Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So overnight my car sat with 1/4 tank of 93 in it..winter blend sucks as it is and I often see my "minimum" value hit -1.3 or so on random cylinders under heavy boost...but today on an uphill I gave it the beans a little and saw -5.4, -3.3, -3.2, and -1.2. Needless go say I was pretty spooked. Did it just pull moisture over night with already bad winter blend? Or should I be concerned. This hasn't happened before.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have you driven the car since this happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you driven the car since this happened?

Yeah drove it home to the gas station (best available station in my town) filled up then babied it home and to and back from my girlfriends about 8 miles. Haven't hit boost since the sudden drop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So overnight my car sat with 1/4 tank of 93 in it..winter blend sucks as it is and I often see my "minimum" value hit -1.3 or so on random cylinders under heavy boost...but today on an uphill I gave it the beans a little and saw -5.4, -3.3, -3.2, and -1.2. Needless go say I was pretty spooked. Did it just pull moisture over night with already bad winter blend? Or should I be concerned. This hasn't happened before.
Do you have the Stratified TC(traction control) in your tune? If so, since you were pulling uphill, there is a chance you were spinning and the TC could have kicked in. The way the Stratified TC works is it pulls timing to correct wheel spin.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the Stratified TC(traction control) in your tune? If so, since you were pulling uphill, there is a chance you were spinning and the TC could have kicked in. The way the Stratified TC works is it pulls timing to correct wheel spin.
I still have Cobb TC, but it works the same way so that's feasible. However, I was in 5th gear. Even on these X-ice tires I shouldn't break loose in 5th at 65-70mph (unless racecar).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still have Cobb TC, but it works the same way so that's feasible. However, I was in 5th gear. Even on these X-ice tires I shouldn't break loose in 5th at 65-70mph (unless racecar).
Ah ok, it was just a thought.

Stepping on it in 5th gear is not a good idea unless your shifting up from 4th. To my understanding I would avoid starting a pull in 5th and 6th, those gears are more for Fuel economy and not for pulls. Look up LSPI(Low speed pre ignition) basically if you pull in 5th or 6th your going to be at a low RPM but since boost builds quick you will be at a high load which could lead to LSPI, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

I come from the Mazdaspeed world and I learned that 5th and 6th gears are for cruising only and if you were boosting in those gears it could hurt the engine. Since these engines are very similar I would assume the same on the Focus ST.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you were at 65-70mph in 5th you'd be close to 3k rpm and that's about the lowest you should be when starting a pull in 5th

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ah ok, it was just a thought.

Stepping on it in 5th gear is not a good idea unless your shifting up from 4th. To my understanding I would avoid starting a pull in 5th and 6th, those gears are more for Fuel economy and not for pulls. Look up LSPI(Low speed pre ignition) basically if you pull in 5th or 6th your going to be at a low RPM but since boost builds quick you will be at a high load which could lead to LSPI, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

I come from the Mazdaspeed world and I learned that 5th and 6th gears are for cruising only and if you were boosting in those gears it could hurt the engine. Since these engines are very similar I would assume the same on the Focus ST.
If you were at 65-70mph in 5th you'd be close to 3k rpm and that's about the lowest you should be when starting a pull in 5th

Guys I'm not new to this and know all about all of this lol. Been over this topic dozens of times. I didn't mash on it, it was gradual. I wouldn't mash it uphill anyway.

Back to the topic at hand please.

Also, I was probably going faster than 70 if we're being honest...it was a spirited situation. I know I was because I even said "4th would put me above 5k so I'd have to shift anyway." When the situation came about.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you log it?
That's a negative, don't you have to be datalogging at the time of the event to have it "logged?" Or have I been misunderstanding how the logging works? I assumed you have to "start datalogging" and then have negative corrections while it's running to have them logged.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Do a few logs on your way to work?
(Its looooog it's its loooooog, its big its hard its wood; Everybody loves the log.)
-Ren&Stimpy :haha:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do a few logs on your way to work?
(Its looooog it's its loooooog, its big its hard its wood; Everybody loves the log.)
-Ren&Stimpy :haha:
Sounds like a plan on the way home as long as I remember and the rain stops. I need to update my AP firmware anyway so it'll give me an excuse to take my AP inside and upload the logs. Preferred method of posting logs here on the forum? I haven't yet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Guys I'm not new to this and know all about all of this lol. Been over this topic dozens of times. I didn't mash on it, it was gradual. I wouldn't mash it uphill anyway.

Back to the topic at hand please.

Also, I was probably going faster than 70 if we're being honest...it was a spirited situation. I know I was because I even said "4th would put me above 5k so I'd have to shift anyway." When the situation came about.
Just trying to help narrow it down for you in order to find the culprit

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just trying to help narrow it down for you in order to find the culprit

It's cool, I should have specified more with my original post. I'm against LPSI as much as the next guy. Appreciate the look out none-the-less.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
you're right. good practice to log spirited driving events and races tho

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you're right. good practice to log spirited driving events and races tho
With this crap they call winter fuel I'll be doing so more frequently if I think about it before hand. Tired of giving it a little zest and looking over to see negative corrections out the azz.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy $$$ batman! Yeah that would be only in emergency level fuel situations for me. I throw my car into "Eco/Limp Mode" when I get garbage gas so I don't go over 15 psi (which is still a lot...but not nearly as rough as boosting 23 psi with garbage gas)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you tried talking to one of the Stratified guys? I recall Bugasu stating he runs a hypersensitive tune that throws large negative corrections where other tunes might throw small corrections. Could just be the setup of the tune.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you tried talking to one of the Stratified guys? I recall Bugasu stating he runs a hypersensitive tune that throws large negative corrections where other tunes might throw small corrections. Could just be the setup of the tune.
I haven't because I didn't purchase log reviews due to budget being tight. I feel like it were this then I would have them often, and other than seeing -3 on one cylinder one time ever this is the first time in about 2 months that I've seen this happen. And I drive spirited often, and commute 60-80 miles a day.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts