Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Now I've done practically every major job that I wanted to do to my car I'm set to look for a touch screen conversion kit so I can finally get rid of the crappy analogue system Ford lumbered all us UK pre-facelift owners with.

There you go. Isn't it totally s***?! Now I wanna get out of the Dark Ages by getting one of those beautiful touch screens for my beloved wheels. So then, what's the best system out there for sale, and does it have Sync compatibility?

·
Registered
110 Posts
That bezel fitment looks like its the same as the US Focus, so I think you could get away with a Metra or Scosche kit. They offer a kind of wire harness to keep the Sync functionality too. I don't quite like the layout of them, myself, but it would be the easiest way to get a Pioneer or whatever brand single/double DIN screen in there.

Or maybe even just find a Sync 3 bezel and screen and pop that in there instead?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That bezel fitment looks like its the same as the US Focus, so I think you could get away with a Metra or Scosche kit. They offer a kind of wire harness to keep the Sync functionality too. I don't quite like the layout of them, myself, but it would be the easiest way to get a Pioneer or whatever brand single/double DIN screen in there.

Or maybe even just find a Sync 3 bezel and screen and pop that in there instead?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look into the Metra and Scosche ideas. Ideally I'd like to get as close to factory standard as possible, but I'm open to any alternatives, just so long as they're a decent quality, with a widely used operating system that I can easily update and upgrade, like Sync.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a quick Google. Yeah, I'd be open to having something like that, as long as I can get some decent quality hardware to go with it and have Sync programed into it. I've had a look at what you have to do to upgrade to the official Ford/Sony system, and I'm definitely interested in avoiding ripping the guts out of the car if I possibly can, whilst having a decent setup as well. What kind of compatible hardware is there for that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went through @wingnutt 's link above found a thread brianlovelace made about doing just this (Sync 1 to Sync 3) if you wanted the offical route.
A less invasive method would be to get a tablet (a 7" Android would probably work) that will fit in the little area in front of the original Sync 1 screen and mount it there with some kind of magnet mount arm or something. Maybe use the camera on the tablet to focus on the screen in the Sync 1 system to "retain" your backup camera 🙃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts