1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
blizzak 70 or 80's I think are real popular from what i've read, zero experience.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have Goodyear ICE WRT's and have been very happy with them.
I got them mounted, balanced, on steelies, after rebate and shipping from tire rack for like $650..... cant beat that

EDIT: On tire rack they have an option for General tires (I think thats the name). I havent used them, but my dad who worked in the tire industry for a while says they are great tires. I havent used them though

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I was thinking about a set of these Blizzaks but idk if this is right for me. I'm in New Jersey and it doesn't snow all the time
I haven't posted in the other thread linked here (at least not that I recall), so I will post my reply here. I am in a similar situation to you. My car rarely sees snow (I have a Subaru for snow days). The answer as it turns out is still Blizzaks... just don't get the WS-80. Get the Blizzak LM-32 instead. The WS-80 is superior to the LM-32 in snow and ice. I actually use the WS-80 on the Subaru. The LM-32 is described as a premium winter performance tire. It is solid in the snow/ice, but still lets you push the gas a little on dry cold roads (thanks to a higher speed rating and different tread design than the WS-80).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm in NJ and put on a set of Michelin PA4. Not as great in deep snow as the blizzak WS80 but they handle better in dry/when it doesn't snow. Took a quick cruise with them last night when there was an inch or so of snow on the pavement, up a fairly steep hill...had no problem. Probably not as good in 6+ inches of snow as the blizzaks but like you said, doesn't snow all the time and I'd rather not sacrifice performance when it isn't snowing. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been running Continental Extreme Winter Contact on steelies for winter since new. Have had no issue with them. I have used Blizzak and General on past cars with no issue as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to me then that any of these tire options will be suitable, whether I go for the Michelin PA4's, the Blizzak LM32, or the Goodyear ICE WRT's. It doesn't sound like I'll need anything more extreme to cope with the NJ winter, considering it's not always snowing. My biggest concern is just being able to get to work when it does snow, but from what I'm reading, these tires laid out will be able to do just that.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It seems to me then that any of these tire options will be suitable, whether I go for the Michelin PA4's, the Blizzak LM32, or the Goodyear ICE WRT's. It doesn't sound like I'll need anything more extreme to cope with the NJ winter, considering it's not always snowing. My biggest concern is just being able to get to work when it does snow, but from what I'm reading, these tires laid out will be able to do just that.
Correct. Typically, being able to make it to work in the snow is determined by the nut behind the wheel...or the other nut jobs on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
From what I've read, the Aplin PA 4's are supposed to be legit, but they are pricey. Michelin site show the stock 235/40 18 but tire rack doesn't. The LM32 is the only Blizzak I have found available in stock size; no WS80.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone running winter tires on factory wheels? I was thinking about a set of these Blizzaks but idk if this is right for me. I'm in New Jersey and it doesn't snow all the time, and I only need winter tires for about 4, MAYBE 5 months out of the entire year. Any thoughts?

(Bridgestone*Blizzak WS80)
I scored a set of winter claws with one season on Craigslist for 300, I then scored some focus 17 inch rims off Craigslist again for 160. I have no complaints about the winter claws 225 50 17, they stop very well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have 3 year old 235/40/18 Blizzak WS70, they've been amazing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My blizzaks have been outstanding, however I use 16 inch steelies (early 2014 st2) to avoid pothole issues.

Really any winter tire will blow the doors off any summer tire when the temperature drops below 40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts