Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you get your ST to start making some serious power, now all you have to do it put it to the ground, right? Here are some tires we have tried and how we rate them

#1 Nitto NT01

So far the best DOT tire is the Nitto NT01 great handling, excellent grip, not so great on mileage about 3 to 4 k with track days. This tire has very good input at the edge and stays planted to the ground very well. Extreme summer tire Price range $1000.00 Installed

#2 Hankook RS3 V2

This was a bit of a challenge between the BF Goodrich rival and the Hankook RS3 Version 2 both extreme summer tires, I will have to give it to the Hankook RS3 Version2 , it just sticks better even cold , good input, according to Hankook it should outlast the Rival's will see! Price range $700 to $800 Installed

#3 BFG Rival

BF Goodrich Rival's Extreme summer 2 , overall it's not a bad tire, a bit noisy with the cross hatch pattern, but has very good grip, they didn't seem to grease up on the track but they do need to warm up more than the RS3 and hole shots not warmed up spin the tires. also they don't get very long mileage 3 to 4 k this would include a track day session
Price range $700-$800

And the F1's :haha: Great for testing how long of a skid mark you can do , I made 1st 2nd and 3rd LOL

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Have you tried the new Cobb traction control? Makes a big difference, but of course better tires means it has to work less. With that said, in for results. I'll be buying my first set of replacement tires next year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The nitto nt05 treats me very well, second gear is almost all the way there for traction and they work great at the track. Not to mention you can get them for like 150~ ea

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The nitto nt05 treats me very well, second gear is almost all the way there for traction and they work great at the track. Not to mention you can get them for like 150~ ea
What size?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not sure what hes running...but see sig below. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just got some Toyo R888 245/40R18 and so far noticed a huge increase in grip. Just a little noise due to tread pattern, but I'll take noise for increased traction. I'll comment after I go to the track in a week or two!

Reactions: Stealth and kai

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'll be picking up tires this spring. Anyone have Michelin pilot super sports? Trying to decide what will be best for my power level. Even with traction control, I've been spinning all but 4th (and 4th when it's cooler) with the stock tires. @kewing @Stealth how are your tires doing?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll be picking up tires this spring. Anyone have Michelin pilot super sports? Trying to decide what will be best for my power level. Even with traction control, I've been spinning all but 4th (and 4th when it's cooler) with the stock tires. @kewing @Stealth how are your tires doing?
The R888 were amazing on the street, but were horrible at the drag strip. Just a little noise due to the tread pattern, but not horrible. Not sure I would trust them in a heavy rain, but did fine in a light rain. I think they would hold up pretty well. I am selling mine and getting a couple slicks for the track and when my stock Goodyears are done I'll get a better replacement since this is my daily. Would love to borrow my co-workers 2016 RS wheels and tires!! LOL

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you tried the new Cobb traction control? Makes a big difference, but of course better tires means it has to work less. With that said, in for results. I'll be buying my first set of replacement tires next year.
I haven't been on here for a while, but read this and I'm intrigued. I'm running the SBD red kit and traction is awful. Corner grip is good, but accel bad. Running conti extreme contact. Gonna look into this, is it an update to the AP?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I haven't been on here for a while, but read this and I'm intrigued. I'm running the SBD red kit and traction is awful. Corner grip is good, but accel bad. Running conti extreme contact. Gonna look into this, is it an update to the AP?
Ya. Your tuner needs to turn it on. It was added in July I think b

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I run bfg rival for daily slicks at the track rival started good then have faded out

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I will have some Pilot Super Sports mounted up tonight. Weather is still not the greatest so I will get back after I get some better weather and miles! Excited about the spring/summer!! Will have some M&H slicks on the way shortly as well! @willfromfreeport and @Stealth

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I will have some Pilot Super Sports mounted up tonight. Weather is still not the greatest so I will get back after I get some better weather and miles! Excited about the spring/summer!! Will have some M&H slicks on the way shortly as well! @willfromfreeport and @Stealth
Been thinking I'll just go with 235/40/18 instead of trying to get 255's on the stock wheels. Don't want to to run into any potential problems when I hit the track in April (road race, not drag).

What size did you go with? Can't wait for your impressions.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Been thinking I'll just go with 235/40/18 instead of trying to get 255's on the stock wheels. Don't want to to run into any potential problems when I hit the track in April (road race, not drag).

What size did you go with? Can't wait for your impressions.
I went with 245/40R18. I found out the wheels I was installing these on didn't have sensors, so we will see how that turns out.

·
Administrator
12,611 Posts
I went with 245/40R18. I found out the wheels I was installing these on didn't have sensors, so we will see how that turns out.
OH geez, that TPS light and warning drives me crazy

Reactions: kshatt06
1 - 20 of 24 Posts