressure plate and trans casing.
That quiafe install link has a good parts list. I've started there and added things in my own word document.

Any ideas for a smaller torque wrench or just what I can grab at a parts store?
I already have a larger one for wheels, etc.

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
That quiafe install link has a good parts list. I've started there and added things in my own word document.

Any ideas for a smaller torque wrench or just what I can grab at a parts store?
I already have a larger one for wheels, etc.
I buy locking collar click style torque wrenches. Mostly very expensive.

These are pretty nice for the money.

I just throw money around though, so asking me is not the best for budgets, lol

CDI 1002MFRMH 3/8-Inch Drive Metal Handle Click Type Wrench, Torque Range 10 to 100-Ft.lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LA19P2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TPH4FJFHFY94N7DQ6KX9

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench 10-100 ft/lbs. - 85062 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQGI3VY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_DYRZFGG4ZC6MXDMD28EW

Both are good, despite being foreign...

Gearwrench makes solid stuff and CDI is nice.

These are my go to torque wrench styles.

Most of mine are Wright Tools iirc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey there everyone! To make light out of an unfortunate event, here's a meme for you all.
View attachment 397756

Anyway, now that that is out of the way.
I seem to have an issue. After bombarding our wonderful administrator and a mechanic friend it has been determined that my bearings, specifically on the drivers side, are messed up.
Output shaft and potentially the differential bearings.

Car is a 16' ST3 with 102,54x miles at the time of posting
Car still shifts buttery smooth but you can hear the bearing whine under load in gears 1-3

Because I like to try new things and I may be slightly insane, I've decided to attempt this repair on my own.
There are several things that I would like to do "while I'm in there"

Assuming I can sell my 3 sets of wheels and tires, my budget is around 1,300$

My list of wants are
LSD (Mfactory)
Synchros(Mfactory)
Clutch(St/RS OEM)
Slave cylinder
Braided clutch line

My questions for you all are:

• 1. There seems to be a debate on the differences between the RS Clutch and ST clutch, any thoughts/reccomedations?

• 2. Anyone have recommendations on aftermarket clutch/flywheel combos similar on price point to the ST OEM?

• 3. I can get the LSD and synchros for 970$ shipped to my door, LSD by itself is only 680$ Are the synchros really worth that extra cost?

• 3a. If the syncros are worth the extra cost, what's the difficulty of install?

• 4. Did epstein kill himself?

• 5. Do you all have any other "while I'm in there" upgrades/preventative maintenance ideas?

• 6. Does anyone have the MMT6 parts diagram/exploded views?

• 7. If there is someone that had done an LSD install and is willing to let me bounce questions off of them, I'll find some way to pay you for putting up with me.

I've also found this link which is proving to be very helpful.

Thank you all so much for your help!
That meme tho🙌 making light always helps. Hope you find what your looking for!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whelp, just watched some more synchro install videos.
Looks fun.

The bearings i need for that install are these correct?
Automotive tire Engineering Gear Rim Gas

What about those plastic cap bearings on top of them? Video i watched, dude just destroyed them. Lol
I added a link to another thread where they were looking for the countershaft bearings that aren't 140$ for 2 bearings and 2 bolts.

Looks like they were found but I haven't researched them yet.

Also, what do you all think the likelihood of needing new shift forks is?

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
Whelp, just watched some more synchro install videos.
Looks fun.

The bearings i need for that install are these correct? View attachment 397765

What about those plastic cap bearings on top of them? Video i watched, dude just destroyed them. Lol
I added a link to another thread where they were looking for the countershaft bearings that aren't 140$ for 2 bearings and 2 bolts.

Looks like they were found but I haven't researched them yet.

Also, what do you all think the likelihood of needing new shift forks is?
Yeah, those two bearings and the two bolts that hold them. (Left hand thread btw)

You won't know the extent of the damage until you crack it open. Which may increase your down time considerably. Once you crack it, I can help you with some used parts.

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
Oh, and use

Gets you back on the road faster, most other RTV have like a 24 hour cure time, this bad boy is 90 min, and probably the greatest RTV ever for just about every use imaginable.

They make it in an aerosol can too, which is waaaaayyyy easier to apply, but is pricier, and has a tendency to get all jammed up bad over time, like all other RTV, lol. Im talking like, great for first day of use, then you come back weeks later and its a bit fuxed, kinda deal.

You'd be sealing the case halves, and the shift tower. Theres three external bolts that thread into the input shaft rear bearing, through the case. They actually have a raised ring on the clamping face that seals into a corresponding groove on the trans case. Really cool stuff actually. I do put a lil bit of RTV on those too, just cause I can, lol

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and use

[/URL]

Gets you back on the road faster, most other RTV have like a 24 hour cure time, this bad boy is 90 min, and probably the greatest RTV ever for just about every use imaginable.

They make it in an aerosol can too, which is waaaaayyyy easier to apply, but is pricier, and has a tendency to get all jammed up bad over time, like all other RTV, lol. Im talking like, great for first day of use, then you come back weeks later and its a bit fuxed, kinda deal.

You'd be sealing the case halves, and the shift tower. Theres three external bolts that thread into the input shaft rear bearing, through the case. They actually have a raised ring on the clamping face that seals into a corresponding groove on the trans case. Really cool stuff actually. I do put a lil bit of RTV on those too, just cause I can, lol
You think I aughta use the red, high temp?
Tranny shouldn't get suuuuper warm, should it?

Also, I found a used transmission off of a 14' with 89k ish miles for 300$
The catch, it's in Ohio.
You all think it's a good idea to grab that and work on it out of the car?
That way when time to swap comes, it'll be a straight swap?
Also, who wants to buy my old trans afterwards for their build? Lol

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
You think I aughta use the red, high temp?
Tranny shouldn't get suuuuper warm, should it?

Also, I found a used transmission off of a 14' with 89k ish miles for 300$
The catch, it's in Ohio.
You all think it's a good idea to grab that and work on it out of the car?
That way when time to swap comes, it'll be a straight swap?
Also, who wants to buy my old trans afterwards for their build? Lol
I linked the product for a few reasons. Im not just willy nilly throwing **** out there. I may have done this a few times...

Maybe the ohio trans is beat up, maybe yours is trash. You wont know until you crack it open.

I know a guy with pretty good gear stacks and good shift forks. If you need to get some.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: spare tranny acquired, will be taking apart this weekend for assessment.

Added a video to the symptoms post, it's getting slowly worse and you can hear a clicking when I really yank on it now.
The car is parked now unless absolutely necessary to move.

Probably going to order the LSD and Synchros this weekend if the guy buying all 12 of my wheels shows up.

Going to post up my GFB DVX for sale later this evening hopefully.

Funfun!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, trans is torn apart.
Duece is right, don't question duece, duece knows all.....
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive exterior

Working on it out of the car and taking my time is pretty cool. Getting to figure out how stuff works apart from the diagrams I've been looking over.

Shift forks look good to you all?
All the pads are still firmly attached and minimally worn.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Shotgun

Bumper Gas Auto part Machine Metal

Gear stacks have little notches in them. I'm hoping that's an OEM machining feature and not gears chipping out.
Automotive tire Gear Material property Rim Automotive wheel system

White Light Office supplies Material property Tints and shades

Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Automotive tire Lens

Artifact Wood Sword Gas Household hardware

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
Ok, trans is torn apart.
Duece is right, don't question duece, duece knows all.....
View attachment 398079
Working on it out of the car and taking my time is pretty cool. Getting to figure out how stuff works apart from the diagrams I've been looking over.

Shift forks look good to you all?
All the pads are still firmly attached and minimally worn.
View attachment 398077

View attachment 398078

Gear stacks have little notches in them. I'm hoping that's an OEM machining feature and not gears chipping out.
View attachment 398080

View attachment 398081

View attachment 398083

View attachment 398084
That machining is normal. No worries there.

Wheres the diff/case carnage? Lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts