Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm hesitant to start a "what's the best downpipe" thread :big smile::haha: but I swear, I did search and I also tried to comb through 448 pages of the all encompassing exhaust thread but any downpipe specific info is so buried in there and I just didn't feel like it. Rather take the ridicule from you guys, LOL...so...flame away.

So is there really a difference between all the ones out there? Leaning towards Cobb since I have their catback, and also leaning towards catted for any emissions concerns and fear a non-catted may be too loud. Even catted is going to be louder. Mountune seems to be nice but it's even more than the Cobb. OK...let me have it, and what you make your decisions on for this component. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I run MBRP Catless dp, I got it in the black and I would not of gone any other way. Many people will say go Depo due to it costing less. But they all will all give you the same results.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Belittle-Flame_Thrower.jpg

Couldn't resist, and you told me too.
I have nothing to add to this thread, but I have the same question and as much as I hate the idea of a knock off anything on my car I am having a hard time justifying the price of the downpipes available for the ST. I keep eye balling the Depot Racing catless based purely on price. I could be wrong but without the cat it is just a tube right? How can a tube with some minor machining for a flange cost so much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
So I'm hesitant to start a "what's the best downpipe" thread :big smile::haha: but I swear, I did search and I also tried to comb through 448 pages of the all encompassing exhaust thread but any downpipe specific info is so buried in there and I just didn't feel like it. Rather take the ridicule from you guys, LOL...so...flame away.

So is there really a difference between all the ones out there? Leaning towards Cobb since I have their catback, and also leaning towards catted for any emissions concerns and fear a non-catted may be too loud. Even catted is going to be louder. Mountune seems to be nice but it's even more than the Cobb. OK...let me have it, and what you make your decisions on for this component. Thanks guys.
See the part I bolded? The answer is no. If you take a catless pipe from X and compare it to a catless from Y it'll be structurally the exact same for every brand other than O2 sensor placement and weld differences. If you want to support a brand, go ahead it's your money and it'll do the same thing.

I personally understand they are all the same and went Depo Racing like Bradley said above and the welds are absolutely perfect and beautiful. 200 bucks well spent for the exact same thing as the other guy.

If you wanna go HI-Flow cat then you could start seeing minor differences between structure of the cat and 100-cell vs 200-cell or 400-cell for example. Just go catless and get the max power and sound ;)

Edit: @methodicreign yes. It's a tube, which is why they are identical. Cost is due to demand/Stainless steel.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Magna Flow has what they refer to as a catalytic converter, which is actually a high flow down pipe; I believe it is a 400 cell count.

Federal 51633

Summit used to sell them at a reasonable price; much less than Cobb.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Magna Flow has what they refer to as a catalytic converter, which is actually a high flow down pipe; I believe it is a 400 cell count.

Federal 51633

Summit used to sell them at a reasonable price; much less than Cobb.
To add to this, high cell count = better filtering (less emissions) and less smell...but also less airflow.

catless will have a particular smell to it, but a lot of members on here still pass emissions with a catless. It's all about where you live there. Some places will sniff the car then pass you...or look under the car after you "passed" and fail you because you don't have a cat. I don't have emissions testing here so I don't worry lol

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
To add to this, high cell count = better filtering (less emissions) and less smell...but also less airflow.

catless will have a particular smell to it, but a lot of members on here still pass emissions with a catless. It's all about where you live there. Some places will sniff the car then pass you...or look under the car after you "passed" and fail you because you don't have a cat. I don't have emissions testing here so I don't worry lol
No emissions testing here either; Magna Flow claims it is federal emissions legal...

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a Depo Catless. For what is ultimately just a pipe you can't beat the price/quality ratio with it. It does make the car smell funky so if you live in a state with emissions you will need to get the catted version.

·
Registered
371 Posts

The smell is intoxicating. May lead to bank accounts being drained further :wink:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
The smell is intoxicating. May lead to bank accounts being drained further :wink:
This morning I got a good whiff at the stop sign out from of my bank and I was like man what a good decision this was lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wellp...I just did some research and I am not subject to any state/emissions/smog testing in my area. How about that. Now the only concern would be the volume/drone of the Cobb cat back with no cat downpipe. Others have complained about the drone of the Cobb system. It's there, but it's either decreased due to break-in or me becoming accustomed to it. Either way, I certainly wouldn't want to increase it. Just thinking outloud.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Wellp...I just did some research and I am not subject to any state/emissions/smog testing in my area. How about that. Now the only concern would be the volume/drone of the Cobb cat back with no cat downpipe. Others have complained about the drone of the Cobb system. It's there, but it's either decreased due to break-in or me becoming accustomed to it. Either way, I certainly wouldn't want to increase it. Just thinking outloud.
Both would probably (at least a tiny wee bit) increase it. HOWEVER, the catless turbo back Cobb exhaust videos (which doesn't mean you need Cobb catless DP, Depo would sound the same) is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on our car ever I think. Just youtube "Cobb catless turboback" and you'll find them. It's magnificent and the turbo sound you'll hear is awesome. I'd go catless, but your call.

·
Registered
371 Posts
you have dual resonators, I could not imagine drone would be too bad. Anything over 70 in my car, gets pretty loud in the cabin though

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see a catless Cobb unit on their site (nor Stratified site) or anywhere else. Nor a catless Mountune. Not saying dead set on one of those two, just an observation.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Does a higher cell count mean higher cost also? Looking at the Depo with 100 cell count vs all others with 200 cell count at double the price almost.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Does a higher cell count mean higher cost also? Looking at the Depo with 100 cell count vs all others with 200 cell count at double the price almost.
Catted pipes definitely do have a higher price than catless due to the fact that it's a extra work to add a cat to the pipe. However I can't say whether or not the higher cell count makes the price go up vs a lower cell count. That's another reason I went catless, I don't think it's worth the money at all for some of the catted pipes. They want 500+ dollars for some pipes with a cat and that just makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Catted pipes definitely do have a higher price than catless due to the fact that it's a extra work to add a cat to the pipe. However I can't say whether or not the higher cell count makes the price go up vs a lower cell count. That's another reason I went catless, I don't think it's worth the money at all for some of the catted pipes. They want 500+ dollars for some pipes with a cat and that just makes no sense to me.
Exactly my thought. The Depo with the cat is only 300...I don't see how some of the others are so much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Exactly my thought. The Depo with the cat is only 300...I don't see how some of the others are so much.
Precisely. I wouldn't dare bash any of the other brands because they are extremely good quality brands, but the value is unbeatable for seemingly identical quality.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I can tell you from recently doing mucho homework, on other forums, and research for new cats for a different car/project, not all cats are created equal. There just may be some validity to the price index for the catted versions. There's a bit of craftsmanship and semi-exotic materials that go into a quality cat. And also, for that kind of money, you want it to last. Cheap cats are not going to last. I don't know if the X00 cell count has a bearing on quality or just flow, but there's a difference. Like someone mentioned, I'm not going to bag on Depo or any company having not seen or used their products, but a good cat isn't cheap. I would suspect the price premium for a cat from Cobb or Mountune (just to pick two that we obviously know is top shelf) is well worth the $200 difference to have a quality piece that will do it's job and last for several several years and miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts