Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying my full exhaust.

I am having trouble finding a good downpipe since everyone has so many mixed opinions about them.

What are you guys running, and how do you like it? I am curious about brand and price.

Thanks!

(p.s, interested in the depo racing downpipe, but its on backorder for another 3 weeks.)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I too wanted the Depo catless DP, but got impatient when I noticed the backorder was 8 weeks out.

Gave the 1320 Performance catless pipe a go and have been loving it. Fit and finish are spot on.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
A downpipe is a downpipe, if the metal is the same on 2 pipes (304 stainless steel) and they have the same setup (200 cell cat or no cat etc.) then they will do the same thing. The only real difference between all the option for our car is price. Unless you want a cat, then the price varies widely and there are different options such as 200 cell/400 cell and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
445 Posts
A downpipe is a downpipe, if the metal is the same on 2 pipes (304 stainless steel) and they have the same setup (200 cell cat or no cat etc.) then they will do the same thing. The only real difference between all the option for our car is price. Unless you want a cat, then the price varies widely and there are different options such as 200 cell/400 cell and so on and so forth.
Agreed.

That’s why I grabbed the pipe I did. <$200 and made from t304 like the MBRP catback I had already installed.

The county I live in in Oregon doesn’t require emissions testing so just installed the catless with an anti-fouler on the downstream sensor to prevent a CEL.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Agreed.

That’s why I grabbed the pipe I did. <$200 and made from t304 like the MBRP catback I had already installed.

The county I live in in Oregon doesn’t require emissions testing so just installed the catless with an anti-fouler on the downstream sensor to prevent a CEL.

Precisely. Think about it, it's a hollow tube. That's it. Some people are dishing out and buying the $400 pipes from some places...I'm like...why? I got a $200 depo racing one and it does literally the exact same to a T as a more expensive one. No difference at all, same material. If you like spending extra on the name brands then go ahead lol you'll see the same exact identical results. I understand supporting your brand of choice, but sometimes it's just wasted cash.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
that isn't remotely true... you get what you pay for and the Depo pipes have been failing the v-band ring weld fails on 1 of 4 pipes it sounds like, there is a ever going speak of this on different FB groups.

The Greddy Pipe is amazing and the quality is hands down next to none. same with the COBB

I have installed two 1320 pipes. one was really nice and the other had a small fitment issue but otherwise was flawless and looked quality, time will tell how they hold up.

I stopped recommending Depo pipes after the last couple resent failures I have seen. for the price point I would say go with 1320.

OH and I went with Greddy because I got a deal on it, and because it was in stock and most importantly I can say I have Greddy turbo-back :p

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
that isn't remotely true... you get what you pay for and the Depo pipes have been failing the v-band ring weld fails on 1 of 4 pipes it sounds like, there is a ever going speak of this on different FB groups.

The Greddy Pipe is amazing and the quality is hands down next to none. same with the COBB

I have installed two 1320 pipes. one was really nice and the other had a small fitment issue but otherwise was flawless and looked quality, time will tell how they hold up.

I stopped recommending Depo pipes after the last couple resent failures I have seen. for the price point I would say go with 1320.

OH and I went with Greddy because I got a deal on it, and because it was in stock and most importantly I can say I have Greddy turbo-back :p
I have literally not seen a SINGLE failure on a Depo pipe or for that matter ANY pipe lol. If the welds had an issue on the pipe and you contacted the seller it would almost certainly be replaced judging by how he has handled issues with welds on his Intercoolers. If welds failed it was probably a single batch of them since it seems like it's such a small issue. Where in the heck are you seeing failures? lol
Edit: Pretty sure it wasn't on this phone, but I have pictures somewhere of the pipe when I got it. Absolutely flawless and beautiful welds without a single mark on the entire pipe. Perfect work.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I bought the CJ Pony Parts house brand catted downpipe and am loving it (sitting in the box in the basement). Someday I'll get it on there!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have literally not seen a SINGLE failure on a Depo pipe or for that matter ANY pipe lol. If the welds had an issue on the pipe and you contacted the seller it would almost certainly be replaced judging by how he has handled issues with welds on his Intercoolers. If welds failed it was probably a single batch of them since it seems like it's such a small issue. Where in the heck are you seeing failures? lol
Edit: Pretty sure it wasn't on this phone, but I have pictures somewhere of the pipe when I got it. Absolutely flawless and beautiful welds without a single mark on the entire pipe. Perfect work.
as stated facebook groups. many of them, Forums are not active and people don't hardly post here. I had to search 100 posts back to find this and it was only posted on the 21st, I don't think 100 threads have been made on the forums this month. Anyways this is just 1 of many. do some searching and stop acting like "all is created equal" when it isn't. one is made in china and one is made my a craftsman... aka TB Performance for example, his downpipe is amazing among the best

Sorry I have no love for Depo DPs... I have Depo FMIC and depo charge pipes though so it isn't like I will not run Depo. Yes it could have been a bad batch and yes Depo will likely replace the DP if you send it back. so if saving a few bucks is worth it possible hassle then go for it.

example A:
Auto part Metal Machine

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
as stated facebook groups. many of them, Forums are not active and people don't hardly post here. I had to search 100 posts back to find this and it was only posted on the 21st, I don't think 100 threads have been made on the forums this month. Anyways this is just 1 of many. do some searching and stop acting like "all is created equal" when it isn't. one is made in china and one is made my a craftsman... aka TB Performance for example, his downpipe is amazing among the best

Sorry I have no love for Depo DPs... I have Depo FMIC and depo charge pipes though so it isn't like I will not run Depo. Yes it could have been a bad batch and yes Depo will likely replace the DP if you send it back. so if saving a few bucks is worth it possible hassle then go for it.

example A:
View attachment 270866
You've shown blatant bias towards companies on here before, and just one or a very small handful of instances don't make or break the quality of a product. He has literally hundreds of positive feedback instances on his work. The man is a hard working man who does his best and usually always delivers top notch craftsmanship in his products. Like I said my downpipe has some seriously perfect and much thicker than pictured in this photo welds. Looks to me like a bad batch at the most, nothing I wouldn't simply contact him and get a new one and be happy I saved hundreds of dollars by only spending $200 on his pipe. Don't criticize me and tell me to "do my research" when I researched this literally for weeks prior to making my decision. Hundreds of positive testimonials and recommendations on several platforms (namely Subaru since he's big over there also) led me to trust his work and save a lot of money. I'll continue recommending the company just like most of his customers even if you and maybe 2 or 3 other people you found on Facebook don't like him.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You've shown blatant bias towards companies on here before, and just one or a very small handful of instances don't make or break the quality of a product. He has literally hundreds of positive feedback instances on his work. The man is a hard working man who does his best and usually always delivers top notch craftsmanship in his products. Like I said my downpipe has some seriously perfect and much thicker than pictured in this photo welds. Looks to me like a bad batch at the most, nothing I wouldn't simply contact him and get a new one and be happy I saved hundreds of dollars by only spending $200 on his pipe. Don't criticize me and tell me to "do my research" when I researched this literally for weeks prior to making my decision. Hundreds of positive testimonials and recommendations on several platforms (namely Subaru since he's big over there also) led me to trust his work and save a lot of money. I'll continue recommending the company just like most of his customers even if you and maybe 2 or 3 other people you found on Facebook don't like him.
maybe you should re-read my last paragraph... and then take a chill out time from the interwebs. ;) might help your health and maybe your blood pressure will go down

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
maybe you should re-read my last paragraph... and then take a chill out time from the interwebs. ;) might help your health and maybe your blood pressure will go down
I read the last paragraph and it doesn't make up for the bias you are showing lol I'm not personally offended that you don't like something that I don't make. I'm just tired of people throwing around their personal opinion like it's mantra and sh!tting on companies who make good products cheap.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I'll chime in once. There are many great pipes made, I cant knock anyone, I havent honestly even had them in my hands. I sell a lot of Downpipes, probably more then many companies combined for this car. I would think the percentage of weld failures would be similar across the board. Mine are made in Taiwan, Taiwan is not mainland china , many big companies are made there, I dont think thats the problem. That section sees some serious heat and cooling, so if there is a welding flaw it can crack. One thing you wont find is someone saying Depo screwed them and didnt make it right, or didnt return my emails.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I read the last paragraph and it doesn't make up for the bias you are showing lol I'm not personally offended that you don't like something that I don't make. I'm just tired of people throwing around their personal opinion like it's mantra and sh!tting on companies who make good products cheap.
I have more right than most to be bias... thanks! how many Focus STs have you worked on in that past month? I have experience with almost every bolt on the focus platform.... I will just leave it at that so that I don't sound like I am bragging.

I am just giving my personal experience, not just "what I read on the internet"

you have installed a Depo dp and had good luck with it, great, but doesn't make them 100% perfect either.... oh and dont get me started on MBRP ;)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I am just giving my personal experience, not just "what I read on the internet"
Last reply to this stupid discussion,
Using this bit right here you render your argument useless. Since you quoted your source being from the internet, and you never said you personally saw one in person with any flaws. I'll let you go ahead since you sound like you're apparently a master Focus mechanic lol. I'll stick to my sources and you stick to your Facebook ones. ;) Agree to disagree.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Last reply to this stupid discussion,
Using this bit right here you render your argument useless. Since you quoted your source being from the internet, and you never said you personally saw one in person with any flaws. I'll let you go ahead since you sound like you're apparently a master Focus mechanic lol. I'll stick to my sources and you stick to your Facebook ones. ;) Agree to disagree.
For what its worth I know of someone who personally had a depo DP fail at the weld and had to have it re welded. Only ones I have heard of but probably because there are so many out there. So he's not just pulling the info out of thin air at least. That being said Im still considering Depo myself.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
For what its worth I know of someone who personally had a depo DP fail at the weld and had to have it re welded. Only ones I have heard of but probably because there are so many out there. So he's not just pulling the info out of thin air at least. That being said Im still considering Depo myself.
Thanks

I am not saying every one of them have an issue... I am saying buyer beware... and back to the original "all are equal" @brian60 when he made a claim that wasn't and isn't true but don't prove him wrong or he will just start quoting everything you say... because All DPs are NOT equal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts