Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cp-e ftw, best money spent in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
There are a number of options. Really depends on what you plan to do with the car and how much you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Cp-e/Steeda/Depo/Levels are all good. I have the Mountune, mostly because I prefer the way it mounts. It does what it needs to do, but costs quite a bit more. Most anything is better than the itty-bitty stock unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
CPE Depo and Levels seem to me the most popular from what i have seen. I personally have the Depo 3.5 and for the money i find it hard to beat, but don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Problem with Depo is they always sell out really quick, but you can shoot them an email and they will give you an ETA of when they will be back in stock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everyones answer seems pretty consistent, CPE, Levels, etc. I have noticed not a lot of people are big Cobb fans on this forum. In your guys opinions what makes CP-E et a better product than the Cobb Intercooler or do you like the price better? I am just curious because from my experience Cobb has made some great products. About to make a purchase and definitely want to make the right decision. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The biggest gripe with the COBB IC is that it's a bit on the pricey side. In the end, just about any IC is going to be much better than the stock unit. I have the Mountune which is only a little cheaper than the COBB. CP-e/Steeda/Depo racing are all great units that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Know​ what your end goal is, what kind of budget you want to dedicate, and what you want your intercooler to do before purchasing. If you're going to create a canyon carver or track car, maybe tube & fin like mountune fits the bill for like $900. If dragging or autocrossing the car, that giant CPE Delta core for $700 is great or it's smaller $600 sibling (or its Steeda twin) are wildly popular, even for daily drivers. Or, for a daily driver you don't want to spend a ton of cash on that gets the occasional highway onramp pull, maybe a $450 Depo Racing is what you're in the market for, which is also a great product with a huge fan base and performs just as well. So, decide what you want the intercooler to do first, then start shopping around.

As for Cobb: it's overpriced for what you get and doesn't perform any better. I had a mountune, sold it, was waiting for July 4th sales to get a CP-E lightweight, but am leaning towards the new Mishimoto. I like it's bigger than the lightweight, yet smaller and much lighter than the delta core. I like it keeps all the stock shrouds so air is properly directed through the intercooler and radiator and not around, as I don't want oil temps creeping up when I road trip. Price seems right. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought the mishimoto j-line universal intercooler for like 300 bucks and then made my own brackets out of 1/8th inch stainless steel. Was literally so easy and cost me under 400 dollars. It has kept me max 5 degrees over ambient even on hard pulls. If you go this way, be sure to get a cobalt tip, makes drilling through the crashbar a breeze.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does the lightweight CP-E require any shaving of the bumper due to it's size? Or will it fit no problem on 16 Focus ST? Also this hooks up direct to stock pipes correct? No drilling?

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
Does the lightweight CP-E require any shaving of the bumper due to it's size? Or will it fit no problem on 16 Focus ST? Also this hooks up direct to stock pipes correct? No drilling?
Shouldn't require shaving. Yes no drilling and you can use stock pipes.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up a used depo beast. Install wasn't bad and it's massive in person.

Being In Texas with 100° heat daily I am typically about 15-20 over ambient. Thinking the piping is next, see people posting close or a few over ambient and find it hard to believe, or there's something wrong with my unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts