Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
New Center Caps

No major update, just a little one. However more @VelossaTech! Sorry, this time I am ashamed to say, was second hand. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a great product that I want to show off! I had to replace my old stick-on ST center cap badges. I forgot to get a picture, which I'll post up later if I remember. After a year, they just didn't look very good anymore. So, onto a much better quality!

WP_20160910_12_51_51_Pro.jpg

Man that red pops! Pulling the wheels off to install gave me the excuse to clean up the wheel drums a bit lol!
WP_20160910_19_12_00_Pro.jpg

EDIT: Here is what the new caps are replacing. The one that looks really out of sorts was from my testing to see that the adhesive would allow me to remove it from my original caps. You can see how they faded at almost 1 year installed. The speckling is actual color, most of the rest of the red in the photo is reflection from our red walls lol!
OldCaps.jpg

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
So, I removed the intercooler and snorkel for sale. Using that $$ to buy winter tires. So with the exception of my shifter set-up and throttle body spacer, I am pretty much back to stock. Well, I left out the fairings when reinstalling the shutters and old intercooler. And the wing risers. And center caps. And the blue recaros. But APART from that, I am back to stock.

No worries though, I have a plan to mod in a different direction from the ground up in the near future, however I think it may be best if I let this thread go and start on a new one, since I'll basically be starting from scratch. I appreciate the comments and likes, and hope to start posting in "Blackbird v.2" soon!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Woah. Its been a while since I've updated.

I believe I will be moving this to a new thread, just because I've basically started from scratch ... its just might be easier.

Good news though, some parts on are their way. A lot of parts. Some parts are already here ... Just biding my time for a good install day. I also have been working on a project ... and there is also this handheld device... moaoahahahahhah!!

OH! I got married!!!!

WP_20170131_18_28_23_Pro.jpg WP_20170201_17_22_34_Pro.jpg WP_20170131_18_47_12_Pro.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,944 Posts
Woah. Its been a while since I've updated.

I believe I will be moving this to a new thread, just because I've basically started from scratch ... its just might be easier.

Good news though, some parts on are their way. A lot of parts. Some parts are already here ... Just biding my time for a good install day. I also have been working on a project ... and there is also this handheld device... moaoahahahahhah!!

OH! I got married!!!!

View attachment 207001 View attachment 207009 View attachment 207017
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Also, that's cool that you got married. ;)

Reactions: Peregriner

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Also, that's cool that you got married. ;)
Hahahahaha!!! Thank you, I did a little jig when I pulled the trigger on the parts, because its been SO LONG! Fun fact, we can buy mountune parts from a Ford dealership (Lebanon Ford), and since I have a Ford Service Credit Card, I got no interest for a year! They shouldn't have given me such a big credit limit ...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
New life! Blackbird v2.0

Hello ladies and gents, so I was going to start a new thread, and decided against. No point really. So I have lots of photos, and lots to talk about. Let's get to it!

First, a couple photos of the piles of parts! And my helper. Who thought we were coming outside to play. More on that later.
WP_20170217_19_47_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20170218_10_33_05_Pro.jpg

Parts include: mountune intercooler, intake, induction hose, roll restrictor and front splitter. Also, Steeda jacking rails and shorty antenna (not pictured).

Now the fun part, install. I decided to do jacking rails first. I guessed if I put the thing on jacks on the rear of the car, I should be able to get under it enough to do this job. I was right, it wasn't too bad. First issue was the cross member bolts ... I fouled them both on the first side trying to reinsert them. So a trip to Lowe's took a big portion of my day out. So that took about an hour and a half with the trip and the proper application of swear words. The passenger side took about 6 minutes with me being a heck of a lot more careful on the bolts.
WP_20170218_13_34_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20170218_13_33_10_Pro.jpg

This is where the fun begins. Motor mount first. This took me a while because one of the bracket bolts was stubborn. I had a heck of a time getting enough leverage, especially since the only tool that would fit up in there was an end wrench. I got creative, and popped it out. Sorry, I forgot a photo installed, but here it is beforehand.
WP_20170218_14_06_51_Pro.jpg

Next the intercooler! it was starting to get dark now, because I took too much time to do everything else.. The instructions were not very clear when it came to what hardware goes where, so I spent a lot of time digging into what information I had and narrowing down my choices. I had enough info to go on to eventually figure it out. First, I want to say this kit is splendid. I was so happy to see that I didn't have to reuse any of the crappy stock hardware. I was also able to remove the AGS without destroying them this time! I also want to add that this is a two man job, which I did by myself ... my knee was my extra hand, haha! Sorry, I finished the intercooler job after dark, so no pictures of it on the car pre bumper reinstall. I am just as sad as you are, because its such a beautiful work of art!
WP_20170218_14_04_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20170218_16_18_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20170219_18_21_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20170219_18_25_03_Pro.jpg

My helper ... not amused at my lack of ball throwing ...
WP_20170219_18_23_56_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
New life! Blackbird v2.0, Part 2

Finally came the intake. Again, I did this after dark, so all I got were after photos... Also, how about another photo of the spoiler badge. It is quite pretty, and pretty much the reason I chose it over others. Also, I like the subtleness to it.
WP_20170219_18_19_50_Pro.jpg WP_20170219_18_30_43_Pro.jpg WP_20170219_18_31_46_Pro.jpg WP_20170219_18_24_55_Pro.jpg

I can't overstate how impressed I was with the quality of these parts. I knew mountune was pricey because their parts were good, but I was still totally blown away. Love it!

Oh! This is my new current passenger side rear quarter window decal:
WP_20161122_16_41_35_Rich.jpg

So, I suppose you want an update on how the parts do performance wise?

Well, I do have a Cobb V3, so I upped it to the 93 stage 2 OTS map. Obviously, that isn't as big of a jump as stock was to stage 1, but that's OK. This is merely a stop-gap until I get a custom tune later.

The intake cackles at me and I love it. This is mostly because I didn't bother putting the airbox lid back on. I love hearing the blowoff and the turbo now. The motor mount adds NVH, but not enough to be even remotely a problem. I understand too that this will dissipate as the bushing wears in. The car feels so planted and connected now, I love it! Oh, I forgot to mention this, I did install a mountune bypass valve a while back, not a huge deal, but it did happen and I totally forgot about it.

Now all that's left for go-fast are charge pipes and turboback (and custom tune). Soon. This whole ordering mountune through Ford Performance is pretty great when I can get the 0%/12mo financing on my Ford Service card!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Part 3

Here are the installed photos of roll restrictor (RMM). Funny story, got under there to take a photo, and realized that I had installed it upside down. Turns out there really isn't any NVH ... when it is installed correctly. So the drive around the block was all benefit, no drawback! This is why I am falling hard for mountune!
WP_20170221_19_29_44_Pro.jpg WP_20170221_19_28_58_Pro.jpg

Also, here is the shorty antenna, since I didn't post a pick of it either. I know you've all seen them before, but you know how it goes ... "pic or it didn't happen".
WP_20170221_19_43_33_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Roll Restrictor (RMM) Initial Review

So now that the mount is installed correctly, I can accurately talk about its benefits. I will say the most important thing that I've noticed so far is how smooth it is shifting through the gears, especially the early ones. This is most prominent when downshifting, and I love it. This is great for me because with the Breedt short shifter at 40% reduction and 1" forward positioning, it is very clunky. I would say now my shifting feel is in the dream realm and I couldn't be happier!

Also, I threw the airbox back on, and the intake symphony is still nice and audible. Obviously its more muffled now, which I think I prefer being a daily. I suppose I can take it off at Cars'n'Coffee (if I ever get around to going).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Read through your whole build, I have been debating on pulling stuff off and going back to stock and restarting too. Glad to see it really worked out for you! I think Mountune has turbos you can get too!! :haha:

Reactions: Peregriner

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Read through your whole build, I have been debating on pulling stuff off and going back to stock and restarting too. Glad to see it really worked out for you! I think Mountune has turbos you can get too!! :haha:
You bet they do ... but that may be going farther than I want, ha! Still plenty to do though!

How do you choose parts? I want to start modding but I am not sure where to start.
I think the first thing to do is to ask yourself what your goals are and work backwards from there.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Update Time

Some things happened. Its amazing how much it quiets down the vibrations from the RMM. Haven't really had a chance to turn the car loose yet, but I can say I have yet to experience any torque steer!
WP_20170402_19_54_58_Pro.jpg

Got some new wheels too. Personally, I love the stock snowflake, but I always wanted it in Rado ... New Pilot SSs should be going on this week or next, so pictures will come then... not that a TB car with stock wheels is anything to get excited about for you guys, but it will put a big smile on my face!
WP_20170402_14_39_00_Pro.jpg

101 - 120 of 162 Posts