Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,147 Posts
Dunlop ZII SS is your tire.

Mind you they cost a chunk more than the RE71. Depending on what you can get them for, the longevity may not be worth it.
^ That's 2 votes for the Dunlop Direzza ZII @NJFocusST so it comes down to money in this case an if they are worth it to your budget. To compromise between grip and longevity your wallet takes the hit.

Sticky Cheap Long-lasting <- Put these in a triangle and pick two, you don't get the other lol.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
^ That's 2 votes for the Dunlop Direzza ZII @NJFocusST so it comes down to money in this case an if they are worth it to your budget. To compromise between grip and longevity your wallet takes the hit.

Sticky Cheap Long-lasting <- Put these in a triangle and pick two, you don't get the other lol.

Yea I know that mantra very well. Looking for top 3 sticky+long lasting. I know the DD's are a great tire that wear well for an EP tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
The new Hankook RS4's seem to wear pretty well from what is being reported. If your willing to deal with noise, the Federal RS-RR's are pretty good as well. Just don't expect to go to a national auto-x event and place in the top 5 with them (ask me how I know....:lol::lol::lol:)

Reactions: Pfiles

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Any noticeable benefit in going with a 245/40 (for a daily that doesn't see the track) over the stock size or no? Will it handle worse? will the extra grip even be noticeable? a waste of money? so many questions...
I went in for Mich Pilot SS, and the 245s were cheaper than 235... so I said wtf not?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,147 Posts
RE71R in 245 40 18. Well that's what I'm putting on tomorrow. I would suggest daily driving these since you'll probably wear them out alot quicker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I'd guess UnfocusedST meant he would NOT recommend them for DD use, but man they are attractive tires I think! Driving with these things is just like being on rails and it's awesome...aside from getting the credit card bill at the end of the month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the market for my first set of new tires for my ST which is a DD. I really like the Pilot Sport 4s because I want a combination of strong grip and long tread life. I'm interested in going wider to 245 but I just lowered my car with Steeda springs. I've read somewhere that wider tires may rub if our cars are lowered. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm interested in going wider to 245 but I just lowered my car with Steeda springs. I've read somewhere that wider tires may rub if our cars are lowered. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I wouldn't expect 245s on the stock 55mm offset rims to rub, but then I don't have lowering springs. If you have them on rims that are lower offset (say 40mm), then you might rub.

So... take some measurements and use a site like https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/ if no one else responds with experience.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You are correct, but I don’t believe most people will be able to perceive an additional 4mm of sidewall vs the extra 10mm of contact patch. I’m definitely going 245/40 on my next set of tires, both for the extra bit of contact patch and a little more protection for the wheel.

·
Registered
814 Posts
So why is a 245/40/18 still faster than a 235/40/18, let's say in an RE71R? I dont know of any FoST's that have won at any national events in the dry on a narrow tire, let alone trophy.

Tire may be taller, but most would sacrifice the negligible roll over for a bit more width even if it is also slight.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
156 Posts
So why is a 245/40/18 still faster than a 235/40/18, let's say in an RE71R? I dont know of any FoST's that have won at any national events in the dry on a narrow tire, let alone trophy.

Tire may be taller, but most would sacrifice the negligible roll over for a bit more width even if it is also slight.
The additional benefit to the taller sidewall is a couple extra mph on the faster courses

·
Registered
814 Posts
Faster is relative, and Im sure there are some undlerlyer's that may be running a 235 and be "fast". As far as having any backing behind that, I haven't seen one FoST even trophy at a national event on a 235 in either a street or street touring class.

Switching to 255s is a given because of the wider contact patch, but even a friend of mine that ran his FoST in GS last year runnered up at a match tour on 245s. A FoST in the same class on 235s with an equally competitive driver, 11th.....

Now if you are comparing compound over size and have to choose between the two, of course I would choose better tire compound over width.....if all else is the same, then the widest tire you can fit safely.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
156 Posts
Faster is relative, and Im sure there are some undlerlyer's that may be running a 235 and be "fast". As far as having any backing behind that, I haven't seen one FoST even trophy at a national event on a 235 in either a street or street touring class.

Switching to 255s is a given because of the wider contact patch, but even a friend of mine that ran his FoST in GS last year runnered up at a match tour on 245s. A FoST in the same class on 235s with an equally competitive driver, 11th.....

Now if you are comparing compound over size and have to choose between the two, of course I would choose better tire compound over width.....if all else is the same, then the widest tire you can fit safely.
I've always wondered what each 10mm of tire is worth around say a 45-second course. Of course a lot of factors go into something like that, but I would take a guess at .2-.5 seconds.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've always wondered what each 10mm of tire is worth around say a 45-second course.
I'm currently getting a handle on that. My original plan was to test 235/17 for rain tires, but Tirerack politely reminded me that they're not load rated for the FoST, so I got 245/17 instead. They worked great in their first rain test at the PCA event last Sunday and I got good data, but Saturday will hopefully be their first dry test. Gonna rain again for Sunday. And there are two more events on my calendar at the same location before the season ends, so should have enough data to draw some conclusions.

Edit: Primary among "a lot of factors" will include ambient temps. The hotter it is, the more important wider tires become so you're not overheating the compound. The narrower tire should be better for colder conditions as it will come up to best temperature sooner. Or at least that is the theory!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Going to a 245/40/18 gives you more sidewall which give the tire more body roll. Sticking with a 235/40/18 give you the smaller sidewall and less body roll.
If that were really the big concern that you think it is, then the FoRS autocrossers wouldn't be using 265 & 255 tires at the top level. I would consider the 265s, but the FoST has 40% less spring rate than the FoRS and I can already pull enough Gs with the 255s to just barely lift 2 inside wheels off the ground through a sweeper.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts