Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best intercooler for the 2016 ST? Ill list out some of the ones I've found, but I'm curious which one is the best bang per buck. Im focused mainly on cooling because i don't plan going past 450whp.

Depo Beast 5.5/3.5

Mishimoto

Cobb

CP-E

Fswerks

Altitude autowerks big

Ive kinda found that i like either the deep beast 5.5, or the altitude one, but what do you guys use, and what else is out there?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Depo - You bought a quality intercooler for a cheap price
CPE - you bought a quality intercooler for way more money but you get to say you own something CPE
COBB - you bought a quality intercooler for way more money but you get to say you own COBB parts
Altitiude - you bought a radiator sized aircraft carrier capable intercooler (if your buying origional not the "smaller" sized version), thing looks titties behind the grill.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I just installed "The Beast", Depo racing 5.5" intercooler on my '17 this weekend. I haven't had much seat time since the install, however what seat time I have had the CAT (Charge Air Temp) has stayed 4° below ambient at its highest. I live in Houston and our weather since install has gone from 90° as a high on Sunday, to 58°-60° this morning. While driving in the 90° weather I saw a max of 87.X° CAT. This morning on the way to work I was at a steady 52.X°. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of back to back to back pulls. However Sunday night after I washed her, I went out and can say the power was way more consistent between pulls and the CAT never got above ambient when doing the pulls. Now, my pulls were about 1/2-3/4 throttle from 2nd to 4th shifting around 5000-5200rpm. On to pictures...everyone loves pictures...lol.

20171014_171232.jpg 20171014_172732.jpg 20171014_190030.jpg

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
So I just installed "The Beast", Depo racing 5.5" intercooler on my '17 this weekend. I haven't had much seat time since the install, however what seat time I have had the CAT (Charge Air Temp) has stayed 4° below ambient at its highest. I live in Houston and our weather since install has gone from 90° as a high on Sunday, to 58°
I can tell you have a 2015+. There is no such thing as "below ambient" unless you were activly cooling the fmic with sub zero gas/liquid. You cant be "below ambient" due to the laws of physics, but still, even with the calculations scew by the ECU, your still sub 12* off ambient 99% of the time. Its a good intercooler and she works well and does it for bottom dollar (I have the smaller son of beast).

Reactions: dankwise

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Mountune on my ‘16 ST. Seems to work fine for me. I have considered getting a Depo 3.5” but don’t know if there would be any real benefit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Best bang for the buck is a generic CXRacing kit or Mishimoto J Line core with custom elbows to go through stock locations.

Works just as well as the 3.5" Focus specific units, and can be completed for under $300.

I went with the Mishimoto custom fit for Focus pre-order and have been waiting months to save a couple hundred (still a $550 intercooler on sale). If I'd have know about this delay, I would have gone more generic and saved time and money.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Any intercooler but the oem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: STSnail

·
Registered
251 Posts
What is the best intercooler for the 2016 ST? Ill list out some of the ones I've found, but I'm curious which one is the best bang per buck. Im focused mainly on cooling because i don't plan going past 450whp.

Depo Beast 5.5/3.5

Mishimoto

Cobb

CP-E

Fswerks

Altitude autowerks big

Ive kinda found that i like either the deep beast 5.5, or the altitude one, but what do you guys use, and what else is out there?
cP-e definitely

1 - 12 of 12 Posts