Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's different threads on it but what's the best or most recommended intercooler kit to replace on a 2017? Got stage 1tune, green filter and cp-e rmm, want to do the FMIC now and full exhaust next month.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What is your power goals? are you going for stage 2 and no more or are you looking at going big turbo down the road.

The reason I ask is the best I/C for you is dependent on your budget and goals.

If you are only wanting to run stage 2 go for a cheap one like a levels. If you are going to go BT then get a more stout one like CPE or even Depo beast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little update! I?m stage 3 now........... current mods, cpe CAI, Denso 1 step colder spark plugs, the monster cpe intercooler, cpe RMM, MBRP catted downpipe, MBRP intercooler pipe kit, still debating if I want to get a Catback exhaust since it really gives no gains to the car. I?m probably going to go with the big turbo next. Also want to get stage 3+ clutch and flywheel

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Steeda/CPe Lightweight handles larger turbos just fine, so will any upgrade over the stock unit. That said I've said it once I'll say it again, flow is not the issue with the stock intercooler, it's temperature control.

A larger turbo will have much lower outlet temperatures. So going BT is not the reason to base your upgrade around upgrading the turbo flow will not be exceeded, it will work fine. Almost nobody here is interested in the outer limits of output and the majority when they upgrade are only looking at GTX28xx which will not exceed the physical strength of the engine and unless you race it on slicks won't exceed the stock clutch either.

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
331 Posts
Steeda/CPe Lightweight handles larger turbos just fine, so will any upgrade over the stock unit. That said I've said it once I'll say it again, flow is not the issue with the stock intercooler, it's temperature control.

A larger turbo will have much lower outlet temperatures. So going BT is not the reason to base your upgrade around upgrading the turbo flow will not be exceeded, it will work fine. Almost nobody here is interested in the outer limits of output and the majority when they upgrade are only looking at GTX28xx which will not exceed the physical strength of the engine and unless you race it on slicks won't exceed the stock clutch either.
Exactly so what's so wrong with wanting to keep the charge air temps in check with an intercooler upgrade? On hard pulls depending on ambient temps my charge air temps climb into the 170-190 range consistently.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Exactly so what's so wrong with wanting to keep the charge air temps in check with an intercooler upgrade? On hard pulls depending on ambient temps my charge air temps climb into the 170-190 range consistently.
Okay but an upgraded intercooler on the stock turbo drops it down between 100-130 degrees. A larger turbo also drop it down to around 120-130 degrees. Before you overspend on an item please understand what your goals are.

The constant pursuit of lower temps on the stock turbo is pointless, 130 degrees is fine. You aren't getting anymore out of the stock turbo. The majority of your gains come from ignition advance at that point, beyond the 20 hp or so you get from running an ethanol mix.

Reactions: screzzy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Okay but an upgraded intercooler on the stock turbo drops it down between 100-130 degrees. A larger turbo also drop it down to around 120-130 degrees. Before you overspend on an item please understand what your goals are.

The constant pursuit of lower temps on the stock turbo is pointless, 130 degrees is fine. You aren't getting anymore out of the stock turbo. The majority of your gains come from ignition advance at that point, beyond the 20 hp or so you get from running an ethanol mix.
My goals are to keep the stock turbo and squeeze the most out of the car as I can while keeping temps in check and keeping the engine running in tip top shape. A big turbo upgrade is in the $2k ballpark range give or take. FMIC is in the $350-$550 range. So again tell me how im overspending to obtain my goals?

And by your point I should ignore replacing the FMIC and bump up to stage 3 and ignore the 180-190 degree charge air temps im seeing after a hard pull? Sounds good to me....:popped out:

Also im not in the "constant pursuit of lower temps" all I'm wanting is to safely be able to run a stage 3 93 or e30 tune and from what ive read I will NEED a FMIC upgrade to do so. Again i have NO plans of going big turbo.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
My goals are to keep the stock turbo and squeeze the most out of the car as I can while keeping temps in check and keeping the engine running in tip top shape. A big turbo upgrade is in the $2k ballpark range give or take. FMIC is in the $350-$550 range. So again tell me how im overspending to obtain my goals?

And by your point I should ignore replacing the FMIC and bump up to stage 3 and ignore the 180-190 degree charge air temps im seeing after a hard pull? Sounds good to me....:popped out:

Also im not in the "constant pursuit of lower temps" all I'm wanting is to safely be able to run a stage 3 93 or e30 tune and from what ive read I will NEED a FMIC upgrade to do so. Again i have NO plans of going big turbo.
It's a good idea to get one. /endthread

It's getting way overthought at this point lol. You don't plan to go BT, so what he's saying is irrelevant. Get the intercooler. 96% of this forum will agree with that choice.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

That is NOT my point. My point is one intercooler that brings temps down 120 degree vs one that bring it down 130 degree is of no consequence, IE it doesn't matter which one you choose.

So there IS no best intercooler upgrade.

You don't have to upgrade the turbo if you're happy with the stock turbo, cost shouldn't be a real concern either.

Upgrade + Water Methanol = $2,900 400-500 hp (GTX30xx) ROI = (Mean 450hp) $6.44 per 1HP

Typical piecemeal Stage 3 about $1899 280-300 hp (Ethanol Blend) ROI = (Mean 290hp) $6.54 per 1HP

What I am saying is not irrevent you are not reading it correctly. Get the intercooler I didn't say NOT too, I said asking if $800 upgrade is better than a $250 upgrade matters none because both will reduce inlet temps and the end result will be the same Stage 2/3 power which has poor ROI as I just pointed out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Id say highest roi is depo..... So do a bunch of other people on what seems like 1000 different best intercooler threads..... I'm satisfied with my 3.5 son of beast .

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
bar and plate vs tube and fin.....
Otherwise would you pay double for cosmetic qualities on a part that is a simple air to air intercooler?????????

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is beaten to death now but there are definitely differences depending on what IC you choose. Core thickness and over-all size could effect airflow to your radiator which if I understand correctly is an advantage to the mountune unit. For daily driving any IC upgrade should do though...

My two cents

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The charge pipes seem to be pretty expensive. Are they needed if you not going BT?
I've seen a lot more expensive! and no, not needed at all, just don't like a couple of the restrictions that are in the OEM pipe where it necks down for a few inches. and I know that as soon as I get back from vacation in a couple weeks, I'll probably be ordering their catless DP. with how quickly its going to become stage 3 I know that will not be enough and will probably be saving up for a big(er) turbo upgrade pretty soon, so having it done now is just one less thing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts