Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Official Blackstone Oil Analysis Thread

Figured I'd just get one combined thread for everyone to post their oil analysis so we can all compare (whether Blackstone or something else).

Vehicle: 45,815
Interval: 5,661
Oil Type: Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 (I get mine changed at the dealer, not sure why they used 20 instead of 30 but Blackstone said it's fairly common. I work for one of the Big 3 and talked to some powertrain guys, not gonna hurt a thing)
Issues/concerns: None
Recommendation: Warm up the car more before changing the oil to burn off cold start fuel, 7,500 change interval

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just be aware that 5w-30 is full synthetic. So if they are charging you the same for both oils, you get more for your money with the 5w-30.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know I had my own post too but if we're putting together a combined I'll add it here.
25,000 miles on the car, 8,500 miles on this oil
No catch can installed currently, and I've been running a tune beginning at Cobb OTS Stage 2 since about 10k or so I think.
132078d1465609906-blackstone-oil-analysis-1465609867971.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Completely stock; first oil change. BS nailed it on the head; I didn't let the oil warm up for more than a minute or two before I took the sample. Also it looks like the dealer prepped it with 5W-20, those bastards.

View attachment 138610

·
Registered
485 Posts
First two changes were Penz Platinum 5w-30, last two Castrol GTX 0w-40. Doing a 10k interval on this oil change since the oil can handle it.

Oilreport.png

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keeping this alive!

Just got report #2 back. 8,000miles for the interval this time with a bunch of spirited driving. I understand most people not immediately wanting to go with OEM oil but being an auto engineer, knowing how they test their engines (on the OEM fluids), and reports like these make me not want to spend any extra money lol.

Wasn't going to go 10k miles on this change since I knocked over an open bottle on my driveway and had to put half a quart of the used stuff back in to get it on the dipstick until the dealer opened (did it on a holiday).

Take a look. Feel free to comment. And let's get more data!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just requested a UOA sample kit from Blackstone. Going to be the first UOA I've ever had done for any car I've owned so I'm quite excited. This will be my third oil change since owning the car, and I've always used Rotella T6 which is a full synthetic 5w40. Very interested to see the results because I know a lot of people are skeptical of using a "diesel" oil and the fact that it's 5-40 instead of the 5-30 that Ford recommends. I'm running this fill to a 7500 interval. Hopefully I can put all the myths and misconceptions to bed, and provide proof that T6 is a good oil for this platform

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I had never heard of this oil analysis before, but think it's really cool, and want to get it done, and am recommending it to a friend who owns two sonic blue Lightnings.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've had these done with other vehicles many times. gives some good info and piece of mind.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, at just under 3K miles, I (the dealer) changed the oil for the first time. Not sure if I should worry about the high metal content or not, but we'll see how this plays out.

Here's the report back on its condition -

OilTest_1.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Here's mine. 5,000 on this oil and 6,000 total on engine. Excellent report. I chose 5,000 for the first oil change just so I could do this test and get a baseline established. BS recommended 7,000 next time just to see where we're headed, but I have another buddy in the oil tech industry that said easily 10,000 with these numbers; which jives with what some of you guys are also posting. FWIW, you guys should also be getting TAN. TBN alone does not paint the whole picture and I'm surprised BS doesn't push this. TAN needs to be lower than TBN. TBN decreases with wear/time, and TAN increases with wear/time/temperature. Thus where these two cross paths is a point where the oil has an extremely reduced capacity to provide corrosive protection. If TAN is equal to or greater than TBN, that oil is D-O-N-E. Notice the huge spread between the two on mine...very good...

This is just more solid evidence (and not the Saturday forum expert opinion) that 3,000 mile oil changes are not cheap insurance or anything else you claim it does for you. 3,000 mile oil changes on a new engine accomplish two things and two things only...waste money and waste resources. But...to each his own!

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bit of an old thread, but this should be even more relevant now that there's a lot more higher mileage engines out there. My first report at 90k+ miles came back good. Looking back through this thread, it seems like up to ~1% fuel dilution is normal. Even on new engines.

View attachment 13 FOCUS-190214.pdf

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I got mine tested at 75k running Valvoline Modern Engine 5w-30.

The report said I changed the oil to soon... I had 8k on that oil and normally run for 8k. so now I plan to run 10k. I don't want to go through the troubles of posting tech sheet because I don't want to edit all my personal information off the sheet. but basically just stated the engine and oil is in good shape.

I have a new sample bottle and plan to ship it in at 10k interval which will be at 85k on the car/engine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts