Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread on music, where I have experience playing/teaching/recording and perhaps can give a bit back to this great community. Even if you aren't a musician, everyone loves music and has something interesting to share. But hopefully we can also have heady discussions and learn from one another. So all questions and opinions are welcome, everyone can contribute whatever and whenever. I listen to a lot of old music but as a guitarist I like virtuosity and these guys are some of my recent favs:

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Classic grunge, haven't heard Lake of Fire in probably decades!
I liked Curt Kirkwood's tone best when he was using Soldano amps. But they are pretty expensive ($3-4K) as one of the first boutique builds. If you want a decent cheap alternative, Mike Soldano designed the T50c and T100c for Yamaha before launching his own line of amps. They can be had for about $500 and if you upgrade to an evidence audio speaker cable and/or a closed speaker cab, the cleans sound crisp and clear and the drive saturation is thick and juicy but maintains good chord clarity. That's what I've done w/ my t50c and it's a keeper.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
They've got some nice bounce.
Gotta love Swedish Punk. Don't know what it is I like so much about it :wink:

This was their first 'hit' back when MTV still played music.. lol
They broke-up and did a reunion and couple albums around 2002ish.

Have you ever seen anyone use a belt around the waist to hold the guitar?

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see you're BB King, and raise you some Link Wray :money:
Love Link Wray, I teach The Rumble to a lot of beginners, not many chords and it's all about attitude. I play Apache every now and again as an instrumental interlude while the singer takes a whiz.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Love Link Wray, I teach The Rumble to a lot of beginners, not many chords and it's all about attitude. I play Apache every now and again as an instrumental interlude while the singer takes a whiz.
It's a shame that Link Wray has been passed-up for the 'R & R hall of Fame' so many times.
That show's just what credibility they have.. (zero in my book).

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a shame that Link Wray has been passed-up for the 'R & R hall of Fame' so many times.
That show's just what credibility they have.. (zero in my book).
R&R HOF is a joke, as much as I like Public Enemy and Tupac it's not rock. Bands like the Cars, Priest and Maiden deserve to be in there before newer bands like Pearl Jam, I bet Eddie would agree. As usual it's idiots in charge. Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech was hilarious.

It's hard to compare Link Wray to BB, both great but different genre. If someone said BB to me, I'd immediately think Albert:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree Rap /hip-hop has no place in ROCK and ROLL.
It's NOT music. IF anything it should be categorized as Spoken Word/ poetry.
Music is like Candy, you discard the wrapper lol :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one Albert King song we cover..
That is a great, funky version of that tune, one of my favs too! I always listened to the old Staxx version that was given to me by a blind sax/singer named Ted:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I agree Rap /hip-hop has no place in ROCK and ROLL.
It's NOT music. IF anything it should be categorized as Spoken Word/ poetry.
Music is like Candy, you discard the wrapper lol :smile:
There's plenty of rap out there that I'd consider more musical than Green Day, a band that I'm still amazed got inducted as I don't think a single thing they did was really groundbreaking or noteworthy (I mean, they helped bring pop punk to the mainstream but so did The Offspring who have been doing the same thing for longer). Besides, some would say there's no real objective criteria that can define what is and is not music...

But yeah, it's hard to call it the Rock & Roll HOF when you've got artists like Madonna and NWA in there.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Blackula's Music Thread, Gear Chat & Video Share

There's plenty of rap out there that I'd consider more musical than Green Day, a band that I'm still amazed got inducted as I don't think a single thing they did was really groundbreaking or noteworthy (I mean, they helped bring pop punk to the mainstream but so did The Offspring who have been doing the same thing for longer). Besides, some would say there's no real objective criteria that can define what is and is not music...

But yeah, it's hard to call it the Rock & Roll HOF when you've got artists like Madonna and NWA in there.
I liked Dookie for a week when I was in 7th or 8th grade, but now I wouldn't pay to see or hear them, don't want to encourage them to keep performing, but I wouldn't throw tomatoes at them if given a free ticket and basket of produce. That said my gf is going to see them without me :p A female composer whose music I didn't particularly like defined music in a way I found acceptably broad and inclusive: "Music is sound organized in a way to communicate something about what it means to be alive as a human."

There are criteria for the classification of music as rock n roll, that I'm sure the powers that be have never studied, but not the least important is the incorporation of the blues.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 170 Posts