Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read more about Focus ST turbos than you can shake a stick at. The more I've read the less certain I've become that I should pursue going that route.

My Concerns:

#1. I need the final result to be reliable. I'm an adult and drive my car accordingly. I don't drop the clutch and slam through the gears. I don't race.... I don't abuse my vehicle in any way. Looking at this modification I've always operated under the assumption that if I operate the car the way I operate the stock one, that it won't place unreasonable stress on the drivetrain, rods, pistons etc..etc... A conservatively tuned GTX 2867 should actually be easier than the stock turbo from the standpoint of torque down low, stress on the vehicle.

Am I wrong?

#2. I cannot have a vehicle that sounds like a boy racer. I can deal with a mature sounding Ford Performance, Mountune, CNT type cat-back (listening to YouTube videos) but I cannot have a fart-machine for work. I represent my company and we don't have the option of showing up in a vehicle that sounds like a used 2-cycle chainsaw. The final result has to sound legal. It can sound like a sports car but not like an illegal chopped drag racer.

Is this a reasonable expectation on a big-turbo ST? I'll happily give-up 10-20 HP to achieve that and I have the money to purchase whichever solution best fits my priorities.

·
Registered
607 Posts
1.) mid 300 hp has proven to be reliable, long term. I was at that point and my only long term concern was that fuel pressure dropped a tiny bit at peak torque... I was right at the limits of the stock hpfp on pump gas. Running WMI might be a wise choice for longevity on stock motor... or ethanol mix. Pick your poison, but ethanol route you might get into fuel volume issues.

This bottom line comes down to getting a good tune and communicating your goals with tuner.

2.) Get a catted downpipe and one of those 2.5" exhausts and you should be good to go. I had catted DP with stock catback and it was still super quiet. BT in itself will increase volume some as the turbine is significantly larger. Mountune might be your best bet based on what I've read about the catbacks and wanting to keep things on the quieter side. I'm like you-- I can't DD a boy racer loud car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.) mid 300 hp has proven to be reliable, long term. I was at that point and my only long term concern was that fuel pressure dropped a tiny bit at peak torque... I was right at the limits of the stock hpfp on pump gas. Running WMI might be a wise choice for longevity on stock motor... or ethanol mix. Pick your poison, but ethanol route you might get into fuel volume issues.

This bottom line comes down to getting a good tune and communicating your goals with tuner.

2.) Get a catted downpipe and one of those 2.5" exhausts and you should be good to go. I had catted DP with stock catback and it was still super quiet. BT in itself will increase volume some as the turbine is significantly larger. Mountune might be your best bet based on what I've read about the catbacks and wanting to keep things on the quieter side. I'm like you-- I can't DD a boy racer loud car.
Ok... in a nutshell. Don't take any shortcuts on the tune, go conservate, use WMI without the kill tune, port injection not for the power necessarily, but for the extra control over fuel delivery. Go with the slower spooling turbo to push the torque curve up the RPM range which preserves traction, alleviates torque steer, and reduced stress on driveline components. I live fairly close to Stratified so I'm leaning towards just taking the vehicle to them and letting them tune it on the dyno along with expressing my desire for a conservative tune.

Catted downpipe with Mountune 2.5" exhaust.

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-High-Flow-Exhaust-Focus-ST-2013-2018-p/2363-tbe-aa.htm?CartID=1

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm running both WMI and 4port aux with a gtx2867r gen2 turbo (not tuning for WMI and have a 175ml nozzle (small nozzle)).
I can say that running a catted DP with a decent 3' exhaust (Thermal R&D) makes daily'ing the car a lot better noise level wise inside the car however if you are worried about opinions due to noise outside a good 2.5' exhaust like the Mountune or if you want a 3' a Milltek Exhaust might be a better idea. I have run both catted and catless on my car and since I no longer daily (as much) it I switched back to catless.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 200 cell catted downpipe and stock cat-back with my 2867. I'm right around 330whp on 93. My tuner said my spool i a little slower that what he has seen on other setups. I could have a small leak or it just may be the sock exhaust, im not sure. If your really worried about noise and are going to be getting a conservative tune anyway, just leave the stock exhaust on.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I live fairly close to Stratified so I'm leaning towards just taking the vehicle to them and letting them tune it on the dyno along with expressing my desire for a conservative tune.

Catted downpipe with Mountune 2.5" exhaust.
You should reach out to Stratified then too, see what they suggest.

I would also consider a turbo that is internally wastegated liked the stock unit, aka one of the EFR's. Of course, staying out of boost or even light boost doesnt make the dump pipe scream, not having it would keep things tamer sounding.
https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Focus-ST-MRX-Turbocharger-Upgrade-p/2363-tu-aa.htm

I think catted dp and only a 2.5" exhaust(with muffler/res of course) would get the sound you are after.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You could keep the stock exhaust on a BT set up. That's what I have been running w/ a catless DP with an EFR 6758. Still pretty quiet. Or for the ultimate qiuet exhuast that you can open her up and let her rip, you can buy a res-delete w/ e-cut out from me ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm really confused as to why you are even considering a BT. A BT will always be less reliable than the stock setup. The only real issue that low-end torque can cause is LSPI which Ford has thoroughly addressed. The vast majority of engine issues occur when pressures and heat are relatively high. This is when component wear occurs and a BT will amplify that by increasing cylinder pressures at high engine speeds. There is absolutely no guarantee your BT setup will be reliable and issues can be very hard to diagnose and fix.

The sound of car is entirely dependent on the exhaust, bypass valve and intake. There are plenty of options out there that won't make much more noise than stock, but a turbo 2.0L I4 is never going to sound like a sonorous naturally aspirated sports car. You can pick from quiet or boyracer, thats pretty much it. If you go the quiet route and run a conservative tune, you are going to barely make more power than an E30 tuned stage 3 FoST.

It sounds like you don't plan on really using a BT setup to its full potential, so why even bother? Save yourself a lot of headache and trade your car in for a GTI/GLI. A flash tune will put them close to the power levels of a BT FoST while offering a more comfortable and mature ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really confused as to why you are even considering a BT. A BT will always be less reliable than the stock setup. The only real issue that low-end torque can cause is LSPI which Ford has thoroughly addressed. The vast majority of engine issues occur when pressures and heat are relatively high. This is when component wear occurs and a BT will amplify that by increasing cylinder pressures at high engine speeds. There is absolutely no guarantee your BT setup will be reliable and issues can be very hard to diagnose and fix.

The sound of car is entirely dependent on the exhaust, bypass valve and intake. There are plenty of options out there that won't make much more noise than stock, but a turbo 2.0L I4 is never going to sound like a sonorous naturally aspirated sports car. You can pick from quiet or boyracer, thats pretty much it. If you go the quiet route and run a conservative tune, you are going to barely make more power than an E30 tuned stage 3 FoST.

It sounds like you don't plan on really using a BT setup to its full potential, so why even bother? Save yourself a lot of headache and trade your car in for a GTI/GLI. A flash tune will put them close to the power levels of a BT FoST while offering a more comfortable and mature ride.
I drove a new GTI before buying my ST. I liked the ST better and my Focus ST was $7000 cheaper with less miles on it (but a rebuilt title). I recognize the GTI is easier to make faster and more civilized. In the end I just enjoyed driving the ST more than the GTI. I could care less if it is a half second slower 0-60 or in the quarter. Plus.... I have $7K to blow on "upgrades" which is part of the fun.

In terms of reliability I know that stock is most reliable. But what kind of fun is that? I have a desire to tinker with my car and I want to make "upgrades" with the priority of maintaining, to the extent possible, reliability and keeping the noise within a reasonable range. Maximizing a BT is a matter of personal priorities and my priorities are just different than yours.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I daily drive my car, and I'm running the Mountune MRX EFR kit, with the 6758. That being said, I do have the Mountune 3" catless downpipe, but it is paired with the Magnaflow "cat-back", and it has a deep, more refined sound in my opinion. Way deeper and quieter than the MBRP or AWE exhaust setups, but is also only 2.5". I'd recommend going with an exhaust that has a resonator and muffler, or two resonators to cut down on the noise while still flowing well.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Factory exhaust will handle a BT, so why bother spending money on a CAT-back if you are against the extra added noise, CAT-back only adds noise in less you are trying to make BIG power which on that BT you will not.

The Greddy exhaust is NOT loud, trouble is finding them but I think there out there still.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factory exhaust will handle a BT, so why bother spending money on a CAT-back if you are against the extra added noise, CAT-back only adds noise in less you are trying to make BIG power which on that BT you will not.

The Greddy exhaust is NOT loud, trouble is finding them but I think there out there still.
I may just leave the stock exhaust and see how that sounds with the Mountune MRX 6258. I'm going to do a meth system first and get that piece of the puzzle functioning.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've just upgraded motor/Turbo/gearbox, buy I had 100k on my previous set-up, which was:

2867 gen-1 (Speed By Design Red Series)
CpE small core
E40 stratified tune
2 port stratified xtra fuel kit
MBRP catless DP
MBRP people series exhaust
CPE lower mount
& Few other things

With this set up I dyno'd at 400 at the wheels. The car was excellent daily driver. I drive similar to you, but I do WOT pulls every day. I installed the turbo at 29k and the xtra fuel kit and re-tune @ 59k. The only issue I ever had was the stock clutch started slipping a bit as I closed in on 100k. Oh....and I drive 130 miles round trip to work a day.

I found the car really fun to drive, and would do it again if i bought it new. The only reason i changed set-up is because i got a great deal on rebuilt motor with forged pistons and head work, and a 7163, so when it was time to swap the clutch I just swapped everything, and shooting for >500 at the wheels.

I would recommend the 2867 set up with an e85 mix of it's available for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've just upgraded motor/Turbo/gearbox, buy I had 100k on my previous set-up, which was:

2867 gen-1 (Speed By Design Red Series)
CpE small core
E40 stratified tune
2 port stratified xtra fuel kit
MBRP catless DP
MBRP people series exhaust
CPE lower mount
& Few other things

With this set up I dyno'd at 400 at the wheels. The car was excellent daily driver. I drive similar to you, but I do WOT pulls every day. I installed the turbo at 29k and the xtra fuel kit and re-tune @ 59k. The only issue I ever had was the stock clutch started slipping a bit as I closed in on 100k. Oh....and I drive 130 miles round trip to work a day.

I found the car really fun to drive, and would do it again if i bought it new. The only reason i changed set-up is because i got a great deal on rebuilt motor with forged pistons and head work, and a 7163, so when it was time to swap the clutch I just swapped everything, and shooting for >500 at the wheels.

I would recommend the 2867 set up with an e85 mix of it's available for you.

Btw..the exhaust note is very mild. There is a touch of drone, but it's not bad imho.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've read more about Focus ST turbos than you can shake a stick at. The more I've read the less certain I've become that I should pursue going that route.

My Concerns:

#1. I need the final result to be reliable. I'm an adult and drive my car accordingly. I don't drop the clutch and slam through the gears. I don't race.... I don't abuse my vehicle in any way. Looking at this modification I've always operated under the assumption that if I operate the car the way I operate the stock one, that it won't place unreasonable stress on the drivetrain, rods, pistons etc..etc... A conservatively tuned GTX 2867 should actually be easier than the stock turbo from the standpoint of torque down low, stress on the vehicle.

Am I wrong?

#2. I cannot have a vehicle that sounds like a boy racer. I can deal with a mature sounding Ford Performance, Mountune, CNT type cat-back (listening to YouTube videos) but I cannot have a fart-machine for work. I represent my company and we don't have the option of showing up in a vehicle that sounds like a used 2-cycle chainsaw. The final result has to sound legal. It can sound like a sports car but not like an illegal chopped drag racer.

Is this a reasonable expectation on a big-turbo ST? I'll happily give-up 10-20 HP to achieve that and I have the money to purchase whichever solution best fits my priorities.
First off, dont go big turbo if these are your concerns. Secondly you drive a ford focus, so ditch the big rep company stuff. If you want a professional car, then buy one. If you want to mod you focus then do it. Or buy another car to drive to work in. You WILL NOT hit your goals of reliability and sound.

Source, big turbo ST on coil overs.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's always fun to read threads of people who have never owned a turbo car and never modified one either. Mature and Adult driven? LOL

I dragged raced my car at least once a month. I put a ton of miles on it via Uber/Lyft/Postmates. I am 49 years old....

Stock engine, transmission and clutch will easily tolerate 400 hp, you won't make 400 hp on pump gas however.

When you show up at the strip and you have one of the ten fastest cars at street legal days instead one of the ten slowest, THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts