Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got two chips on each side of the rear, right above the bumper, probably from rocks that I want to get fixed. Any ideas on how to start? touch up paint or other solutions?

appreciate the advice!

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Repaint or get the car wrapped.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I bet those spots are from the bumper rubbing the fender because of the poor gap fitment during manufacture/assembly. If it were not on those edges I would recommend Dr. Colorchip, guess you could still try it on those spots.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i just tried using the touch up paint from Ford on some chips in the front of the hood and it turned out crappy trying to blend/match the smoothness of the original paint on there. ill prolly sand it and try again another time in spring, freakin dump trucks piss me off with their **** flying off the back

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are really large chips and I'd normally recommend repainting, but if you're fine with an imperfect fix you can try Dr. Colorchip stuff (this won't look very good on a chip of that size) or the "Larry Kosilla" method explained in detail here:

If you don't put a value on your time, or if you just enjoy detailing, I would go for the second option. I personally enjoy stuff like that, and it's a skill you can use on any car you own for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just tried using the touch up paint from Ford on some chips in the front of the hood and it turned out crappy trying to blend/match the smoothness of the original paint on there. ill prolly sand it and try again another time in spring, freakin dump trucks piss me off with their **** flying off the back
I'm in Indiana and INDOT loves using cheap options to filling pot holes and I have a ton of small chips in the hood, its bad around here

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'd love to but im looking for a less expensive option
That first pic looks like there is a dent in addition to paint chip. Both spots need derusting. You're going to have to spend money to do it right. Otherwise, if you're looking for cheap, slap a decal over them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The ford paint didnt match well .i went with automotivetouchup. They make a pen and a little bottle with brush. Like a finger nail bottle

·
Registered
2,251 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Look up Chris Fix on YouTube, in his diy rust repair video he goes into detail on how to paint blend, its really easy. I followed his tutorial on restoring steel wheels for my 1970 camaro and the results were amazing, super easy too.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I second the suggestion for paint from automotivetouchup. I was deeply impressed with their match of spirit/performance blue.

I also agree with dealing with the rust. You might want to use some evaporust or something before touching that up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts