Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Can you address the claims of the film burning over time?
Yes it is possible to burn the adhesive. Uprating the bulbs is the quickest way to do it. In applications that tend to run hotter than most ( a lot of Honda's oddly enough) leaving the fogs on for extended periods while stationary or stuck in crawling bumper to bumper traffic can do it too.

We have heard of a variety of aftermarket bulbs running too hot and burning the adhesive used on our lighting protection kits.

The following is on the product description page for all fog light kits on the site.

Please Note: New car manufacturers warn you about not replacing any of your bulbs with higher wattage versions, and so do we. Higher wattage bulbs may cause reflector / lens / housing failures even without these covers. As using these covers, may decrease the lens ability to dissipate heat more applicable to fog lights than to headlights- we also recommend that you refrain from using higher wattage bulbs in conjunction with our high performance covers. We also suggest turning you fog lights off while you vehicle is stationary stuck in stop and go traffic for example.

We do not recommend, nor do auto manufacturers, installing higher wattage bulbs to try and make the lights brighter. Upping the wattage introduces more heat than more additional light. This would not be good no matter whether a protection kit is installed on the vehicle or not. The materials used have been tested to 225 degrees F - 30 minutes sustained temperature - dry - minimal air flow.

We have had the applications applied on both personally owned vehicles and for local customers for years without issue. On option is when you are looking into changing bulbs - something a lot of enthusiasts seem to do - is to look into LED retrofits. We contacted diode dynamics last year asking about the temps seen on the front side of the lights with their retrofits. While they were unable to quantify the change they did say they run a lot cooler than stock halogen bulbs on the front side - the opposite is the case when uprating halogen bulbs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the response. I didn't really expect one.
I will have to check the temperature on my fog lights after driving around for a while. If it is below what you have stated you may have another customer.

Reactions: HeadlightArmor

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for the response. I didn't really expect one.
I will have to check the temperature on my fog lights after driving around for a while. If it is below what you have stated you may have another customer.
For what it's worth I had them on my car for a bit over two years and they still looked perfect when I traded it in. If they actually made some for the RS I would buy them again.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I have these and they are fantastic!!! Make sure to get the ballast to that goes with them. They are super easy to do. I just pulled my fender wheel well back enough by only taking one screw out at the lowest point in the wheel well
and could do everything like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have these and they are fantastic!!! Make sure to get the ballast to that goes with them. They are super easy to do. I just pulled my fender wheel well back enough by only taking one screw out at the lowest point in the wheel well
and could do everything like that.
Yeah I have had no issue with these. Replaced these while I had the bumper off swapping out my intercooler! Also I wanted yellow so used the supplied covers.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Yeah I have had no issue with these. Replaced these while I had the bumper off swapping out my intercooler! Also I wanted yellow so used the supplied covers.

Actually I lied lol. I didn't look close enough. I have the HIDs that look similar to that. I have them in the 4000k color.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I went with @HeadlightArmor yellow overlays because I wanted the actual lenses to be yellow, not just the bulb. Coming over from the JDM world, all the fogs are yellow, it was something I missed. Needless to say, I'm satisfied with them.

I do have to say though it does cut down on brightness just ever so slightly (unless you run your fogs on 100% of the time, you really wouldn't notice) so I may switch to the next step up in terms of bulb brightness, but otherwise I am completely satisfied. Would recommend to anyone else. $20 something plus tax and shipping, delivered in like 2 days, 5 minute install (after a car wash) and bam, done.

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts