Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Big turbo questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Spool_Bus 
#1 ·
I am already full bolt ons and wanted to know what else I need to run a bigger turbo. I know that I will need the cpe exhale kit and the turbo. Is there anything else that I really would need to run with this? I don’t have access to e85 so I don’t see the need for aux fuel and I daily drive my st so would I need to get WMI or would I be fine without it?

#2 ·
You can do stock fuel to around 350whp without issues. You will need a custom tune at that point and your tuner will taylor the tune based on your fuel. If you want more power than that, then aux fuel and/or WMI will get you more. Aux fuel even with 93 octane will see an increase in power vs without it, just not as much as going e30-40 and the benefits e85 gets you. .

#3 ·
In reality aslong as you have an upgraded Intercooler you’ll be fine. You can run a big turbo on the stock charge pipes and down pipe with no issues even without aux fuel or water meth. You’ll be limited to 360ish or lower. But it has been done before. If you run a Borgwarner turbo the BOV aka BPV stays in the stock location as your stock unit. Or You can run the GTX series and to save some cash you just buy a greedy or Tail flange adaptor and hack it into your stock charge pipes.

#4 ·
When I went “bigger” turbo I got charge pipes along with the exhale kit. I went with a HKS bov. The stock charge pipes are kinda wimpy. Bigger turbo you want everything as free flowing as possible to make the most out of it.

Reactions: Bhami
#5 ·
This is very true but studies have shown that the stock charge pipes will support enough flow for a gt28. So if your trying to save money until you can afford some charge pipes down the road you can get by with what you have. Me personally I agree with @mike717 you want as little restriction as possible on the exhaust side and intake side. The more free flowing the more power you can make. But if your tight on money it can wait.
I as well did 2.5” charge pipes because I’m running a gt3576 and I do not want to choke it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.