Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I have a brand new of Bilstein B14 coil overs that I am going to be installing in the next few weeks. The only install video I can see in the CJPONY parts st-x coil install video, can I use this video as a guide to install the bilsteins? I will do be doing it on jacks.

*****EDIT***** Please see pictures. I am trying to figure out the correct method of installing. A guy on the bilstein thread put in his with the adjuster on top, but in the all the videos on spring installs suggests otherwise. The writing it also facing up with adjuster on the bottom. Please put in advice!

Thanks guys

Some questions for guys that installed theirs themselves

1. What height did you pre load yours to? Please post a pic if can you are able to.

2. How long did the install take you?

3. Is there anything I should know before hand? This is my first time doing suspension. My only experience working on cars in oil changes, and installed my roush intake, rmm, and intercooler.

4. Which instructions did you use?

5. What tools were a must have for you?

6. I will be installing 20mm spacers all round during this time, are any of you running a similar set up with your coil overs?

Which jack points did you use? I have only used the front for oil change and use the bar across as the stands are only on for about an hour.

Thanks guys 20170329_213325_1490837714342_resized.jpg 20170329_213346_1490837710252_resized.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome, thank you very much!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi guys, I have a brand new of Bilstein B14 coil overs that I am going to be installing in the next few weeks. The only install video I can see in the CJPONY parts st-x coil install video, can I use this video as a guide to install the bilsteins? I will do be doing it on jacks.

Some questions for guys that installed theirs themselves

1. What height did you pre load yours to? Please post a pic if can you are able to.

2. How long did the install take you?

3. Is there anything I should know before hand? This is my first time doing suspension. My only experience working on cars in oil changes, and installed my roush intake, rmm, and intercooler.

4. Which instructions did you use?

5. What tools were a must have for you?

6. I will be installing 20mm spacers all round during this time, are any of you running a similar set up with your coil overs?

Which jack points did you use? I have only used the front for oil change and use the bar across as the stands are only on for about an hour.

Thanks guys
You should definitely have a passthrough socket to remove the swaybar endlink (I think this is what you need it for).

You should be able to use that video to figure out how to install the Bilstein's. You might also consider aftermarket adjustable endlinks (to keep your swaybar ends positioned correctly). You might also need to get rear toe arms and camber arms to get your car back in alignment as the factory ones won't adjust far enough with some coilovers. You will have to watch the rear with spacers to make sure the tires still fit in the wheel wells depending on how low you adjust the coilovers.

You should also plan on getting an alignment afterwards. Not always necessary, but you don't want to find out by ruining your tires.

I haven't done mine yet so I have no idea about how much time it would take. I would estimate 45 minutes-1 hour for each wheel but that is just a guess. I am sure someone can give you some more details. Hope this helps at least a little...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else that is running bilsteins or coils overs?

·
Registered
377 Posts
1: I didnt mess with the preload much on mine, but I have standard BC coilovers. Here's a picture.

2: Installation took about 6-7 hours, including breaks and such. It was my first time installing coilovers. I ran into a couple snags due to light rust, so have WD-40 or PB Blaster handy in case. After doing it once though I could shave quite a bit of time if I had to do it again.

3: Take your time and double check everything is tight before finishing. It's a fairly straightforward installation and the fronts will take longer than the rears as the rears are simple. If you have a 13/14, you can use a 17mm wrench on the fronts instead of a pass through socket.

4: CJ Pony Parts ST-X video and this http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...notes-thoughts-gc-coilovers-koni-yellows.html

5: The tools listed in the video and rubber mallet.

6: No spacers.

7: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/34325-where-do-you-put-jack-stands-your-st.html

I'd recommend getting an alignment after the coilovers settle, and also maybe going back through and making sure everything is still tight as well at that point.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nautical thank you for the great reply

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
so have WD-40 or PB Blaster handy in case. After doing it once though I could shave quite a bit of time if I had to do it again.
I would 10000% recommend this. All previous suspension work I have done I always us liquid wrench, PB blaster etc. I would say spray them 2-3 hours before you want to actually start working. Spray all bolts you know you will need to get loose. Let them sit for 2-3 hours or overnight if you have time. You will be happy you did and your knuckles will thank you as well for not busting them all day getting the bolts off.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Passthrough socket set will be helpful. Haven't installed mine yet, but I bought a passthrough set in anticipation and after looking over the coilovers I'm glad I did. I'm going to install them next weekend most likely, so if you haven't done yours by then I'll try to remember to take notes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump for edit on mage page

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adjuster should be on top.

Thanks for the reply, isnt the writing is vehicle springs always supposed to be right side up?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adjuster should be on top.
Another question for you man, what happens to the stock rubber cushion that comes down from the top? Does the small rubber circle thing on the bilstein adjuster replace that?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Another question for you man, what happens to the stock rubber cushion that comes down from the top? Does the small rubber circle thing on the bilstein adjuster replace that?
I'm not sure what all comes with the Bilsteins, but that plastic piece will sit on top of the adjuster and there may be another piece included to replace the OEM piece on top. You'll likely reuse the OEM rubber piece underneath the spring though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure what all comes with the Bilsteins, but that plastic piece will sit on top of the adjuster and there may be another piece included to replace the OEM piece on top. You'll likely reuse the OEM rubber piece underneath the spring though.
How did you Compress the bump stop? Do we have to cut it?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depending on what you want, i would start conservative on the height settings.

I set mine as high as they would go in the front and 1/4 inch from as low as they would go in the back. That put me at 13.5 inches from center cap to fender all the way around. Dunno what to call it but i basically wanted the car to be level and have minimal wheel gap without looking slammed, suits my needs perfectly.

This is after about 6k miles so they have fully settled.

IMG_20170403_091130.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
The stock rubber disc at the top is replaced by the thin rubber ring that comes with the adjuster. Rubber ring goes in between the adjuster and the metal, and then the blue plastic ring goes between the spring and the collar.

I removed the front OE bump stop completely, and cut the rear bump stop to about 1/3 so that I could reuse the OE dust shield on the rear strut (since it fits over the bump stop to keep it in place). The Bilstein struts have internal bump stops IIRC so you should be fine.

I have mine adjusted all the way down in the rear, and about halfway down in the front. I have about a 1 finger gap all around, I'll get some good side shots later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts