Ford Focus ST Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Was bored this week so ordered some of this Sunday night, it came Wednesday, and yesterday I added about 2lbs to the trunk. Wasn’t expecting much but wow can I tell the difference.

Borla is not known to drone and I love it, but there was some that, while I might enjoy, a more sensitive passenger might not. This definitely cut it down a little to where someone that does not own one of these cars might believe it’s stock. From in the cabin, a little less raw but sounds solid.

Better still less bump noises from the back, and I think along with the polyfil I stuffed in the stock sub box, the bass is pretty good for us “maturing adults.” I had aftermarket stereos and subs before and was not thrilled with the Sony system when I got the car, but now I have to almost trade listening to music with listening to the exhaust, and I’m happy with having that option. As always ymmv, but at $15 (half a $30 box), I highly recommend.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Was bored this week so ordered some of this Sunday night, it came Wednesday, and yesterday I added about 2lbs to the trunk. Wasn’t expecting much but wow can I tell the difference.

Borla is not known to drone and I love it, but there was some that, while I might enjoy, a more sensitive passenger might not. This definitely cut it down a little to where someone that does not own one of these cars might believe it’s stock. From in the cabin, a little less raw but sounds solid.

Better still less bump noises from the back, and I think along with the polyfil I stuffed in the stock sub box, the bass is pretty good for us “maturing adults.” I had aftermarket stereos and subs before and was not thrilled with the Sony system when I got the car, but now I have to almost trade listening to music with listening to the exhaust, and I’m happy with having that option. As always ymmv, but at $15 (half a $30 box), I highly recommend.

Before:

After:
nice, get any on the hatch itself? Both of those together helps the tin can sound from the rear and helps the sub response. I didnt really notice much outside noises getting quieter but interior rattle and tin can noises improved. I just did the four doors too, maybe like 40% coverage using the left over sheets i had from the hatch. Again, better interior help but not so much outside noise surpression. Doors closing sound much more satisfying

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
nice, get any on the hatch itself? Both of those together helps the tin can sound from the rear and helps the sub response. I didnt really notice much outside noises getting quieter but interior rattle and tin can noises improved. I just did the four doors too, maybe like 40% coverage using the left over sheets i had from the hatch. Again, better interior help but not so much outside noise surpression. Doors closing sound much more satisfying
I didn't put any on the hatch, just the floor of the trunk surprised me with the effect. Maybe I'll try that later, I have enough leftover. As is my slow way, will drive it for awhile before going further.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
as with my slow way, will drive it for awhile before going further.
took me over a year of sitting on my extra sheets to do the doors but I knocked it out over an evening on Monday. So i know all about the slow ways :LOL: The panels come off easy enough and just tricky fitting in some of the spaces. I just did the tap test, anything that sounded super hollow got a good sized piece laid down. To my surprise, ford actually had a strip of similar foil backed stuff in each door (maybe like 3x8" in the center.) Thinner stuff than i had and was starting to lift a bit on the edges (probably wasnt rolled on lol.)

Although now i am reading about speaker swapping, seems like its a noticeable improvement and two sets of decent components can be had for about $200.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Installed an RF Punch shallow 8” and noticed a big difference. Think I need to order the $20 grill after looking at the stock one and deciding it seemed like a pain in the ass to get off the OEM junk. Got some Infinity Primus speakers for the front on the way but already it’s like I have a new stereo.

Edit: grill installed

·
Registered
666 Posts
Installed an RF Punch shallow 8” and noticed a big difference. Think I need to order the $20 grill after looking at the stock one and deciding it seemed like a pain in the ass to get off the OEM junk. Got some Infinity Primus speakers for the front on the way but already it’s like I have a new stereo.

Edit: grill installed
Is that sub DVC or did you just use one channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
grill installed
So this is just running straight off the normal sony amp and in the stock box? And its an improvement? interesting... ive been wanting to do the speaker only swap in the doors but didnt know the sub swap was an upgrade too without doing an amp

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
So this is just running straight off the normal sony amp and in the stock box? And its an improvement? interesting... ive been wanting to do the speaker only swap in the doors but didnt know the sub swap was an upgrade too without doing an amp
IMHO it sounds better - tighter and fuller, and things seem on the verge of rattle at 75% volume. I do not recall feeling that way about the stock sub, and at ~ $120 new open box, it was worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Bit behind on thread updates, swapped the front speakers about a month ago, great improvement. Cut the stock speakers out of the mounting rings to use with Infinity Primus 6510 components:

Some hot glue to keep things rattle-free:

And some fried green tomatoes, okra, and grits:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sweet grits, or savory grits?

·
Super Moderator
9,049 Posts
Sweet grits, or savory grits?
I just made grits in the microwave like a savage. Spooned in some of the pesto i made a yesterday, and some sliced portabellos. Very quick and easy, one dish meal ftw!!!

Savory is how I make them, not sure how Blackula rolls.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts