Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todd, is there a particular wrench and tube that you find works best on the Wilwoods? When I did the initial install, I didn't have a 1/4" wrench on hand. I ended up using pliers on the bleeder (I know, I know). Since then I got a hold of a 1/4 box wrench. But, the edge sticks up a little too far and gets in the way of the silicone IV tube I use to drain the fluid. I was thinking about grinding down some of the wrench to make it lower profile. But, I figured I ask first.

·
Super Moderator
7,109 Posts
Todd, is there a particular wrench and tube that you find works best on the Wilwoods? When I did the initial install, I didn't have a 1/4" wrench on hand. I ended up using pliers on the bleeder (I know, I know). Since then I got a hold of a 1/4 box wrench. But, the edge sticks up a little too far and gets in the way of the silicone IV tube I use to drain the fluid. I was thinking about grinding down some of the wrench to make it lower profile. But, I figured I ask first.
Yeah really, Im going to take a grinder to one of my 1/4 inch box wrenches. Dedicated Bleeder Wrench.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My Snap-on fits it fine. Probably lower profile.

Bleeder bottle is all I have used for 30yrs now.

3139-2010.JPG

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got a huge assortment of metric tools but I'm not holding many on the SAE side due to the fact that other than collector bolts I don't really have a need for them. I had to borrow a 1/4 inch wrench from my neighbor for the bleeder screw and this was after I already did a run to Sears for the 12 point 7/16 socket needed for the caliper to bracket bolts... I had a 6 point socket but she no workee.

As for the bleeder tube, I had to upgrade to a aquarium air hose since all my "normal" bleeder hoses and adapters I use with my mighty Vac were too big to seal properly.

-Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,109 Posts
I've got a huge assortment of metric tools but I'm not holding many on the SAE side due to the fact that other than collector bolts I don't really have a need for them. I had to borrow a 1/4 inch wrench from my neighbor for the bleeder screw and this was after I already did a run to Sears for the 12 point 7/16 socket needed for the caliper to bracket bolts... I had a 6 point socket but she no workee.

As for the bleeder tube, I had to upgrade to a aquarium air hose since all my "normal" bleeder hoses and adapters I use with my mighty Vac were too big to seal properly.

-Scott
Yeah the 1/4 wrench and tiny tubing is a must. After helping grindMarc with his Wilwood fronts, I am all too aware of what I need to do to make a nice wilwood bleeder kit of sorts.

What's with you guys not having standard tools? Lmao.

I just placed my order for the Wilwood fronts and that nice Pegasus racing bleeder bottle Todd posted above. I will be stepping the tubing down a size or two for the tiny bleeders. I have a plan. It should all work out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Haha!

Don't get me started....even the calipers are a mixed bag of Metric and Imperial.

Brass fittings M10
Brass fittings new 1/8npt
Bleeder nipples 1/4-28
Body bolts 5/16-24
Cross over tubes (old) M10

Thankfully we've moved from the M12 knuckle hole with reducer bushing for 7/16-24 bolts.

They discovered metric taps...*This is one I harped on for years and finally they listened. In reality; it cheaper to make the bracket threaded M12 whatever, pay .65c more for the metric bolt than to machine up these reducer bushings for $3.20ea that get lost, crushed in shipping, forgotten at install, pick one.

Bushings.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts