Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has swapped out their Bilstein B14 progressive springs with linear ones? Will that completely throw off the suspension performance due to the shocks not being tuned for those kinds of springs?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
John

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has swapped out their Bilstein B14 progressive springs with linear ones? Will that completely throw off the suspension performance due to the shocks not being tuned for those kinds of springs?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
John
I don't think you could. The MFactory coilovers offer swift for front and rear.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The spring shape is unique to what Bilstein created, and not a standard coilover spring shape. So no.

If it were possible, you would have to machine custom spring seats, and switch to a new tophat. At that point, you would have just bought a brand new coilover system that came with or can run different spring rates. Since the machining alone would set you back over $1000 in labor.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Depending on the diameter of the spring perch, you may be able to, at least for the front. The rear you would have to get a spring perch similar to what ground control offers. The b14 dampers would essetially be like a koni/gc setup without the rebound adjustment. Not sure it would be worth the hassle though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wah wah lol. Looks like fortune may get my business later on

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I would much rather be on the b14 spring rates than the fortune autos if you do any kind of track/auto- x, (ask UnfocusedST as he made the switch from fortune auto). Nothing wrong with them except you cant do jack for the rear rates unless you do custom rear perches, which in turn you'd be better off going with the MFactory's if you are adamant about making the switch.

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
I would much rather be on the b14 spring rates than the fortune autos if you do any kind of track/auto- x, (ask UnfocusedST as he made the switch from fortune auto). Nothing wrong with them except you cant do jack for the rear rates unless you do custom rear perches, which in turn you'd be better off going with the MFactory's if you are adamant about making the switch.
I've been enjoying the MFactory coilovers. You can pretty much do any rate you want front and rear. They use a standard 2.5" coil.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...interesting. thanks for the insight! I thought progressive springs aren't good for track though

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i know, just didn't know if i could swap easily

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just installed my b14s and I can't find anything about preload on these springs. My height adjuster for the front is set halfway and I barely have any preload. If I go any lower the spring would be loose. Does anyone else have this problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts