Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
what are the best tires for grip? should i go wider wheels at all or just stickier tires?
Better compound will usually always outperform a larger tire.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
the avg drivers cant tell the difference between one brand to the next if the specs match... ie 235/40-18 and a 200 treadwear tire

Take any high performance summer tire and slap it on your car and you will think it is amazing!

You have to have experience with different tires and compounds before you can truly tell me that one tire is better than the next, most people have had one set of tires on their car and they will tell you it is the best... means nothing. and don't read reviews on Tirerack with race boys that say this tire is amazing blah blah blah but yet they have nothing to compare it to.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with your car? if you are driving back and forth to work daily... get a set of Mich Pilot sport AS3+s or for track get Pilot super sports... or BridgeStoners RE71Rs are a great tire as well. those are really my only real world experience. the factory Goodyears hold no value so burn them off and go pick up basically any 200AA tire and have fun.

want really sticky get a set of Nitto NT01s. but have fun buying tires if you daily on them... because 100AA :furious:

·
Registered
613 Posts
compound > size. On the track, larger tires can be nice as they will take more heat, or smaller ones will heat up quicker.... depends what you're going for.

almost all tires theres a tradeoff and not one is going to be best in all conditions. NT01 would be great on the track and hot summer weather, but 50 degree weather it's not going to be very grippy.

Michelin pilot super sport is probably the best all around street summer tire / no snow use (or the PS4S or whatever the replacement is). Biggest con is the price, but they also come iwht a 30k warranty, so expect them to wear well. I'm also pretty interested in this new Continental extremecontact sport tire. I might get them over the PSS/PS4S if the price is right.

If you're talking max grip in straight line then you'd want to look at drag radials

I feel like I'm rambling now, we need to know more about what you want and how you will be using the car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
Yeah once you answer UnfocusedST's question we can further narrow this down for you, but I recently was in the same situation of finding the best tire for myself and I ended up with the Pilot Super Sports for several reasons. 1- I'm a commuter of 60 miles a day to and from work Mon-Fri so I need good tread life 2- I drive spirited often and like to occasionally autocross...the PSS is the best rated summer tire because it excels in these areas 3- It's tried and true by countless people/companies and they always come out on top in Dry traction, wet traction, treadwear etc. 4- It's Michelin...that's "my brand."

Arguably you could get Re-71s that will beat PSS's around a autocross course all day, or if you go to actual tracks and beat your tires and car to a pulp often then Nitto NT01 will reign over them, but if you commute like me then dishing out for a set of Re-71s every single year or NT01's probably after less than 10k miles? That isn't much fun...UNLESS you want them for that purpose...your call.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah once you answer UnfocusedST's question we can further narrow this down for you, but I recently was in the same situation of finding the best tire for myself and I ended up with the Pilot Super Sports for several reasons. 1- I'm a commuter of 60 miles a day to and from work Mon-Fri so I need good tread life 2- I drive spirited often and like to occasionally autocross...the PSS is the best rated summer tire because it excels in these areas 3- It's tried and true by countless people/companies and they always come out on top in Dry traction, wet traction, treadwear etc. 4- It's Michelin...that's "my brand."

Arguably you could get Re-71s that will beat PSS's around a autocross course all day, or if you go to actual tracks and beat your tires and car to a pulp often then Nitto NT01 will reign over them, but if you commute like me then dishing out for a set of Re-71s every single year or NT01's probably after less than 10k miles? That isn't much fun...UNLESS you want them for that purpose...your call.
Any noticeable benefit in going with a 245/40 (for a daily that doesn't see the track) over the stock size or no? Will it handle worse? will the extra grip even be noticeable? a waste of money? so many questions...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
Any noticeable benefit in going with a 245/40 (for a daily that doesn't see the track) over the stock size or no? Will it handle worse? will the extra grip even be noticeable? a waste of money? so many questions...
Personal preference, but if you can afford to do so more rubber is always better. I've seen 245 put a whole second faster times down in AutoX over 235 before, that pushed me to get 245/40. Plus it was like 2 more dollars per tire at the time

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I like that anwser!! Yea i do travel but i want something that will dig into the pavment when launching

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
basically here is the scoop i want something that will allow me to handel better than the stock setup and also be able to dig in when launching because all that happens not is spinning into third gear and it makes my car slow!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Overall spirited driving on roads with turns and well something that will give me the grip i need to launch with little spinning!

