Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am interested in going big turbo specifically a gtx3071r and was wondering if can use any gtx3071r or would only the one focus specific would work.

thanks

·
1,976 Posts
Hey guys,

I am interested in going big turbo specifically a gtx3071r and was wondering if can use any gtx3071r or would only the one focus specific would work.

thanks
There isn't a focus specific one though, a turbo is universal pending you have the same flanges to mate the exhaust side to the mounting flange to engine head. And for our downpipe to work that is a vband mated section to the exhaust side that connects to our downpipe. To save you the headache go with a kit already on the market, but if you're dead set on a DIY then you have to make sure everything lines up, etc. You can expect if you want to push that turbo you need to build the motor for sure, because that turbo doesn't really wake up until the 400whp mark give or take and will feel a bit sluggish compared to a gtx2867r setup. So with that being said what are your end goals (power, drivability, etc)?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The turbo itself is not model specific, so unless there is a kit out there for our car for that turbo then you are going to have some custom work ahead of you. Like gringoloco said, I would try to find a turbo kit made for the ST that comes with most of the components you need to hook everything up. What are you planning on using your car for? In my bt research it seems like that one is going to have some terrible spool times.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
If I were you and had the budget, I'd purchase EFR Exhaust manifold and install it on the GTX3071 Turbo, the manifold it comes with is "airflow garbage" Also it distorts your Gasket over a short amount of time.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If I were you and had the budget, I'd purchase EFR Exhaust manifold and install it on the GTX3071 Turbo, the manifold it comes with is "airflow garbage" Also it distorts your Gasket over a short amount of time.
^^^ That x2, if you're set on going with that turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts