Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Blow turbo seals ? Engine toast ???

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Lancer52411 
#1 ·
Hey guys looking for some second opinions before i do anything.

Sunday night while attempting to pull out of a neighborhood i notice the cars not going anywhere, initially expected the clutch finally bit the dust (110K miles) But it felt a little off so i start looking over my gauges, coolant temp and oil temp gauges are pegged hot. Once i got to speed both came down to the 3/4 hot marks. Decided if it stayed there i could limp it home since it was late at night and traffic was light. So i turn the heat on full blast to try and help it cool and notice my vents blow ice cold, ok i figured thermostat stuck shut and overheating ? Shortly after i noticed the passenger side vents were blowing hot, this threw me for a loop. So i get home, start googling and see possible shutter issue so i look and on my intercooler it looked like half the shutters were shut while the other side was open thus it had blocked airflow and overheated. With the wacky heat vents i expected the worse, warped head/blown headgasket and loosing coolant causing the cold vents.

So the following morning i go outside, oddly the degas bottle looked to have some coolant in it ? Pull the oil fill cap and its clean, pull the dipstick and its barley on the stick. So i start the car, idles pretty much spot on but smokes like crazy, thick white, like james bond smoke screen stuff. Initially figured coolant and the head issue etc. It was an odd one i've never experience, smelt exactly like burning paper. So im puzzled, still leaning on the head gasket theory. Put the car on the hoist and drain the oil expecting a milkshake. It looks normal, just dark as it was about time for a change. No signs of coolant in the oil at all. So i start looking at the turbo, i almost want to say i could see what looks like possible coolant on the outside of the housing, but its yellow/green and the oem stuff looks to be orange so i'm unsure. There is an odd stain on the frame rail too but that looks to have come from the engine mount. I'll attach some photos to this post as well.

So i'm hoping best case turbo seals and its blowing everything into the exhaust. But would it be hot enough to smoke within seconds of starting ? If not the turbo i'm expecting the worst.... What does everyone think ? Auto part Automotive wheel system Pipe Wheel Metal
Auto part
Auto part Metal
Auto part Pipe Fuel line
Food Cuisine Lekvar Hoisin sauce
Auto part Muffler

See less See more
#4 ·
Thats interesting, if it was smoking without overheating i'd feel fairly confident on turbo issues. its obviously consuming oil but i'm questioning the overheating. I still need to take a closer look at that degas bottle, i'd think to have gotten so hot it'd of lost enough coolant to no longer touch the degas bottle once cooled down.

#9 ·
I think you guys are just seeing air in the oil, it's been sitting over 24 hrs and looks normal smells normal, no pieces, no separation of fluids or anything. While putting the stock intake back on I noticed either a wrapped hose or wire loom just under the coolant hoses where they enter the firewall wet with coolant. I pulled the hose right off the turbo as well as the one right off the steel pipe that runs along the oil pan and neither were soaked. Haven't checked the exhaust side but looking in the exhaust from my tail pipe it was deff wet the other day

#10 ·
Looks like your passenger side engine mount is toast - separate issue.

That mount has a liquid filling for NVH mitigation; kind of like a shock absorber. It looks like its leaking quite a bit.

Hope that helps,
Mark

#12 ·
Guess I'll compression test next.

This is going to sound stupid but what's the procedure for compression testing these newer cars ? Unplug the coils and push the button lol? How long will it crank for per push ? Anyone know if anyone's done s write up ? Most of my wrenching days were on older simpler vehicles

#15 ·
Thanks for the links, if I have time I'll do the compression test tomorrow. Side note while looking at the pita it'd be to check the exhaust side of the turbo I noticed the catalytic converter to resonator connection is basically dripping wet, absolutely soaked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.