·
Registered
170 Posts
basically here is the scoop i want something that will allow me to handel better than the stock setup and also be able to dig in when launching because all that happens not is spinning into third gear and it makes my car slow!!
RE-71R baby. They will be eviscerated in 10-15,000 street miles, but you gotta pay to play :cool:

I just put on a set of 235/40R18 on the stock wheels and will be using them purely for street driving. I only drive 7000 miles each summer (and use separate winter tires) so these work for me. If you keep them over winter, you will need to store them inside as freezing temps may ruin the grip. Still waiting for the mold compound to burn off and they are already much grippier than the Eagles. Traction while ripping it in second gear! And the grip while turning... is unreal.

Just feeling the sidewall by hand unmounted compared to the F1's, the RE71's are lock rocks. They make the F1's feel like soft baloonish winter tires. The guy in my shop took 1.5 hours to get them on the rims and kept cursing how stiff they were. However on the car, the difference is not that noticable. No less comfortable than the F1's as far as I can perceive.

You may also want to consider the Dunlop ZII star spec. They are very similar tires, but the Dunlop has slightly less (still amazing) grip, will last 50% longer, and is reportedly better in the wet (RE is still great as long as there is no deep standing water). Both tires achieve max grip without requiring much heat (great for street or autox).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would recommend doing a search on tirerack and sort by UTQG (tread life). Lower UTQG means a softer rubber compound and better grip, but you sacrifice tread life. Stock tires are 240 UTQG. There are quite a few options at 200 UTQG. There are a couple below that.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
I would recommend doing a search on tirerack and sort by UTQG (tread life). Lower UTQG means a softer rubber compound and better grip, but you sacrifice tread life. Stock tires are 240 UTQG. There are quite a few options at 200 UTQG. There are a couple below that.
This isn't accurate I'm afraid, the Pilot Super Sports are 300 UTQG and grip insanely better than the F1's which are indeed rated at 240. Different compounds can be way stickier and still last a long time. PSS's have a 30k mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
to piggback off the OP's original question, I'm looking for at Extreme Perf summer tires. MPSS while great summer tires don't offer enough traction. So I want to step up to a 200 tread summer tire.

I know pretty much any 200 tread "extreme" summer tire will have more grip than the MPSS in all likelyhood, I'd like to mitigate them wearing out so quickly....as much as possible (which does not include driving like a granny). What are some of the longer lasting 200 tread summer tires?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
to piggback off the OP's original question, I'm looking for at Extreme Perf summer tires. MPSS while great summer tires don't offer enough traction. So I want to step up to a 200 tread summer tire.

I know pretty much any 200 tread "extreme" summer tire will have more grip than the MPSS in all likelyhood, I'd like to mitigate them wearing out so quickly....as much as possible (which does not include driving like a granny). What are some of the longer lasting 200 tread summer tires?
RE-71R or 11's in this case. Last decently long for such a performer, and will definitely put better times down vs a PSS in AutoX but slack in DD ability vs it.

11's do better treadwear I think 71's do better dry traction

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
RE-71R or 11's in this case. Last decently long for such a performer, and will definitely put better times down vs a PSS in AutoX but slack in DD ability vs it.

11's do better treadwear I think 71's do better dry traction
Thanks Brian. Yea I'm aware of the RE11's will outlast the 71's typically but not as much ultimate grip as the 71's.

Any other suggestions? Willing to trade off a little grip as compared to the 71R's for a little better longevity....Falken Axenis RT615K/K?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
Thanks Brian. Yea I'm aware of the RE11's will outlast the 71's typically but not as much ultimate grip as the 71's.

Any other suggestions? Willing to trade off a little grip as compared to the 71R's for a little better longevity....Falken Axenis RT615K/K?
Direzza Z11s get a lot of attention in AutoX also. They're salty though. They have the best treadwear average in the Extreme category.

The Falkens wear fast if you want to go that route, they are still great tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Dunlop ZII SS is your tire.

Mind you they cost a chunk more than the RE71. Depending on what you can get them for, the longevity may not be worth it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts