Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys u been trying to launch my car but it just runs slow at the start, turbo doesn't kick in until 3.5 rpm . i wanna run a quarter mile soon but i know I'm gonna lose time at the start .
would the lunch control be helpful ? or any other way ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get sticky tires and launch above 3500rpm and you will be surprised.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agreed.

BTW, Kai, how does your Tial BOV sound? I have the exact same setup as you and I get a bit of flutter at certain shift rpm.
Can barely hear anything in the cabin with my 3" cobb exhaust and catless downpipe. Now driving under bridges and shifting with a window down, then I can definitely hear the aggressive PSHH, but I got lots of exhaust pops that steal all my attention, so I really don't pay attention to turbo/bov noises anymore :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can barely hear anything in the cabin with my 3" cobb exhaust and catless downpipe. Now driving under bridges and shifting with a window down, then I can definitely hear the aggressive PSHH, but I got lots of exhaust pops that steal all my attention, so I really don't pay attention to turbo/bov noises anymore :p
lol. I have the 3" CP-e exhaust with cobb dp and a big turbo and its **** loud. Sounds fantastic and maybe one of the best 4 cylinder exhaust notes i have ever heard, but very loud.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
LSD before big turbo,
Else regret of traction and the lack thereof shall follow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LSD is a definite *must have* if you have a tuned stock turbo much less a big turbo.

If you're using the COBB AP, you can set your LC to around 4k rpm. Also, ask your tuner about boost by gear and the COBB programmable traction control. Put that all together and you'll be amazed at how hard your FoST can launch! ;^)

·
Registered
344 Posts
LSD before big turbo,
Else regret of traction and the lack thereof shall follow.
I run a BT without an LSD and have driven a BT with an LSD. I have PSS on mine and it hooks up great. The FoST with LSD was using Eagle F1's and my car hooked up better than his. The E-diff stops one tyre spinning. Where an LSD will have a big difference is in sharp corners and track work. The LSD will pull the nose in more aggressively and allow for easier traction control on exit. Straight line however mine performed better so I would say for just traction the tyres have the biggest influence, especially seen as the car won't let one tyre spin on its own.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I run a BT without an LSD and have driven a BT with an LSD. I have PSS on mine and it hooks up great. The FoST with LSD was using Eagle F1's and my car hooked up better than his. The E-diff stops one tyre spinning. Where an LSD will have a big difference is in sharp corners and track work. The LSD will pull the nose in more aggressively and allow for easier traction control on exit. Straight line however mine performed better so I would say for just traction the tyres have the biggest influence, especially seen as the car won't let one tyre spin on its own.
With the E-Diff though, if it senses slip it will apply the brake to the one side to 'lock up'. Applying the brake will slow you down. A true mechanical diff should make the car faster in a straight line.

·
Registered
344 Posts
With the E-Diff though, if it senses slip it will apply the brake to the one side to 'lock up'. Applying the brake will slow you down. A true mechanical diff should make the car faster in a straight line.
Oh no doubt it should, but with the stratified traction control I don't think you will notice much of a difference. That relies on ignition not brakes. Also if you can spin both tyres with an e-diff and LSD then there won't be much difference as both will have a lack of traction.

Ultimately I was referring to the comment making out as if an LSD is a must with a BT. It really isn't the be all and end all unless you are doing track work. It won't have you hook up much more than running Cobb based TC. It will improve cornering though. Also my main point was that running good tires made the biggest difference for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Big turbo I'm sure on street you will hook really good with an lsd, mickey Thompson et street R (22-27 psi) and a traction bar.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I launched my car at 5,000 with slicks and my GTX2971. It spun for an instant and just went! Hang on and enjoy! It's fun and addicting. LOL

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I launched my car at 5,000 with slicks and my GTX2971. It spun for an instant and just went! Hang on and enjoy! It's fun and addicting. LOL
Axles stock? Im scared to even get on mine in first from a roll let alone launch it. How strong is the drivetrain in these cars? What gives first i guess is a better question

·
Registered
383 Posts
Axles stock? Im scared to even get on mine in first from a roll let alone launch it. How strong is the drivetrain in these cars? What gives first i guess is a better question
Stock everything except clutch. Stock clutch was going out so I replaced with a Spec Stage 3+. Drivetrain is pretty stout in these cars. I don't hear of many people breaking axles. Fastest I went was 12.3 I made 25-30 1/4 mile passes with slicks and never had an issue. Some were back to back and it did just fine.

Street tires will slip before anything...then the clutch would slip. As long as you are fully in gear the transmission will be fine. I the GTX2867 and WMI at 402whp and didn't have issues at the track. Using the slicks I was running a GTX2971 at 417whp for a bit then a GTX3071 at 433whp.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Stock everything except clutch. Stock clutch was going out so I replaced with a Spec Stage 3+. Drivetrain is pretty stout in these cars. I don't hear of many people breaking axles. Fastest I went was 12.3 I made 25-30 1/4 mile passes with slicks and never had an issue. Some were back to back and it did just fine.

Street tires will slip before anything...then the clutch would slip. As long as you are fully in gear the transmission will be fine. I the GTX2867 and WMI at 402whp and didn't have issues at the track. Using the slicks I was running a GTX2971 at 417whp for a bit then a GTX3071 at 433whp.
What was your experience with changing from 2867 -> 2971 -> 3071? I will be going down the path of an engine build a bit later in the year and am thinking at the same time of swapping in a bigger turbo. Was there a big difference in top end between them?

·
Registered
383 Posts
What was your experience with changing from 2867 -> 2971 -> 3071? I will be going down the path of an engine build a bit later in the year and am thinking at the same time of swapping in a bigger turbo. Was there a big difference in top end between them?
2867 was a fun starter turbo. It got me to 402, but that was about it. Not too much lag and fun around the street. The 2971 was amazing. I think the main reason I loved that combo so much is because it was actually dyno tuned. Did a few logs on the street, but finished on the dyno. So power was smoother than factory from idle to close to 7,000RPMs. Can't remember what AR that turbo was. I want to say .64 due to the fact it lost a little up top. Now the 3071 was a monster on an internally stock engine. Spool took awhile, but man would it pull hard until the limiter! I ran that to 7,200RPMs and it would easily keep going. Downside to that combo was the tune. It wasn't refined to the degree that the previous setup was, so it had a few minor issues. Most was in between shifts it fell off more than it should and seemed to stumble back into things. If you are doing an engine build and going bigger, it all depends on your end goal. A 2971 or 3071 on a built engine would be amazing if you are looking to keep power around 450 to 500whp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts