Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have to be quite a few people on here with big turbos and the cp-e hot charge pipe. Did the rest of you have this same fitment issue that I'm having? I had a similar fitment issue with the COBB charge pipe, but not as bad. If you check out the photo below, the 90 degree reduction coupler between the turbo and the charge pipe falls several inches short.

I could totally hack a piece of pipe in between and splice two pieces of hose together to add length, but I do not want to do something like that. Shouldn't the cp-e coupler provided fit better than this?

How did the rest of you big turbo folks fit these together?

Auto part Pipe Tire Wire Exhaust system

·
Administrator
13,301 Posts
There have to be quite a few people on here with big turbos and the cp-e hot charge pipe. Did the rest of you have this same fitment issue that I'm having? I had a similar fitment issue with the COBB charge pipe, but not as bad. If you check out the photo below, the 90 degree reduction coupler between the turbo and the charge pipe falls several inches short.

I could totally hack a piece of pipe in between and splice two pieces of hose together to add length, but I do not want to do something like that. Shouldn't the cp-e coupler provided fit better than this?

How did the rest of you big turbo folks fit these together?

View attachment 221393
Oh schnapp!! I am approaching throwing in a CPE hotside, and a gtx2971r, so this concerns me. Sorry I have no real insight on your issue. I will be watching this though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
JBR same issue, I had to get 2-3" of aluminum welding onto my pipe to have the coupler on and snug

Reactions: TH Performance

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well that's lovely. They might want to off the longer coupler somewhere on their website. Or better yet, have a drop-down for that choice when you order the hot charge pipe kit.

I'm probably going to be forced to do a hack job for now and splice the provided coupler with an aluminum pipe since I need the car for commuting this week.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Had the same issue. Cut the coupler by about 3 inches added a 3 inch aluminum joiner and then added a new silicone coupler to make it long enough. Slightly annoying to have to do but it works and it hasn't had any issues

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I dropped a line in CP-E's section. Hopefully they will resolve this.
This is not the way we should have to do this, but for now I've created an aluminum/silicone coupler join to make up the length. I have to wonder if the additional coupler might disturb the air flow (a little) so I'd rather have one proper length 90 degree silicone elbow coupler. Plus now I have two additional places for boost leaks.

Anyways - happy to be past this issue for now!
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Engine Exhaust system

Auto part Pipe Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Footwear

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I dropped a line in CP-E's section. Hopefully they will resolve this.
If you come across a good coupler please ping me with the info. I did some searching today and it's not common to find a 90 degree elbow with a length needed here. Most are only 4-5 inches. To get a good seal I think it will take more than that. I may call Vibrant or another producer and see if they will cut a custom one for me. If they will, I'll post it up here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is concerning since I will be purchasing the hot side pipe and also going big turbo within the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got a gtx2971, CPE hotside, and a depo intercooler recently and everything fit just fine for me. 2016 Focus ST.

·
Administrator
13,301 Posts
If you come across a good coupler please ping me with the info. I did some searching today and it's not common to find a 90 degree elbow with a length needed here. Most are only 4-5 inches. To get a good seal I think it will take more than that. I may call Vibrant or another producer and see if they will cut a custom one for me. If they will, I'll post it up here.
What turbo are you running? The 2867 in your sig still?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What turbo are you running? The 2867 in your sig still?
Yep. 2867 in my sig.

Honestly, other than looks, this extra coupler join I've made is working just fine. I would still rather have one, but it's definitely solid as is for now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still love and recommend the cp-e products including this one. I just wasn't expecting this - another small lesson learned. It's all good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts