Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a noob question. I was trying to find the noob question thread but I can't locate it again.

What is the safest place (turbo wise), as far as RPM, to go WOT?

For example: I'm going down the road in 2nd and am at 2k rpm, is it OK to floor it then, or do I wait until 3k and over?

I'm not looking for the best way to launch, just to get a little turbo rush for fun. I've also read that it's best to go wot after 3k...

I know not to lug the engine (I.e. wot in 5th or 6th gear).

Sorry for the stupid question.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I always wait until i am above 3K ...

Reactions: ST1Dale

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
yeah been answered like 100 times over and over and like 1000 youtubers have put up videos about this....

No "magic" number but 3k should be more than enough and be a VERY safe number to play with... 3k is hardly even revving this motor... it doubles that and more before red line.

The sweet spot i think is right around 2600RPM. I feel like the full amount of boost can be had and I can almost always hit 22-24psi on the boost O meter (CobbAP3) hits you back in your chair really nicely so if that is the "turbo rush" you are looking for that should cover it.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I would say at a bare minimum at 2500, but 3000 is probably ideal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers and roasting me a little bit. I'm using the mobile site and I searched the forum but couldn't find my specific question and only generalized suggestions on Google but not specific to the focus st.

I figured it had been answered about 1000000000 times but now 1000000001 times.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
When doing data logs, Stratified has you start at 2500rpm and 100% throttle. I highly doubt they would have you do anything that would hurt your motor.

And if your talking 2nd gear, well you don't have to be going very fast at all to be over that rpm range...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When doing data logs, Stratified has you start at 2500rpm and 100% throttle. I highly doubt they would have you do anything that would hurt your motor.

And if your talking 2nd gear, well you don't have to be going very fast at all to be over that rpm range...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is kind of what I thought but this is my first turbo car and I'm doing a poop ton of research to make sure I'm doing everything correctly including reading all the noob 'what not to do's'

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I launch mine at 2600 at the track. 2.0 flat 60 ft. on the OEM P Zero's (which I consider to be junk). I'm adding Nitto 555R's next Spring, they should easily knock a tenth or two off my 60 ft. and I'll likely play with launching a bit harder at that point.
It's getting chilly around this time of the year and hitting boost in 2nd at 3k easily spins the eagle f1s. Of course, here in NC it doesn't get cold for long stretch of else I would contemplate switching to tires that handle lower temps better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah been answered like 100 times over and over and like 1000 youtubers have put up videos about this....

No "magic" number but 3k should be more than enough and be a VERY safe number to play with... 3k is hardly even revving this motor... it doubles that and more before red line.

The sweet spot i think is right around 2600RPM. I feel like the full amount of boost can be had and I can almost always hit 22-24psi on the boost O meter (CobbAP3) hits you back in your chair really nicely so if that is the "turbo rush" you are looking for that should cover it.
24 psi?? Stock we make 16 with just 15 seconds of 21 psi overboost you mean tuned at 24?

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is going to be a noob question. I was trying to find the noob question thread but I can't locate it again.

What is the safest place (turbo wise), as far as RPM, to go WOT?

For example: I'm going down the road in 2nd and am at 2k rpm, is it OK to floor it then, or do I wait until 3k and over?

I'm not looking for the best way to launch, just to get a little turbo rush for fun. I've also read that it's best to go wot after 3k...

I know not to lug the engine (I.e. wot in 5th or 6th gear).

Sorry for the stupid question.
First make sure oil temps passes abit the second line. When you start the car the niddle is all the way left thats the first line, the second line is befoeer the middle. You can go wot any rpm exept 5th and 6th gear I would go wot at least 3K rpm other gears should be fine. please before going wot make sure oil temps are ideal range going wot hard with cold temps can be scary and maybe **** somethinf up

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's getting chilly around this time of the year and hitting boost in 2nd at 3k easily spins the eagle f1s. Of course, here in NC it doesn't get cold for long stretch of else I would contemplate switching to tires that handle lower temps better.
Whoa you have F1 good year eagles are they good?? Hows the grip?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts