Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time using this platform, don’t know if im on the right forum. So i made up my mind of going big turbo on my 2017 ST, GTX2867 specifically. What exactly do i need for this turbo to reliably hit around 350whp?
Current setup:
-CPE intercooler
-Depo Racing 3”catless downpipe
-AWE track exhaust
-Accessport
-Cobb RMM
Intake is on the way and soon to be installed, charge pipes will also be changed. Other than that, is there anything other supporting mods im going to need or anything else in general? Any advice you big turbo guys have?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,594 Posts
Just bolt it on, and tune. 350 is what the stock fuel system maxes out at.

Also, there's mounds of info here, don't hesistate to search for any questions you have first. Chances are it's been covered in depth before.

·
Registered
246 Posts
First time using this platform, don’t know if im on the right forum. So i made up my mind of going big turbo on my 2017 ST, GTX2867 specifically. What exactly do i need for this turbo to reliably hit around 350whp?
Current setup:
-CPE intercooler
-Depo Racing 3”catless downpipe
-AWE track exhaust
-Accessport
-Cobb RMM
Intake is on the way and soon to be installed, charge pipes will also be changed. Other than that, is there anything other supporting mods im going to need or anything else in general? Any advice you big turbo guys have?
Make sure you get the Exhale cold side pipe for a blow off valve. I'd also recommend a stratified Guardian angel for longevity reasons

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And i forgot to mention, if im FBO i have the right tuning, how reliable is this turbo to my motor at 330-350whp? This car most likely won’t see the track, and i’d only push it on weekends here and there. Can this turbo be just as reliable as the stock turbo?

·
Registered
246 Posts
And i forgot to mention, if im FBO i have the right tuning, how reliable is this turbo to my motor at 330-350whp? This car most likely won’t see the track, and i’d only push it on weekends here and there. Can this turbo be just as reliable as the stock turbo?
Just make sure you read about and understand LSPI and you'll be fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, you probably just saved me from blowing up my motor. I’ve never heard of lspi and i just realized i’ve been doing things that can cause lspi with the stock turbo, but im assuming is more acceptable to push the car on low rpms on the stock turbo cause of all the low end torque, correct? So in conclusion, fbo is good enough for big turbo, and it can be reliable as long as i got my lspi stuff on check, correct?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,594 Posts
Interesting, you probably just saved me from blowing up my motor. I’ve never heard of lspi and i just realized i’ve been doing things that can cause lspi with the stock turbo, but im assuming is more acceptable to push the car on low rpms on the stock turbo cause of all the low end torque, correct? So in conclusion, fbo is good enough for big turbo, and it can be reliable as long as i got my lspi stuff on check, correct?
The contrary, actually. The tiny stock turbo is extremely hard on engine internals in the midrange RPM and is especially easy to LSPI when tuned. Bigger turbo is slightly laggier and isnt as easy to create conditions where LSPI can be present (although still very possible). So despite all that extra power, i wouldnt say you're much, if any, harder on the internals with a BT at 350hp range.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The o ly thing I'd consider is a catch can. I havnt done one yet and I really should but it's a good idea.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh and make sure you use T clamps on your charge pipes because the 2867 can and will blow off band clamps.

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
328 Posts
You should pretty much be good to go. Which cold side charge pipe did you go with? 350 should be easily attainable. My car hasn't been on a dyno but my tuner and my butt dyno tell me it's right in that ballpark.

You're in for quite the awakening tbh.. Your ST will never be the same (in a good way).. My GF won't even ride in my car anymore lol.. Took my daughter a minute to get used to it but she's back to asking me for "turbo boosters" again lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even the stock turbo will blow those clamps off. Happened to me no more than a month ago actually. I have yet to order the charge pipes but im looking into CPE hot and cold charge pipes, and thank you guys very much for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
330 Posts
I’m around 360-380whp on a E30 93 blend. Stock fuel system. BNR3071. Spools later around 3600rpm. I’m tuned by Brian at JST. I’d also check out Alan’s videos at Edge auto sports YouTube videos. They have videos comparing turbos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know you need to get the Exhale pipe with a BoV flange right?
I didn’t know that actually. I was going to go with the regular hot and cold charge pipes. On CPE’s description it says its compatible with the big turbo as well. Correct me if im wrong tho please! What are the benefits of going with BOV flange over their regular charge pipes?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I didn’t know that actually. I was going to go with the regular hot and cold charge pipes. On CPE’s description it says its compatible with the big turbo as well. Correct me if im wrong tho please! What are the benefits of going with BOV flange over their regular charge pipes?
The benefit is that you need it lol. The stock blow off valve is mounted directly to the stock turbo. Since you will be removing the stock turbo and thus the stock BoV, you need to outsource a mounting solution for a new BoV. The easiest and most common way to do it is to buy the Exhale cold side kit with either a tial-q or HKS BoV. CPE makes one that is probably the most widely used. The cold side pipe in particular is a ***** to Install. Took me and my friend like 2 hours. Just a really tight space. My advice to save a TON of time is to prop up your intercooler and take out the bolts that hold up the crossmember that the intercooler is mounted to. Then you can kinda lower the entire cooling assembly a few inches which give you the little bit of room you need to get it in there easier.

Here it is on CJ

No offense but it sounds like you need to read up a little bit more on the upgrade If you really want to do it.

Here is a good article from Edge Autosport that helped me alot when I was starting off in the big turbo world.

That article is focused more on busting the 400 number, but just ignore the parts about auxiliary fueling and you will hit 350 with no issues. Can probably even get up close to 375 with a good ethanol mix and the stock fuel system.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
579 Posts
if you're for whatever reason against an external/charge pipe mounted BoV, EFR series turbos retain internal BPV.

Reactions: Jari2340

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,974 Posts
I've mounted them directly to the intercooler end tank before. Placement is about your individual set up. Find a product that you like that fits your needs and budget. Speed Density vehicles give you a lot of leeway.

Reactions: Jari2340
1 - 20 of 20 Posts