Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolled down to the local Friday meet last week for the first time in about a year. I met a WRX owner who was pretty friendly and he was telling me about his big turbo and how he's making 400+ wheel yada yada yada. I only recently installed my turbo and my tune isn't even halfway finished so I shouldn't even be making 350whp yet. I was itching to race so I figured I'd ask in hopes that my half finished tune might be able to keep up. So we hit the highway in Mexico and lined up, slowed down to 50mph, I floored the throttle and smacked the brakes, turbo whistling its beautiful 25psi tune. He honked three times and folks when I tell you this guy was an ant in my rearview y'all have no idea. Dude was shook. It was so bad he hit up his tuner the next day to ask what happened. What did his tuner say? Basically told him he couldn't drive. He sent the the screenshot so here you guys go for your viewing pleasure:

·
Registered
204 Posts
He needs to actually get it dyno'ed and confirm his number but other than that looks like you brake boosted.
What turbo are you running BTW?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
50mph and third gear is dangerous in big turbo focus, right in our powerband and gearing. wrx driver mod, wrong gear, turbo lag... could be a few things.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
400whp in a wrx is a decently large turbo, one with lots of lag. So starting close to 3500-4000rpm.

Driver mod makes all the difference. And BTW the wrx sucks with just Boltons, on highway pulls. Better from a dig.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
400whp in a wrx is a decently large turbo, one with lots of lag. So starting close to 3500-4000rpm.

Driver mod makes all the difference. And BTW the wrx sucks with just Boltons, on highway pulls. Better from a dig.
yeah im confident a stock wrx would beat me from a dig in most cases...I would need to catch up in the higher speeds

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should've added more stickers for the extra HP...lol. I suspect there's quite a bit of HP flexing going on. WRX is tough to get to 400hp at the wheels = lots of lag requiring a big turbo. On an STi, much easier to get there with bolt ons and a tune.

Your title says STi but you reference a WRX in the thread. 2 different animals in terms of performance capability.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should've added more stickers for the extra HP...lol. I suspect there's quite a bit of HP flexing going on. WRX is tough to get to 400hp at the wheels = lots of lag requiring a big turbo. On an STi, much easier to get there with bolt ons and a tune.

Your title says STi but you reference a WRX in the thread. 2 different animals in terms of performance capability.
It was an STI. I'm used to the old days when the STI was still technically a WRX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts