Ford Focus ST Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
WP_20170611_16_14_41_Rich.jpg

Put a new boot on, along with the E-brake. Thread isn't exactly the right color, but I bought them second hand a long time ago. I also broke the reverse lockout collar ... so I think I will be taking it back apart as soon as the replacement comes anyway. The color doesn't really bother me, but what I didn't realize is how crappy the stock boot is when compared to some nice leather. Also, the leather is too thick to fit properly underneath the collar so it has the silly bulge form being zip tied ... but whatever, I like it. One day I'll get one fancier with the right color, but it works for now!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Steeda Clutch Spring Short Review

Since I had my clutch spring out for some time now, once I saw Steeda released a new spring, I decided to give it a shot!

Install!
WP_20170622_17_48_10_Rich.jpg
WP_20170622_18_27_20_Rich.jpg
WP_20170622_18_21_47_Rich.jpg
WP_20170622_18_23_21_Rich.jpg
WP_20170622_18_35_49_Rich.jpg

I've driven for about a mile or two on it. I really like it! It feels more OE than no spring at all, without losing the feel in the shifter (EDIT: pedal, not shifter). There is a lot of confidence in the pedal. The only thing I don't like is how squishy the pedal is at the top. I think when the spring was out, the pedal didn't return all the way forward (and although it had a little squish) and it felt much more solid. The pedal definitely seems lifted higher, so I wonder if this spring isn't strong enough to keep the pedal tight at the top. Whatever, the purpose of this is feedback while shifting right? Well feedback is good, and I am certainly enjoying it!

Install was pretty easy. I already had the spring out, so I could scratch that step. Opened up my brand new bench vice for this job, didn't bother installing it on the table at it is plenty heavy. I wrapped a nylon strap around the perch since I didn't want to beat up my hands on those little knubbs. Pulled straight up, perch released without a fuss. Reinstallation onto the clutch pedal was the trickiest. It was all greasy so it was a slip and slide. Overall, still took less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well as some of you know (I posted in what did you do to your ST today earlier this month) that I got into a pretty good accident. Well, by accident, I of course mean that I crashed into a guardrail. Here are the photos:

WP_20170809_08_31_26_Rich.jpg
WP_20170809_09_42_34_Rich.jpg
WP_20170809_08_31_55_Rich.jpg
WP_20170809_08_56_16_Rich.jpg

Figured I'd best actually post about it for record keeping ... So the accident itself. Too fast, too corner ... wet morning grass, torque vector induced slide when attempting to get back on the road, then hello guardrail! Kept me from plunging 25-50 feet into the creek which the road follows. Also, I didn't even spill my tea ... the car and guardrail crumpled flawlessly. No airbag deployment. No injuries, not even sore the next day. Ego was pretty bruised, this was a normal route that I've taken hundreds of times. Not sure why I went too fast or how I ended up wide out of the corner. Probably just took it weird, because I never never never cross the double yellow in cornering on this road. So I am guessing too fast, with no available runoff being already in the right lane. Also, not sure if I had time to correct, everything happened so fast. I'd like to think I had time and just froze, but I can't say. The rotation was sudden, caught me off guard, and before I knew it I was knocking over mailboxes... I was able to move the car (felt normal driving) out of harms way. I was going to drive it into work, but then no power steering available.

So, its been at the Ford shop since 8/9. The repair estimate is up to $9230.

Good news, I have good insurance, so I am only out $400 (and $130 for the citation ..). Other good news, I am getting both front wheels refinished (one had some nasty previous road rash, yay!), and both front fenders are getting repaired (one had an OLD dent which is getting taken care of simultaneously, yay!). Also, I am getting a new mountune intercooler and front splitter, which is especially nice for the splitter since I bought it used from here LOL. Obviously, I will be glad to have a brand new bumper and headlights, as I had some bugs and grit that have been permanent residents! So what else? This:

Steering gear assembly
Control Arm
Cross member
Tie rod
Crash bar
Splash guard
and all the hardware one could desire.

The list was three pages, so this isn't everything else, but those are the big ones aside from what I've already mentioned. Had one small scare ... Ford was planning on getting both front wheels refinished (even though the one side was barely even scratched and I thought it was old and told them as much). So they send both wheels off and got the lesser of the two finished first and installed back on the car. Along comes insurance saying they aren't paying for two wheels. So Ford calls me up, and asks if I want to pay for the other wheel ... the one that was badly rashed from the crash. After a long pause, I said I'd call them back ... I wanted them to think about what they did. Well it worked, I got a call later that day saying "...I shouldn't have even called you..." and that they were going to take care of it for me. This is why I use this particular shop/dealership, they are good people.

So where do I stand now? I got an update from Ford Monday afternoon. All the suspension work is done, and the car is in the paint booth now. Most of the long wait has been mountune not shipping in a timely manner. I think they still need to install some parts, but I am hoping to get it back this week!!! I am going to give it a grand shakedown once I take possession and really make sure everything is good on Saturday. I will update after that. Well, I don't really know what else to say about it ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad you are o.k.. These things happen very quickly. Decades ago I did a similar stunt. Driving too fast on a twisty road. Car pulled out in front of me. I ended up rolling backwards in the opposite lane and came to rest in the weeds. Only damage was to my ego!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I'm back baby!!!!!

WP_20170912_18_39_10_Rich.jpg
WP_20170912_18_36_44_Rich.jpg
WP_20170912_18_36_36_Rich.jpg
WP_20170912_18_36_08_Rich.jpg
WP_20170912_19_21_50_Rich.jpg
WP_20170912_18_45_44_Rich.jpg

So the final bill in damages: $10,134.03 ... its nice I have good insurance!

Couple things about the dealer I went to for the repair work. First, they went to bat for me on the little stuff and took care of me every chance they could. They gave me the front license plate bracket instead of just installing it which was fantastic! They even went so far as to paint the mountune logo onto the intercooler for me, because they WANTED to. So far the only thing I have been able to find which is wrong is that they didn't replace the lower grill insert. Which we talked about already. I actually just might leave it that way, but I haven't decided. There is also a spot where the headlight and bumper don't line up really well ... which I am going to open up and take a look at later. Beyond that, the car felt great. Hard to get a real judgement because I almost feel like I am starting from scratch with driving it ... I had suffered a wildly inferior Malibu for a month, then had a fun and spunky Cooper S. Obviously, neither of which prepared me well to get back behind the wheel of the ST. Having said that, engine feels and sounds fine which really wasn't a worry. I kinda get a pull to the right, but I haven't been able to decide if its just bad roads sloping and not being used to the sticky tires and tight suspension. I did have parts on the right side suspension replaced so.... If it is a pull, its barely JUST barely. All in all, I am just over the moon to have my baby back!

PS, got a CF Ford shift knob from @FoCuSTar27 as an apology to the car.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Funny story .. I discovered Ford got the washer fluid messed up somehow. I haven't looked to see how the system works yet, but when I pull back on the stick the rear fluid flies and front wipers wipe :doh:

In other news ... I put money down FINALLY for a catted downpipe! Mountune, BNIB, not a better deal on the planet! Going to do an install party in October as the seller is getting my EFocus mount in the bargain. But finally ... getting back to work on the exhaust!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Figured I'd best actually post about it for record keeping ... So the accident itself. Too fast, too corner ... wet morning grass, torque vector induced slide when attempting to get back on the road, then hello guardrail! Kept me from plunging 25-50 feet into the creek which the road follows. Also, I didn't even spill my tea ... the car and guardrail crumpled flawlessly. No airbag deployment. No injuries, not even sore the next day. Ego was pretty bruised, this was a normal route that I've taken hundreds of times. Not sure why I went too fast or how I ended up wide out of the corner. Probably just took it weird, because I never never never cross the double yellow in cornering on this road. So I am guessing too fast, with no available runoff being already in the right lane. Also, not sure if I had time to correct, everything happened so fast. I'd like to think I had time and just froze, but I can't say. The rotation was sudden, caught me off guard, and before I knew it I was knocking over mailboxes... I was able to move the car (felt normal driving) out of harms way. I was going to drive it into work, but then no power steering available.
Are you on stock rear sway bar?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am, front and back actually.
I have experienced the sudden snap over steer that you CAN NOT get out of! You might want to try an after market rear sway bar to help it be more predictable and controllable

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
I have experienced the sudden snap over steer that you CAN NOT get out of! You might want to try an after market rear sway bar to help it be more predictable and controllable
I think it probably had more to do with having all four tires in wet morning grass on Pilot Super Sports, while trying to avoid a telephone pole and brick wall...

EDIT: I will say this, on the F1s pre-lower stress bar, handling could be a bit unpredictable, however now it feels amazing. This is why I really feel it was the torque vectoring that caused the sudden rotation, since there was no friction to stop it (being on wet grass not pavement) once the computer started the braking procedure.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
WP_20171001_16_33_25_Rich.jpg
Well this is interesting ... open to the hood to start fiddling ... and see a big white M under my throttle body. Well that wasn't there before! I don't remember getting mtune charge pipes... Yes, that's right, apparently Ford did that :) ... LOL. Most people get on here and complain about their dealership, and I am getting free Ford Performance (mountune) upgrades! Turns out that it is only the soft pipes which connect directly to the intercooler. After conferring with mountune about the availability of the final soft pipe, it was confirmed they come to mountune in kits, therefore not available separately (they were going to see if they had any loose anyway for me). Got to the dealership today to fix a panel alignment issue and hilarious wiper fluid glitch, and mentioned it to my collision guy. He said he was going to check tomorrow morning with his tech and see if they had any other parts that came with the intercooler (the reason they had charge pipes to begin with) laying around not installed for whatever reason, and if they did they were mine. So, more on that later I'm sure.

WP_20170928_17_24_09_Rich.jpg
Also, got this in the mail. Still haven't heard from the shipper (thru amazon, third party). I didn't want to just do a return because I really needed the oil (I had spare cleaner). M1 Motorsports ... might want to avoid their products on amazon.

WP_20171001_22_32_50_Rich (2).jpg
Here, this is for fun, Project CARS 2.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Love the build progress man, did you notice any difference with the TB and intake spacers?
Butt dyno noticed nothing. However, I didn't ever get a custom tune for it, which you kinda need. Steeda claims numbers (5hp iirc?) on the TB spacer stock, so at $50 for the part, I just left it on. I didn't like how Steeda's remedy for moving the engine cover stud was pretty terrible, so that's part of the reason I sold it.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts